I am going back to Nod32 V4, ENOUGH of NOD 5.0.94.0!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Albsterama, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albsterama

Albsterama Registered Member

I have been using ESET Nod32 since 2006 and going from V4 to V5 is the worst transition in versions!

Why?

I have a quad core, Win 7 with SP1 and I am showing extremely slowness with the ekrn.exe taking up and literally freezing my laptop when I jump tab to tab on Firefox, or jump between an open session of Chrome and Firefox. Or jump from Chrome/Firefox to Thunderbird.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/ekrn.jpg/

I noticed my HDD light going berzerk for anywhere between 15s to 1 min and the Resource Monitor will show ekrn.exe at the top of the CPU cycle.

Switching back to V4, I show NONE of the slowness so I am not sure whats going on here with V5.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling HIPS or web protection make a difference? If the former, it's very likely that some application in your system invokes continual recompilation of HIPS rules. It's always necessary to narrow it down to the particular module / option in order to guess what might be causing the issue.

3. Albsterama

I did disable HIPs, that was my 1st action and it made no difference.

I also found an option to set "active" scanning (sorry if I don't say this right as I no longer have V5) for all the browsers programs and Thunderbird and it improved it somewhat but the issue was still there...still lag going from one application to another. However, the whole application would be "grayed" out until ekrn.exe was done and off the high CPU cycle.

The straw which broke the back was my V4 license could not be used to activate the V5 at 1:35AM last night after I tried to do a fresh install of V5 after a total removal. As such, I was really pushed to go back to V4 or go use Microsoft Security Essential. V5 would not activate and I could not download the virus signature file. Argh.

I have been using V4 all morning and I am back in luv with the speed of my laptop and Nod32.

4. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Registered Member

Glad I read this thread as I was thinking it may be time to move to 5. I see that it is not.

Cheers,

VP

5. Albsterama

At this time, I am not happy with the 5.94 version. It's been a few days now since my back step to V4 and I am so happy to have a fast laptop again!

Another quick that I noticed was that at the 5.94 times, PerfectSpeed, Thunderbird or Firefox, would not maximize. I would click on the minimized icon state and the window would never open up. Weird!

I never knew why, it happens at more than random and I thought that somehow Win7 64 was broken but now that I am back on V4, I have NO SUCH issues with Firefox or Thunderbird and I have not shut my laptop down since the build to V4.

I recognize that at some point I need to go to V5 but not till I hear better things about V5.

6. Scotto

Scotto Registered Member

I prefer V4 too.
    I think it works better, is lighter and looks better.
    Have rolled back the 10 windows 7 quad cores at work plus my old xp single core at home.

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you tried excluding the software from Raxco (PerfectSpeed)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. Albsterama

No, I did not because I rarely use the program (once every 2 weeks) and the kicker is that it would not open fresh! The exe would be there in memory but its as if the interface screen could not be drawn, or something holding the program from running fully. HIPS was turned off by this time as well.

However, I did exclude Thunderbird which has similar "oddity" and it still continues to display it. In the end, I just killed the exe and then clicked to bring back Thunderbird.

I just tried PerfectSpeed with V4 and it's fine and dandy, popped right up. Thunderbird is also happy in the V4.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what was the issue with the lic? i have many v4 lic's and i really hope i dont run into this. more curious than anything right now. thanks

10. zfactor

MANY of us are also running v5 without any issues at all me included (well there is one where the eset window at times expands and i have to click reset window but thats a trivial issue nothing other than that)

11. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

12. Marcos

In your case it was firewall that was causing the slowdown. As I wrote, it could be because the firewall was blocking some communication that I suspected to be due to frequent attacks occurring in your network. Unfortunately, you didn't want to troubleshoot the issue further so we cannot tell what was going on. If somebody's having performance issues after installing v5, we'll be happy to assist you in resolving it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  13. Sacles

Sacles Registered Member

Hello,

Perhaps P2P.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I don't have any problems using the latest version of NOD32 v5. Surfing speed was still the same, though I didn't tried ESS coz of the possibilities in firewall problem that may occur..so I am just using the anti-virus version.

I guess the latest version has some improvements in protecting the system.

My OS was still Windows XP Pro SP3 and using Firefox 8 browser. :cool:

15. Meethree

Meethree Registered Member

Well I signed up just to say "me too." I prefer interactive mode and its been the pits since I upgraded. It seems like it takes forever to pop up some (most?) times.

I also had problems with Gamer Mode not popping up the interactive alerts I needed to run the very game I was trying to run because the full screen enabling of the mode was default. SWTOR beta was hanging completely while full-screened because it won't proceed far if it can't contact the net. Now I have that feature off completely. Application modification detection also wasn't popping up for some reason for that game so I had to exempt it.

I'm also wondering if the web protection can bog something down if you have a lot of tabs open in the browser. I frequently get up to 100 in Chrome (I HAVE A PROBLEM, OKAY :p ). But, I didn't have any delays with v4.

So here again I come, my sweet prince!

16. Vocalpoint

Well - looks like "many" in this single thread are bailing on 5 and rolling back to 4. That is not a good sign - anyway that you want to paint it. And that doesn't include who knows how many folks that will never post here.

If v5 was ready for prime time - I think we would all know it and people would be exciting to move to it. Sounds like eSET themselves have no idea either since they seem to be poking around in the dark asking questions about random things where none of these seem to bother v4 at all.

All I know is - as soon as someone says "slowdown"...I'm gone. To be honest haven't had a false positive or even the slightest hint of any virus on any of my machines for years - I often wondering why I even bother with this software.

Will keep watching the developements here...but for now - v4 seems to be just fine.

VP

17. Marcos

What would you suggest then? Should the firewall get disabled automatically while running full-screen applications and it's in interactive mode?

18. Marcos

In our opinion it was quite different. The release of v5 was the smoothest one, much less issues reported than after the release of v3 or v4.

19. Vocalpoint

Marcos - that your opinion or "perception" of the release of 5 as being smooth - means nothing and does nothing to placate those who have had so much trouble that they had to remove the software and roll back. It certainly means nothing to me. All I see is folks "rolling" back and that alone is causing for concern.

It's obvious (and unfortunate) that v5 represents an un-trustworthy scenario for me since I am now very hesitant to have to sit here and do my own tech support and testing when this app starts messing up machines.

VP

20. zfactor

i dont want to argue with anyone but i can say i have over 40-50 customers using eset essv5 and i dont have any issues with any of them. we also work with other av's that i like to recc and so far ess is one of the lowest issue wise i have of late had FAR more calls and issues with nortons which for the longest time was very rare to have. all my point is that there are many people using it without issues. i do see there are some here with issues and i do agree they should be addressed but i dont think that is the majority

21. Vocalpoint

So you are saying "dive right in" but - if something should happen (since I am not in the majority) I should prepare to struggle and fight with a now compromised machine. As well as knowing that ESET could very well take days to actually help me - I should be prepared to tackle my issue by myself all the while simply wasting my time?

Or is it just smart business to stay put with a known good v4 and wait until such time that there can be more assurance that the v5 actually works?

I think I know what camp I am in.

VP

22. zfactor

please note i do not mean to offend you in any way. on that note i think my point is ALL av's have issues show me one that is perfect and does not have one single issue or complaint, whether its eset, norton, avast, kaspersky etc check their forums imo eset is one of the ones with the fewest complaints. and while yes a few people have a issue it should be looked at but its def not the majority with v5 or i would be getting calls left and right. i would rather myself have the most updated form of protection but if you are happy with v4 then stay with it. no big deal. with every new release from every av on the market i see complaints and issues no matter the brand. just like people had and still have issues with v4 eset sometimes also. this thread probable will not go anywhere imo.

23. ljg

ljg Registered Member

Personally, I want my business to be better than the rest, not the same.

Does ESET not strive for a similar position?

24. Vocalpoint

I know you are not intending to offend and no offense taken. But v4 of ESET NOD 32 seems to be about as "perfect" as it's going to get for me. As in ZERO issues. I install it, I update and it just runs for months on end with no hint or indication of a slowdown, glitch or anything else. Reliable and quiet - sitting in the background NOT interfering with anything

If/when ESET can say the same about v5 - I am ready to join the party. But if obvious paying customers (and hopefully long time supporters) are clearly saying they are rolling back and instantly seeing positive results (like there computer is back to normal) - all that says to me is:

1. I do not want to be a beta tester
    2. Get this crap back on the bench and get it running properly (like v4 does) - before releasing it to the masses.

And echoing ljg - doesn't ESET want to be better? Or do they fancy themselves as being "good enough" (like some other second rate vendors I know) by releasing v5 in it's present state - just to meet some corporate bottom line?

Finally - considering that v4 is so good, mature and so solid - who actually benefits from v5 anyway? Did the online world suddenly get that much nastier in the last 6 months that v5 is a necessity over v4?

VP

25. Marcos

That's because v4 has been out for about 3 years during which all bugs and issues have been fixed. At the beginning all new versions have more issues than at the end of their development cycle. Comparing the first versions 3, 4 and 5, the latest one had least issues (also thanks to the most intensive beta testing) and therefore we consider it the smoothest release. This statement is based on real experience gained throughout the years. Of course, we plan to release further v5 builds addressing issues that have been reported by users so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.