how to install google chrome as browser-only?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by imdb, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi all
    i wonder if anyone could tell me how to install google chrome without all the junks such as google updater, et al.
    i want nothing but the browser alone installed. so how do i do it?
    thanks

2. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi tree
    thanks for your fast reply.
    i'd like to ask a few things, if you don't mind.
    now this "iron" thing sounds cool. and compared to google chrome, it seems it's a lot better. but:
    is it really trustworthy and safe enough? how many people as a percentage, compared to other browser, do you think are using it?
    is it compatible with majority of the operating systems out there?
    and other points i forgot to mention but you might kindly consider and answer.
    thanks again

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If you don't want google updater, then you probably don't mind fetching the updates manually...

You could download the offline installer and extract its contents with Univeral Extractor. You should be able to retrieve a file named chrome.7z. Inside this file, are the program files. Extract it to a folder, and then use it as you wish.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been using SRWare Iron more or less since it was released. It is the best Chromium fork that isn't actually Google Chrome in my opinion. You can use all the Google extensions/themes on it, & unlike Chrome you can completely uninstall it from your computer. Furthermore it has its own internal adblocker file which you can add from Fanboy's List.

In many ways I actually prefer it to Chrome, even though there is very little actual difference. It can suffer from small bugs occasionally. Build 15.0.900.0 is coming soon I believe.

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Go to about:plugins and disable the updater plugin and then you can just delete the updater .exe

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you, guys. i think i'll go m00n's way.
    again, thanks all.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

good point HAN and that is what i'm doing atm.

but i'm going to try m00nbl00d's suggestion.
    i'd rather waste Google bandwidth than PortableApps. :)

10. m00nbl00d

By the way, those running Sandboxie, can simply install inside Sandboxie, and fetch either the chrome.7z file from Temp folder or the folder from Program Files.

:D

11. moontan

12. m00nbl00d

I'll download it and check. From time to time Google changes the encryption method. Long time ago, Google didn't even encrypt it, at all.

And, answering your question, yes, either one of the files in the link you provide are offline installers.

13. moontan

the thing i got was about 24 megs, which is far smaller than the 85 megs from PortableApps.

i tried the installer just to see but it installed the whole thing wherever it wanted and downloaded an additional 200 megs of stuff. lol

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Do you mean just delete GoogleUpdate.exe?
    When I do that (actually not deleting it, just renaming it), I am unable to update Chrome manually via the About Google Chrome.
    I get a "Update server not available (error:3)" message.
    Soon as I put GoogleUpdate.exe back, updating works.
    This is after following your instructions to also disable updater plugin.
    And it is all done outside of SBIE.

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Well

than ignore what I said earlier =p

16. m00nbl00d

OK.

Inside the installer, there's an extensionless file named 102~, which Univeral Extractor cannot extract.

I remember I could do it quite some time ago, using Univeral Extractor. It can't do it, anymore. The only other alternative I'm familiar with, is to use Sandboxie and install Google Chrome, and then, before the installation finishes, fetch the chrome.7z file from the user Temp folder.

I'll see if I'll find an alterative way, though. :argh:

-edit-

You could try the msi installer... http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?msi=true

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  17. moontan

tnx m00nbl00d! :)
    i'll give the Sandboxie thing a try.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The part about "Go to about:plugins and disable the updater plugin" was very helpful.
    I'd forgotten that. :)

19. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have recently switched to Comodo's Dragon Chromium based browser. It "resembles Chrome", but isn't Chrome. No on-board PDF reader, no on-board Flash (have to install non-IE flash like for Firefox), no Google updater. Also, all of the questionable privacy concerns (real or not) that Chrome has, are all removed in Dragon.........No phoning to the Google mother ship. Dragon also has some extra security features as well. Plus it has a really cool icon! It seems to be a tad faster than Chrome, and comparing the about:memory tab, Dragon uses about 20,000k less RAM too. All Chrome extensions/themes from Chrome's Web Store work on Dragon. I am currently using a black theme and AdBlock. Also, the spell-check function is built in like Chrome.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

20. moontan

i would think that having the PDF reader and Flash built-in and sandboxed by Chrome is a big plus, security-wise.

as for the spell checker, if it's the same one that's in Chrome, i would not brag about it if i were you. ;)

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

so the uni-extractor way won't work then, eh?
    well then i think i'll go portable way. i'll give chrome & ff portable a try.
    thanks everyone.

22. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Download the installer
    -http://dl.google.com/chrome/install/874.106/chrome_installer.exe
    and use Winrar twice to extract the files

23. m00nbl00d

That was probably the installer version I used to get from Google. I remember that name. The one from the link I downloaded it, is named ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe.

I actually remember I had to hunt down the exact version number to place in the link you provided.

Do you know of a more direct way to fetch the installer from the link you provided, for future reference?

By the way, I wonder why Google encrypts the installers from the link I got them from, but not the one from the link you provide?

I really can't waste more of my small and precious traffic, but I believe the MSI installer also allows to extract the contents. I may be wrong, though.

24. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

You mean directly from Google,right? I searched for it a little bit but couldn't find it. But why bother? It's on all major download sites. Or you can save the url and replace the current number (874.106) with the future one you will want to download :p

25. moontan

that download version is only 24 megs or so.

even if someone RAR it twice, there's still stuff missing, right?
    a full Chrome install results in a folder between 185 megs and 225 megs after the installation is complete.
    the version from PortableApps is about 85 megs.

how can you get Chrome from a 24 megs download?
    it's just a bootstrap.

or is there something i'm missing here?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.