Completely removing "Whitesmoke"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by m_albert, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m_albert

m_albert Registered Member

Gurus,

I was infected last night with some Whitesmoke components, after installing some freeware that at first glance, looked legit enough.

I have Nod32 v5, and as soon as I opened Chrome and toolbars started installing, Nod32 sprang to life, blocking, cleaning, etc., and the toolbars were gone, and as far as I can tell most of the "bad" parts were gone. I immediately ran a full scan with Nod32, which found nothing, and a full scan with MalwareBytes, which also reported nothing.

However, when I use Chrome (haven't tried another browser yet), a lot of my pages are still redirected, and I can't do searches in the omnibar, Whitesmoke immediately redirects me to a whitesmoke URL and Nod32 blocks the page from going there.

Any ideas on what I can do to fully remove the lingering traces of Whitesmoke that still remain?

Thanks for your time,

-Michael

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. m_albert

Thank you Cudni!

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Also: submit the site to ESET for further analysis. WOT scorecard for Whitesmoke

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

Also check your network settings as it may have changed your DNS servers

6. m_albert

Thanks folks for your great advice. It seems that Nod32 did indeed prevent any major intrusion by the Whitesmoke stuff. My ongoing problems with Chrome were finally solved by simply uninstalling Chrome, rebooting, and re-installing.

After that, no more page redirects or warnings from Nod32.

Thanks again for all the help!

-Michael

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You're welcome for the assistance, I have submitted an infected file to ESET for analysis since the offending content is blacklisted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.