System Mechanic Free

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ichito, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I don't remember any free version of System Mechanic...in the past it was a great app in my old Win98...but today I found on Majorgeeks such version - System Mechanic Free 1.0.0.8
    For now have not ruin anything, it works quite nice :) To activate all functions it's necesary to register it on-line. Info and features by Majorgeeks:
    Info and download http://www.majorgeeks.com/System_Mechanic_Free_d7199.html

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I remember ~5yrs ago people on forums I view were touting how wonderful SM was. Within a month all their OSs got borked by SM. T'was a terrible & dangerous software.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 :thumb:

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I used to love System mechanic untill it started snacking on important system files but that was such a long time ago.maybe its safer know then it was dont know.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The free version crash during install leaving with an incomplete install, and I need to reboot before I can try installing it again. However I have tried the latest full version recently. It is altogether a decent program, however the registry cleaner does give some minor false positives.

Where I have a huge issue with System Mechanic is that highly dubious claims about what it can do and how well it works are made by the publisher. For example they make the claim "Make your PC run like new again." The reality is that it won't - they even have a whitepaper on their website which says just the same.

It is claimed that the full paid version "Diagnoses & fixes over 20,000 different PC problems" I would like to know exactly what problems System Mechanic will fix, it would be nice if Iolo would explain this. I really don't believe that System Mechanic will fix much at all, this seems just to be a desperate attempt to sell their product.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

+2 :thumb: :thumb:

7. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Registered Member

= + 3 :thumb: :thumb:
    System Mechanic even the pro version free no thank u .

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I've used it for a few years (the paid version) and never had any issues with. It works well, including the registry cleaner. Like Norton, it started out as a good product, then had issues, and came back strong (i.e., it still works well and wouldn't let issues from 5 years ago stop you from using it).

Here's a review at pcmag (this review is for version 10 not 10.5, the current version).

How much it will do for your system depends. I'd make sure you have it make a back up when running its' registry cleaner (or any registry cleaner).

9. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Been using since I decided to replace the equivalent Norton product that when downhill a few years back (similar to what InfinityAZ advised in his post).

Never had a problem with it/has never failed...so I would recommend it.

As far as I can see the FREE version is much cut down when compared with System Mechanic (and even more so when compared with System Mechanic Pro).

Differences highlighted on this page:

http://www.iolo.com/promo/cmount/index.htm

and then take the "Compare versions" link.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I installed System Mechanic with Antivirus not long ago for a customer who was tempted by a sale (in other words I did not and don't recommend it). There were updates available after the installation which is normal enough, however to my amazement it was necessary to disable the antivirus shield to install the updates. That says something about how poorly conceived this software is, and is reason enough to not use it IMHO.

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Personally would not use the Pro version because it includes security features such as anti virus & firewall (...and that is the same reason I would never use Norton 360/Kaspersky Pure) but the plain System Mechanic is IMHO a great product.

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Does it try to install its Antivirus and Firewall tool along with it or no? Anyone want to post some screenshots?

13. Dark Shadow

Warning Webroot SecureAnywhere detects medium risk malware on the first Majorgeeks mirror,Fp maybe but no detection on other alternative downloads so just in case.

14. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Can someone please describe the worth of programs like System Mechanic. As I just don't see their value. But maybe I am missing the point.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Maybe that has since been corrected as I don't get any detections at default settings. Rising AV is currently the only product to mark the file as suspicious at VT.

16. Dark Shadow

I just tried installation before posting so not sure.Thats probably it my settings are al medium. Not something I want anyways but just wanted to play with it a bit like a new toy.I will pass on it now.Thanks djohn

17. Dark Shadow

IMO your not missing anything and its nothings we cant do manually.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Here is a report from Anubis-
    http://anubis.iseclab.org/?action=result&task_id=1c2c56e49449dac34e5792bd566ec9fc8&format=html

And ThreatExpert-
    http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=b54c49047c65c768a430d41b54878a9f

I'm waiting for a report from NSI http://www.netscty.com/malware-tool

BTW- Is CWsandbox no longer free? http://www.gfi.com/malware-analysis-tool

EDIT- here is the NSI report. The link is a direct download for a pdf (no other options were available)-
    http://www.netscty.com/report/677/ead62f9c-048d-442f-b566-a2f78b4e6cc4-334

19. Dark Shadow

:argh: Just maybe WSA have saved my bacon after all being outside sandboxie.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I should point out I didn't execute the installer; I just did a right-click scan on the file. Not the best method in Prevx/WSA's case as its strength is in detection upon execution, although right-click scanning has been improved in WSA.

Incidentally, I scanned the installer with MalwareBytes since its a tool referenced by NSI in their report. No detection found at this time.

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Iolo is been around for a while, they have had their own security product it's not malware. I even was able to find the direct download link from Iolo's servers.

According to a VT only Rising was detected it and that was via its heru engine and only these few reports of WSA which is most likely because it's new in the community.

I don't have a VM to test it out on so I am waiting till someone else can give it a chance. This seems to be their 10x series version and looking at reviews it does not seem that bad according to a NeoWin review. They only ran into one minor issue when it erased .docx file format settings from the registry and that reregistered itself next time word opened. If it does not have any AV engine installed it seems like they could make a come back. They have 85 percent of the tuneup market according the latest stats I can find and most of the issues of destroyed OSes come from about 5 years ago.

22. Dark Shadow

What about arc1965 post report,are they wrong what they analyzed. Maybe SM is not malware but dont mean the links provides are not compromised.

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

No way. I'd never believe SM has 85% of the tuneup market.

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Nothing looks wrong with any of the online reports in my opinion. Looking at the anubis report:

The executable modifies and destructs files which are not temporary. - Its an installer so that's pretty normal for an online installer. It just deleted its temp file.

This executable registers processes to be executed at system start. This could result in unwanted actions to be performed automatically. - It runs in the background for tuneup and updates so normal.

Changes security settings of Internet Explorer: This system alteration could seriously affect safety surfing the World Wide Web. -Not 100% sure on what it's doing here but according to the report it looks like it's just looking at the proxy settings and making sure nothing it blocking it?

Creates files in the Windows system directory: Malware often keeps copies of itself in the Windows directory to stay undetected by users. - Its a deep tuneup tool so thats normal

Modify system files: This executable modifies files in the windows system directories. - As I said above its normal. Its most likely modifying the ones it created

Performs Registry Activities: The executable creates and/or modifies registry entries. - Once again normal in my opinion.

25. Dark Shadow

Ok its probably me reading it wrong but I will stay far away anyways.Thanks djohn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.