Is "WnCSMServer Module" safe to allow?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Seeks2Know, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeks2Know

Seeks2Know Registered Member

I am new to firewall usage and trying to learn my way around. I recently installed Zone Alarm and did not get this warning for the first few days of running it but lately I keep getting an Alert the "WnCSMServer Module" wants to access the Internet. If I say "no", I get a small dialogue box that pops up saying "Fatal Error". I haven't been able to find out what "WnCSMServer Module" is and whether I should allow it or not. Can you help?

Thank you.

(BTW, my OS is WinME)

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Seeks2Know

Are you using AT&T Worldnet?
    If so, WnCSMServer, is likely associated with it and something you will probably need to allow for your connection to the Internet. Confirm this first before allowing it.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Seeks2Know

Seeks2Know Registered Member

Yes, I am using AT&T Worldnet.
    Thank you very much.

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Seeks2Know

Glad to help. With your Zone Alarm rule for WnCSMServer allow outbound only. Leave act as a server set to ask. If it should prompt wanting to allow inbound (server rights) post back and let us know what kind of connection it is before allowing.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. cbrdave

cbrdave Registered Member

It appears to be the ATT server hook-up coming from your computer. Look in C:\Program Files\AT&T\WnClient\Programs.
    The odd part is that my firewall (zone alarm) is detecting it today 4/14/05 yet before it did not. Also, my firewall shows 4 different IP address/sites yet before today it always seemed to be the same address each time.
    AT&T Connection Service IP Address 12.73.68.24/255.255.255.255
    12.73.69.121/255.255.255.255
    12.73.70.151/255.255.255.255
    12.73.70.180/255.255.255.255
    Maybe this is somehow related to the ATT buyout by SBC (Southwestern Bell Communications)Expanded network capacityo_O
    I called the ATT network services about this and the "wonder boys" from Packistan were clueless about the error messege you get by denying acess thru my firewall. It shows up on ATT error log as Unable to process message file-
    CWNMessageManager::processFile[]
    They said it was not theirso_O!!!
    Here is number: 1-800-400-1447 good luck
    ..."hello, my name is Neil..." right. You sure it isn't Abdulo_O ha, ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.