U.S. senator demands suspension of phone-tracking system

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting. Thanks Ron!

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks for the post!

One of the Malls (Temecula, California) is near where I live. Our local paper carried this story today:

RETAIL: Promenade Temecula halts consumer tracking test
    http://www.pe.com/business/business...ade-temecula-halts-consumer-tracking-test.ece
    ----
    rich

4. Dude111

Dude111 Registered Member

Good i hope it continues!!!

This privacy invasive crap needs to be stopped!!

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I agree. The fact that they even considered it shows they don't value their customers.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

A logical conclusion from your (and others') point of view, but not logical from a company's point of view! They "value" their customers as consumers, and the more they can know about their purchasing habits, the better they can tailor their marketing.

I'm not saying that it's good or bad, it's just the way it is!

But, think of how much people are already tracked:

• Your ISP knows all of your surfing, unless you have sophisticated programs installed
    • Web sites have ways of tracking who goes where on their sites; this is impersonal data, but still a type of tracking, similar to what the Malls want to do.
    • Your phone company knows your calls and texting - look on your cell phone bill
    • If you have a "super savings" card at a supermarket, it knows your purchasing habits
    • Amazon.com and other online sites know your purchasing habits (unless you've arranged otherwise)
    • If you have a local library card, the library knows your reading habits
    • GPS devices for tracking vehicles have been used w/o search warrants, in some cases
    • Other tracking devices already exist for vehicles, making a record of the driver's driving habits
    • I wouldn't even want to speculate on what the NSA, IRS, FBI know about my daily life.
    So, tracking in the Mall is just another intrusion into our lives. It seems more pernicious because of the potential to correlate personal data with a unique ID number, but in principle, it's really just an extension of the evolution of this type of activity.

Companies will continue to push to the limit to intrude and track. Court cases temporarily set back the boundaries, but they continue to be pushed forward toward an Orwellian abyss.

----
    rich

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

All that is true but that doesn't mean it is right.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.