Best Anonymous Browsing and Email

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

It seems there is always a lot of talk on the Wilders forum about anonymizing surfing, email, etc. With the demise of the only near 100% anonymizing tool from Zero Knowledge - "Freedom" - (not the little software package they have now, I mean back in the good old "nym" days) there hasn't been much available.

Well, now there is a close rival for a great deal (if you trust Anonymizer --- and I trust Lance Cottrell with everything I have). It is Secure Tunneling from Anonymizer.com ....it still costs some bucks (this is their top-of-the-line offering and is far different than the basic masking service).

Anonymizer is running a special that, while steep, is worth every penny in my opinion. Lance is now offering Secure Tunneling, and even THROWING IN the SSH client software, F-Secure, for free. (by itself F-Secure can reach the price of this whole program).

Try $99.95 a year. That, friends, is only eight bucks a month. We're talking complete anonymity from even your ISP! Anonymous FTP and even USENET! Truly anonymous email is now included. Tough, tough, tough to beat and I look for these solutions A LOT.

A comparison:

http://www.anonymizer.com/services/fsecure/infograph.html

About Secure Tunneling (renamed the Ultimate Security Suite):
    http://www.anonymizer.com/ultimate_security/

I honestly haven't ever seen a deal THIS good. I know many couldn't touch it for even this price, but at one time, I believe this exact same package was up around $300 a year. It had made a drop and now - this. If you can afford it at all, I recommend it as the best, most secure choice for anonymity available in the world.

When I was told of this deal - I didn't believe it. I wanted to pass it along to my Wilders friends. Despite that negative 15 over there to the left, I know I still have some friends here. In fact, there are many good people here.

Take care

John Little
    Luv2BSecure

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

John, just why you've got negative karma is beyond my comprehension. I know you to be a good man and an excellent contributor here.

Have a good karma cookie, my friend. :)

3. root

root Registered Member

Hi John, good to see you. ;)
    I am a member of anonymizer, but have found it to be extremely slow, so I don't use it much. Do you know if this tunneling is fast? I could fork over the $$, but not for slow connections.
    Another issue is they don't support Opera with their button and that irritates me to no end. They are dealing with people that are supposedly security conscious, so why do they assume everyone is going to use Intercourse Exploder?
    Still, I would be interested if it worked with Opera and was fast.
    Don't be such a stranger. Like you said, there are a lot of good people here.

4. luv2bsecure

I don't know why, must be a cookie problem or a problem with my configuration of proxomitron on my end, but it won't let me stay logged in after I go into a thread. Anyway...

Hi Checkout and root! Hope this finds you both in good health and doing well.

I had a couple of questions for Lance before I did this and the speed issue is one of them. root, That's interesting that you are finding the members Anonymizer slow. I don't like that. I will make that question #1 and I am getting ready to write as soon as I finish this.

I would THINK (dangerous thing to do!) that with the direct connection with their servers and the lack of having to bounce all over creation, that if THEIR servers are working as advertised there shouldn't be a problem. But, it's a good question because I wouldn't think there should be a problem with speed.

On this topic of anonymous surfing, if you want to blow your top, go to www.anonymise.com and look at the deception deluxe in trying to get people to use them. Privacy Pop-Ups galore, web traps, the whole fake javascript thing with "seeing" your hard drive (complete with sound effects) and they would expect someone to TRUST themo_O Ahh...separating the wheat from the chaffe.

See 'ya,
    John
    Luv2Bsecure

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Luv2bsecure! - of course this just went right over my head....LOL! But i just wanted to pop in and say Hello!...and hope you are well and tell you, we miss you!

snap

6. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello Luv2bSecure,

A good way for surfing, FTP, mail, news, Instant Messenger, etc is using proxysocks.

You can run nearly any application through Sockscap32 and it's free :)

Regards,

JacK

7. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

JacK, could you go into a little detail please? And a url would be good, too. Many thanks.

8. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello ;)

Informations and d/l :
    http://www.socks.nec.com/reference/sockscap.html

When you run an application through a proxysocks (on port 1080) and the easiest way is by using Sockscap all your requests are send through the proxysocks and your IP does NOT appears anywhere, only the IP of the proxysocks.

There are 2 proxysocks class : 4 only TCP and 5 TCP & UDP.

The biggest problem is to find available proxysocks (with proxyhunter or Angry IP Scanner (the proxies available on the lists are often down after a few hours or days).

Very usefull for instance if you run a personal SMTP server or an Instant Messenger : your personal IP is NEVER unveiled.

No tracking or test site can get your IP, even with java activated.

For instance if you go on : http://inet-police.com/ using a standard proxy (port 80, 8080, etc...) you will see the address of the proxy AND your own address. With a proxysocks ONLY the proxy address :)

You may find more explanations and settin on http://www.optimix.be.tf (French).

Best regards,

JacK

9. controler

controler Guest

Sounds like a good package Little John..

I read about this company a few months back. I know your main word was trust here but I wanted to mention just for reference, the very vist person I heard offering an anonoumous surfing(tunneling) expereince was the people not soo well liked here. ( lockdown ) Although the price was is high. I have been using JAP and it seems to do well but alais, no email client yet that I know of.

Little John? I don't think you deserved any negitive carma either. All your posts have been pretty much informative and professional :D

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you know the target, you can connect in TDS with the TCP connect via SOCKS as well. So you may have your tool already from reliable source.
    Is there much difference?

11. JacK

JacK Registered Member

A big one ;) For instance, for the moment I am surfing and posting on this BBS
    through a proxysocks, only the IP of this proxysocks and not mine can be find for this very post in the BBS logs :).
    In the log it's 4.*.*.* (Tampa Florida) and I am i Belgium 213.*.*.* totally untraceable :)

You may run nearly any app through a proxysocks with sockscap, that's no aim of TDS :)

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

So derstand the TDS connection via SOCKS is for RAW data while what you do is for normal page views?
    Do i understand from this description the proxysocks is the thing like normally a proxy is supposed to and the Sockcaps does add an extra layer?
    As i understand it now i see
    my system --> SOCKS --> target
    or is it now
    my sys --> proxy --> sockscap --> target?

Do i still reach the target anyhow, as now already i have so many problems reaching pages in general (could be IE 6.0 problem in several cases though)

13. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

Socks is a transparent protocol proxiing/tunneling ; according to the choosen proxysocks you are more or less slowed down, for instance with the proxysocks I am using for now, I d/l at 350 kbps, that's enough for surfing but without it my bandwith allows 850 kbps.

For IE, no need of sockscap32 (but you may use it without to have to configure IE in the Network advanced setting) .

As said before, SocksCap32 allows you to run any applications without to configure all your apps accessing the W3 one by one (often not easy or impossible) : you have just to launch your app through SocksCap32.

Very convenient for a newsreader, an SMTP server, Telnet, FTP on risky sites or whenever you need perfect anonymity.

AFAIK, proxysocks are the sole gratis way for a 999/1000 anonymity

Cheers,

JacK

14. luv2bsecure

Jack,

What a great post. You are so right, using a Socks Proxy is an excellent way to achieve a high level of anonymity. I'm not sure about 999/1000 as the problem with the socks proxy is the administrator still has logs. True, same is true for secure tunneling with Anonymizer, but I trust the administrator. Plus, for many people, the eight bucks a month to them and the simplicity of using F-secure and connecting immediately to the Anonimyzer server is worth it to not have to go proxy hunting and double check it's effectiveness, etc. But back to the admin logging. If, for example, he doesn't like where you have been going he/she may feel compelled to turn the logs over to whoever. But, the thing I like about the socks proxy is the lack of caching on their servers. They don't do what most are busy attempting to do. Also, when using proxies, make sure and do your research. I, for example, NEVER use a proxy that is located in Atlanta for instance - nothing in the USA or Canada. I use Sam Spade or another tool to determine where they are and the more unstable the country the better. Consider yourself lucky when you find an anonyproxy in some war torn country that speaks every language but English.

The whole topic of Socks would make a good thread of its own. Good stuff, Jack.

John
    Luv2BSecure

15. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi John ;)

You are right about the logs but as you know, usually when you find a proxysocks, it's due to a bad setting from the administrator, most of the time, he is not aware you are using it (maybe he is lazy, maybe no competence ;))

That's why it's better to find your own proxies and not from some list : to many people use them and the increase of traffic is to evident and the flaw is corrected
    rapidely.

I change very often, as you say the most "exotic" the best or also, sometime I use proxysocks from big societies, like PB, IBM, Minolta, etc... owning big network :)

I am a bit parano : I don't trust any administrator, not even myself :-D

Cheers,

16. luv2bsecure

LOL

Now, that I can relate to!!!! :oops:

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.