Mac Address Changers, not so Mac anonymous!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Warlockz, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I see many posts that say, Change your Mac Address, and this will hide the Machines Identity? like at WIFI Spots ect...

Well , My Router lists the Computer Name along with the Mac address assigned to any machine that connects to it, so you can change your mac all day long but it will be null if you have a Unique Computer name that is always the same.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Just remember to change your Computer Name at the same time when you change (spoof) your network adapter's MAC address.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Use a VM.

4. x942

x942 Guest

use a live CD like TAILS or Ubuntu and fake the Mac addy from there :) You even get the added benefit that nothing is saved to disk

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Use a LiveCD.iso running in a VM :D

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

When a mac address changer is used, the NIC's (Network Interface Card) permanent mac address is retained in firmware while the new mac address identity is sent in packets over the Internet for the remainder of the session.

-- Tom

7. JimmySausage

JimmySausage Registered Member

Won't using a LiveCD boot in VMWare sent out over the internet/air your actual Mac address?

8. x942

x942 Guest

No you can use an external WiFi card in this case. This is why I said a live disk is better. You can use the internal one then and no evidence is left behind as it was all in RAM.

9. lotuseclat79

If you change your mac address (before enabling your Internet connection or disable your network before browsing or before you turn on your router after booting your computer), then only your spoofed mac address will be transmitted in packets after you re-enable your network connection.

-- Tom

10. JimmySausage

JimmySausage Registered Member

So just to get this straight:
    Boot up a virtual machine to an Ubuntu live cd > make sure you are using a usb wireless dongle -NOT your internal card > use a free wifi spot, and your anonymous?

11. x942

x942 Guest

Yes. Assuming you don't leak personal data like email address etc. while online. Depending on what you are doing you could add TOR. But as this stands even if they track it back to the open AP it won't match your laptop so they won't have any evidence.

12. caspian

caspian Registered Member

What is the best free MAC address changer?

13. VectorPrime

VectorPrime Registered Member

14. x942

x942 Guest

On linux: Macchanger (get it in your repo's) :D

15. caspian

16. caspian

I don't know how to use linux yet, but thanks.

17. Izzle

Izzle Registered Member

Great thread.

What affect does using a different disc image, like one created in Acronis, have on your computer and leaving a trail of evidence?

For example, say I use the technitium mac changer and change the mac address, change the computer user name and then I create a “disposable” disc image.

So then I have a project or task to complete. Before doing it, I switch disc images to my new disposable image. I change the mac address again, run a straight connection, no router, and then use Tor. Upon completion of the task, load my regular operating image and delete or discard the “disposable” image.

How safe would that be?
    Would a forensic examiner be able to find traces of the “disposable” image on my computer?
    Assuming the mac address was properly spoofed, wouldn’t that work? (and yes, I know that using a free wifi hotspot would be the safest approach).

18. caspian

So a public wifi can see your computer name, but is your computer name visible on the internet while connected to your own router at home?

19. lotuseclat79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.