Disappointed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Katana, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana

Katana Registered Member

I am curious to know who experienced the same as I did in the past. I am using Eset NOD 32 Security for a couple of years now and even promote their product since I am the one eyed king in the land of the blind when it comes to PC’s. I searched hundreds of sites in the past and never got any issues, but last week something happened. I am not sure if it was only spy and/or virus related, but XP notified me of an infiltration. There was about 29 virus related issues. NOD picked up 3. This all happened while searching for gym equipment….promise.
    This caused all my shortcuts to stop working and I could not even access my “Add/Remove program” button in Control panel.
    I am a bit disappointed since ESET was up to date and I am not full time on the Internet. That specific day contained more searches than normal since I was looking for companies, but still, it is not a full time search. I got it within about three minutes while loading multiple Tabs using Firefox at 384 Kbps….not super fast when it comes to loading pages.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, there is nothing like 100% protection against threats and every antivirus misses more or less of them.
    You wrote "XP notified me of an infiltration. There was about 29 virus related issues." which sounds like rouge software that made it to your system. Unfortunately, we don't know:
    - what version of the sig. database and modules you had installed
    - whether all modules were running at the moment the threat was run
    - whether you didn't have another security software potentially clashing with ESET installed
    - the full path to the name of the file as well as the name of the threat (if detected by another AV) or MDA5/SHA1 hash of the allegedly malicious file

I'd suggest contacting customer care or emailing samples[at]eset.com and providing a log from SysInspector for perusal.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

keep scripting disabled in your browser and only enable it for trusted sites. keep your os and av current and updated. you will find very little disappointment on the net malware wise.

4. Katana

Katana Registered Member

Not an expert but let me try to give some feedback:
    1) ESET was up to date but I did not force an update. IT updates automatically. Sometimes the "eye" gets red, then I force it, if you can call it that way
    2) Modules running? Is it not started on its own once your PC starts up?
    3) Nope. I know that you can't have more than one installed.
    4) I formatted the PC and did not make a print screen of the listed threats, my bad. I will update ESET and do the search again and see what happens.

I am with you on the 100% thing, but XP (and this is the first time ever) picked it up and gave me a warning. I am not paying XP for Anti-virus/spam protection, yet it picked it up, but not ESET, which I paid for. Then, doing a scan, it picked up 3 vs. 29. After that, ESET was removed from the bar at the bottom right and was only visible from the Start menu, but not executing.

Maybe it is a mistake on my side, but please, notify me so that I may correct it if possible.

5. Katana

Katana Registered Member

Thanks. Can't remember when last I did update my OS....three years ago maybe. Maybe it updates automatically as well....

6. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Xp does not give any virus/infection detections, what you are seeing is a rogue AntiVirus like XP Antivirus/AntiSpyware 2012. The reason that ESET is not running is due to other malware that this rogue downloads, usually Rootkit ZeroAccess aka Sirefef, that kills Security software and changes the file permissions on them so that they are unable to run. In other cases the infection will be a Rootkit TDL4 modification aka Alureon.

Unfortunately, all AntiViruses are struggling to keep up with detection of these rogues. An indication of this is to visit any dedicated Malware Removal forums like MajorGeeks, Bleeping Computer, GeeksToGo etc - their boards are clogged full of posts relating to these threats.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  7. Katana

Katana Registered Member

May I ask for the English version of the above? :)

What you say seems to be the truth or just luck since my ESET updated more than usual the last couple of days....but not todayo_O

This was the first time I got it and the quickest also.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.