Canonical on Oracle's Java

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Canonical to remove Oracle's Sun Java from users' systems
    and
    from https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-December/001528.html

My LibreOffice shows that I have /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre. Can anyone who understands what's going on please tell me if what I have will be removed?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I'm not answering your question, but I have to comment that this action reminds me of this thread.
    Also from the article:

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If you have Sun's JDK installed from Canonical's Partner Repository, it will be removed. Same if it was manually installed from the old Sun site.
    To check: Having any of the undermentioned packages installed means that you will be affected by the changes ... (from the link in your post)

sun-java6-jre
    sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-plugin
    ia32-sun-java6-bin
    ia32-sun-java6-plugin
    sun-java6-fonts
    sun-java6-jdk
    sun-java6-demo
    sun-java6-source
    sun-java6-javadb

Running 11.10, you will have either installed openjdk-6-jre or openjdk-7-jre from the main repos; or you will have downloaded openjdk from Oracle and manually installed it. Either way you will be unaffected.
    I will also be unaffected as I have downloaded and manually installed the jre runtime from Oracle.

vasa1, that's how I read it, it is damn confusing though.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks, Ocky! I don't have anything starting with "sun" or "ia32". At least I didn't see them when I ran:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections > installed-software
    or when I searched via Synaptic. Plus, I haven't gone to Oracle's site at all.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Surprisingly, OpenJDK works fine for me nowadays.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Whatever I have is sufficient to run my macros in LibreOffice Calc. I manage without Java while browsing. I have the IcedTea plug-in disabled in both Chrome and Firefox.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Java days, much like flash, are numbered.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its used a lot in the business world, it won't go anywhere for a long time.

Cheers Nick.

9. elapsed

Yeah and Flash is used pretty much everywhere due to it's easy DRM.

Just because the plank is long doesn't mean they're not walking it.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

So, when Java is gone, does this mean the end for LibreOffice/OpenOffice? I can see which hegemony that would benefit.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I doubt that. Libre was supposedly working towards being Java-free, though it doesn't look like they have that down pat just yet. Whether someone comes up with a Java-free office suite or not, as long as businesses use the crap, we'll have to deal with it still being around and used in one place or another on the web.

12. Daveski17

Oh OK. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's getting late here though & I'm having difficulty concentrating ...

13. guest

guest Guest

I think nop.

I'm now using LibreOffice Portable without any kind of Java, and without warnings as well. To stop the warnings, I opened LibreOffice > clicked on Tools > clicked on Options > clicked on Java > unchecked the Use a Java runtime environment option > OK.

I know some features may not work under this setup, but for what I use LibreOffice, I never needed these features and I sincerely don't care about what are these features as well.

They are almost there.

14. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I could not disagree more.

1) Java is a language, a really wonderful language at that - it's got great security features and it's easy to learn. It's one of the most commonly known languages.

The issues with "Java" are not with java, they are with the Oracle VM.

2) Java is an incredibly portable language. Because of this it's used for millions of devices such as microwaves or toys.

3) Flash isn't dying out. I've talked about this before on here - it's a highly popular and developed platform and HTML5 isn't even close to a standard, by the time it's standardized (in like... a decade) Flash will have evolved a dozen times and we'll be moving on to HTML6.

15. Daveski17

That's interesting. I use LibreOffice on my computers, although I have had some problem with the Portable Apps version & it just won't run for me. It may be the thumbdrive I was using, either way OpenOffice portable works for me so I'm OK.

16. Daveski17

Yeah, I tend to be with you on this one. I really don't see Java disappearing any time soon. Nor Flash for that matter.

17. guest

guest Guest

I use all those portable apps on local disks (C:/ , "usually") as well. I just copy them to a folder, exactly the same way with thumbdrives. :D

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely agree with number 3. I've said it a hundred times, but people have to understand that you can't just "switch over" from Flash to HTML5. The web is a very large place, website developers and other designers are going to stick with what they know for as long as they can, and it's just simply not feasible to change such a widely used technology quickly. This is why I still believe browser devs jumped way ahead in trying to shove their preferred support into their products (this included hardware acceleration, as it wasn't even on their minds until the "HTML5 bug" started spreading like a cold in a homeless shelter.

So much expectation for HTML5, and, like you said, we're a good 10+ years from it even being "set in stone" so to speak. By then, who knows what we'll be doing on the web and with the web (if SOPA doesn't destroy it, that is). Flash has its issues, but it's going nowhere yet. Very little is being done with the equally very little HTML5 that is sort of "set". Java as a language, fine, Java as a plugin needs to die. However, again, it'll be with us as long as businesses still use it for their software/websites.

19. Daveski17

That's an interesting idea.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Something was lost in translation; let's focus only on the subject: Oracle's Java.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Why Java Isn't Dead On Ubuntu
    A deceptive headline caused a panic in the Ubuntu community. Don't worry, Java is going to be there for a long time yet.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Canonical backtracks on deleting Oracle's Sun Java

23. elapsed

They can't do it now, not after all their fanboys and zealots screamed how naughty MS is for adding the ability to remove a simple app from people's PC's. Showing people they have the ability to delete an entire program, something just a tad more serious, would be crazy! :blink: But it's ok because of excuse XYZ, I'll continue to use Mint Debian.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Fortunately, they don't care about the opinions you keep on spouting.

25. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

After Oracle took over Sun Java, I decided to leave it for good, so far Open JDK has worked out fine in all my Linux deployments of Ubuntu, CentOS and RH.

Canonical's take on why Sun was removed is well explained and doesn't need chants from M$ fanbois who from time to time will spew their venom as usual. The licensing issue stance of Oracle is the real issue behind this fiasco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.