eScan Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AlexC, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

What do you guys think about eScan AV?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I know it did the best on removal in the 2009 AV-C. It is multi-engined, and from what I've read here it is heavy, which makes sense since it has multiple engines.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have installed eScan IS on my friends PC. It is running quite fine there. According to him it was least annoying AV he ever seen. As far I have observed, it has no observable impact on PC. Excellent detection. It used to make FPs but no longer.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I tried it and liked it,I think it was said to produce many false positives,but I did not experience any at all.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

They have improved a little in the FPs department.

Webscan and paranoid scan options (i.e. "scan everything" type settings) make eScan heavy. Otherwise it is quite light.

There are still issues with the program - the real-time quarantine, for example, is different from the on-demand quarantine. There is no proactive protection module other than the "proactive scan" (which is quite intrusive at times).

Still, it's a cheap solution and quite decent for its price. The firewall, however, is nothing to write home about.

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What antivirus engine(s) does eScan use?

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Has anyone used eScan's Antivirus Rescue CD for cleaning an infected PC?

I do not remember seeing any mention of eScan's Antivirus Rescue CD in this forum.

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Bitdefender + In-House

9. Dark Shadow

It is cheap at $26.00 a year for 1 PC and right now they offer 40 percent off for switching over from another AV.

10. Dark Shadow

I dont know why and exactly remember but something about Escan made me think it had Drweb engine.

11. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I think they use a single engine and its their own. (verified through contacting their support via live chat).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. gery

gery Registered Member

they used to running bitdefender once upon a time

13. gery

gery Registered Member

provide link please as i already checked their site and there's nothing there

14. Dark Shadow

Attached Files:

15. gery

gery Registered Member

16. Dark Shadow

Your welcome.

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

They used to use Kaspersky engine but they switched to Bitdefender and still uses that.
    To confirm this you can use Free eScanAV Anti-Virus Toolkit (MWAV)
    http://www.escanav.com/english/content/products/MWAV/escan_mwav.asp
    It uses the same engine and definitions as eScan products and it also gets engine update like main products.
    There you will be able to see definitions named emalware.XXX , e_spyw.iXX like that in Bitdefender.
    But it also uses some technologies of Kaspersky. Some screenshots to support my comment.

http://i.imgur.com/cfjDb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OLoNX.jpg

18. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Nice pics. Apparently their support is unaware of these included technologies. :doubt:

19. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Their support is less informed than most other AV companies. Once I had some FPs that I went to report but they were not accepting that as FPs but suggesting me to remove them without giving any explanations. But I denied to do that. Later I found that those FPs were actually Potentially Unwanted Modification (PUM) but instead of mentioning that name it was reporting those as some rogue infection trace...:ninja:

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Their technical support has a lot of queries and (in my opinion) are trained to handle requests quickly even if it means not being fully accurate with information.

Generally, their email support is a lot more informed (and helpful) than their chat support, which is actually mainly intended for beginner users.

The product (eScan) implements the BitDefender SDK - scan engine, unpack engine, full set of definitions and heuristics and some real-time drivers.
    The rootkit scan driver is their own, as is the primary real-time scan.

The references to Kaspersky are basically the legacy of old versions - eScan used Kaspersky till version 10 was released, if I remember correctly. Their own engine was in development all this time though.

Initially, eScan was a rebranding of GDATA AVK with a single Kaspersky engine. As such they utilized the stock drivers from Kaspersky's 4.x SDK for their real-time scanning (hence the names AVPM, AVPMAPP, etc.). This continued onwards - with the change in engine, the scan drivers changed completely but the old names remained. The team also seems to have kept old traces of the interface wherever they could.

Thus, a lot of interface-related code in eScan is legacy code of Kaspersky and GDATA from old versions. However, the actual scan itself is now done by the BitDefender engine SDK + eScan's own engine. Their own engine mainly helps to add urgent definitions, to program removal procedures and to exclude certain programs from detection where it is deemed necessary.

Actually, neither eScan nor BitDefender explicitly mention any contact between each other. Why either of these companies remain silent about their cooperation is currently unknown, but as it stands, eScan does use the BitDefender engine and definitions.

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks Firecat...:)

22. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I've been using Free eScanAV Anti-Virus Toolkit (MWAV) and i find it a very good tool :thumb:

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Same here...:)

24. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

Isn't it using Kaspersky Engine??

Attached Files:

25. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Read replies #17 and #20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.