Acroni true Image 7 Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fatboy73, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatboy73

fatboy73 Registered Member

I have installed true image 7, with security zone.
    i made an image of my hdd.

When i try to boot with startup recovery manager or with the bootable cd, the system reboot after display: Acronis True Image Loading, Please Wait.

What can do?

Thaks

I have windows xp sp1

:( :( :( :(

2. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Same thing happened to me w/win2k. Acronis gave me a site to dl a "special" iso file to burn to cd. It works, even after three new builds. Contact support for that site. :)

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fatboy73 --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

Please ensure that you have the latest build of the product - it is available here - http://www.acronis.com/files/trueimage7.0_s_en.exe

If you have the latest build already, please can you please boot from the Acronis True Image 7.0 build 611 rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." messages appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add "acpi=off noapic" phrase to the line and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down all the messages or use a digital camera to capture them and send this information to us.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

4. mozarella

mozarella Registered Member

the same problem by me with acronis true image 6 build 350.

The version is registrated, write 4 mails the last 7 days to german support team and not one reply comes to me. :-(

Is this supporto_O

" ... Do not forget to register your software! We guarantee 48 hours response only for registered users."

Much topics in german boards with problems acronis support ...
    http://forum.digitalfernsehen.de/forum/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=54;t=000203

@fatboy
    nforce2 chipset? the problem is by me only asus a7n8x r2.0 deluxe with nforce2 chipset. On asus p4c800-deluxe with i875p chipset no problem with
    version6 build 350 or version 7 ...

5. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

6. mozarella

mozarella Registered Member

I don´t know its doing with True Image 7, but with with True Image 6 is the same problem. No chance :-(

7. Limerick

Limerick Registered Member

Same thing happened to me, but it worked after 2 or 3 tries o_O

8. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

I have the same problem using floppydisks

bibbe[/QUOTE]

I have now tried for hours to get TI to work, its not only when using floppydisk I have a problem.It is impossible to get TI to work, all you get is "loading, please wait". So now I cant do a restore. Not good! I am running windows XP home, swedish version and I do have a license for both 6 and 7 right now running version 7 build 611. Please acronis do something.

bibbe

9. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

After a reformat, I also now have the same problem {v7} and the suggestion by Acronis Support posted above doesn't work for me. TI7 did restore an image before I reformatted. Strange

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Is it possible to restore and image when actually in XP from TI. There is a part which says - Restore Image - does this proceed to format etc for me or do I have to format and then use the bootable CD made with TI? o_O

Is it possible just to select some files and folders to restore and not the full image? I have backups but after reading this post I need to know how I would use them o_O

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Robyn

Yes to all questions with a BUT.

Ti will delete the Parttion for you and replace it sector be sector. BUT it is best to wipe then reformat as deleting and reformating leave dros behind.

I use Acronis Driver Cleaner

You can restore an Image in Widows BUT, not an Image of the OS.

You can restore an Image in Widows of a Partition BUT, not of an Image of the the Partition you are restoring from.

You can restore files and folders in Widows BUT, To do so you need use the Explore Image in Ti, and Ti will then mount the image for you then you will see the Image as another HDD if you double click My Computer.

Then double click the mounted Image to explore it and replace files of folders to anywhere of your choice.

Some files or folders might have to be restored in safe mode if thy are in use when you replace them.

It is best Practice to store your Images on another HDD.

Hope this is of some help.
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  12. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you for the full explanation which I will copy when I am using my PC later. I have stored my backups on an external HD which I have partitioned in a similar way to my PC. I made a back up of 'C' at the beginning of may although I have made changes since then I 'may' have to restore this backup and make the changes all over again :rolleyes: As this is 'C' would this mean I could still restore on a clean partition i.e. from my external drive to my PC the image file which I have back to my 'C' drive?

I have mounted my images as I created them just to check so I will look and see if I could replace the folder in question but I feel this may not be possible as it as Temp.Internet folder which I need to replace :( I will have to re-read all of this and see what I would be best to do just because of some dummy files in my TIF which I cannot delete! They are not causing problems but I would just prefer they were gone as I think they were created when I used Tracks Eraser with my browser open :'(

TI is so nice to use to backup but it the actual restore I will have to make sure I know about now. Many thanks for the tips and advice, up to me to put them into action now! I thought I could just begin to restore my image within XP but as you say it would be cleaner on a formatted drive even if just for this one folder. I will have to make sure I know what I am doing otherwise it will be re-install xp :eek:

13. TheQuest

Hi, Robyn

If 'C' is your OS you will have to use the Ti BootDisk to do the restore of a full Image, but not just fies and foders.

I am not familer with Tracks Eraser.

I do not understand why you CAN NOT delete the TIF FILES, also why you would whant to restore them?

The folder TIF FOLDER is a part of Windows and should not deleted. But the FILES can be.

If you can not do so YOU should Visit Wilders Browser Hijacks and Spyware Problems Forum\Adware, spyware & hijack cleaning.

Have a read of HOW TO By LowWaterMark here is a Link to the Forum:-

Adware, spyware & hijack cleaning

I am not saying should Reformat to replace a file or folder.

You do not have to Refomat to replace a an Image Ti will do it all for you. [But not a full WIPE]

I never do a Reformat, I WIPE [Overwritten with Zero's] my PARTITION's or HDD's.

Please fell free to ask as much as you like, call back a tell how get on.

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hello again, I have already ran HijackThis / TDS / Ad-aware / Spybot /AVG and they do not even see these files - they are cookie cache with a little icon just like windows files - they really did only appear after I use TE so I think I may have used it when my browser was running and these are unmovable in when I click to check files and look at my cookies I have the little icons but cannot delete o_O I do not have anything unknown in my HJT scan or any others. It was immediately after cleaning with TE they appeared! I am not usre if they are deleted webpages which could not be fully removed as I hadn't closed my browser :oops:

Thanks for the advice on boot disc if I have to resort to this. I will keep that image separate to fall back on if the files do cause errors but so far nothing has happened and nothing has been found with my scans or logs o_O

Thanks for allowing me to ask more as I am sure I will have more questions especailly if I decide to restore this image but not tonight as I am ready to shut down, at least I know you know exactly how to restore as I really have never done this before :'( Thanks again.

15. TheQuest

Hi, Robyn

This is Probably the wrong place to post and discuss this as it off topic and IS THE ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE FOURM.

Just did a search on Tracks Eraser and I see it as a Secure file shredder.

You could always Boot to Safe Mode try to remove them with Tracks Eraser, As thy might be in use in some way in Windows.

I would chose a setting of about 7 wipes if that is posable, ie:-
    NAVSO PUB[RLL]P-5239,[3 Passes]
    NAVSO PUB[MFM]P-5239,[3 Passes]
    DOD 5220.22-M.[7 Passes]
    Brouce Schneier Algorithm [7 Passes]
    Peter Gutmann [35 Passes]
    etc.

PS.
    If you need to talk more about this post in General Topics Forum.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hello again sorry to ask yet more but if I am brave enough to place my Image back to C (I do need to find the courage :oops: ) do I download the Disc Cleaner from Acronis and use this first? If so how do I proceed from there (please)

If I was going to restore the image with the tools I have now - my external HD image and Acronis - given that I will be imaging C back to its partition. Do I start in XP and then select Restore and TI will instruct me from there?

OR - do I boot from my TI boot discs with my external drive connected and TI will instruct me from there and clear the C partition I have there just now replacing it with my image? plus updating my AV etc

Yet another question - when the image is restored can I just continue from there by uninstalling the old programs I had and installing any new version I have upgraded since my last image?

I trust you will understand this is quite scary for me as I am afraid it will go part the way through and not complete or something and I would end up having to re-install everything :'(

17. TheQuest

Hi, Robyn

The choice is yours the Program is called:- Acronis DriveCleanser.
    Acrnois DriveCleanser

There are many progams to wipe HDD but ADC give you the choice of wipeing selected individually Partitions.

You do not say what make of HDD you have, most HDD manufactures have a free download on their site sites to a tool [Program] that will wipe [Low level format [overwritten with zero]] your HDD but they wipe all the drive.

So if I am wonting to wipe just a single Partition I use the Acronis DriveCleaner[ser] BootDisk, and it Speed IN wiping is Unsurpassed.

It the way I choose to install back an Image on a nice clean [No dros left]HDD or Partition.

My Quote from priviest [BUT] post.
    You can restore an Image in Widows BUT not an Image of the OS.

Yes that is what you do.

GIVE IT A TRIAL RUN AS YOUR NOT SURE.

TO make sure Ti See's the external HDD.

Shut down the Computer.

Connect the HDD with the Image on to the Computer.

Start the Computer at the boot screen [Press Detete] to get the BIOS Screen a check your Boot order it must be set to boot from CD [if you are useing CD BootDisk] or Flopp [If useing floppy BootDisk]. When set Save and Exit the BIOS.[F10] Do the next befor you Press F10.

Next Put the Boot Disk in it drive [CD or Floppy] Then Press F10

This is to make sure you do not miss the Boot from CD or Floppy. [Easley Done]

Then when Ti is Loaded you will see the restore icon press and do your Trial Run.

It will not Restore untill you give it the Proceed button.

Give it a few trys Untill you fill comfortable.

Yes when you have the Image retored it is as it was. the OS back to the state of that date.

A Normal OS.

I fully understand your fears but as long as you have an Image you will never have to reInsall your OS.

When yu have restored OS and done UN and IN stalling again and done all your updating make a New Image.

Hope this Helps.

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hi Quest

Many thanks for this and I will do as you say with a trial run until I feel comfortable with the whole procedure. I will also look at ADC as like yourself I would prefer to be 'dros' free. I really will have to gain confidence in all of this as there is little point in me haivng the backups and then not being able to use them :oops:

It may take me a while unitl I feel confident but at least I know the way to changing things in the BIOS which is a start! I know I will have abit of unstalling and updating to do after this but if I do get the confidence when all is back to the way it should be I will take an Image straight away.

Thank you for your patience and all the step by step help. Hopefully I will start a trial today and if I should see the path clear then maybe the restore will happen too :eek: I will have to search for confidence first!

19. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Back again, I followed all of your instructions for the BIOS etc and was really pleased to find my way to the point where I could recover my Image. Unfortunatley for some reason when Acronis loads it does not show me the image made with #611 when I am in the recovery section o_O it shows me my previous images from #597 but not the recent one. I came back into Windows and explored the Image via Acronis fom there and #611 is there - verified and mounted o_O Typically after doing this I would know what to do but now I can't find the image I need to use from the boot location :'(

I am going to try again now that I ahve confirmed it is on my HD and to see why Acronis will not show it to recover from the boot disc. At least I have got someway of knowing how to restore when I have to even if I end up re-installing the first thing I will do is use TI before any errors occur. Hopefully next time I will find the image I need and then be able to look at ADC.

Edit: back into BIOS thought it still wasn't there until I discovered the drive letters assigned are different to the ones when I am working within XP :oops: now to look at ADC. Would the tools for formatting in PM do the same thing? i.e. leave no dross

Questions (again) format by ADC or similar and then use Acronis boot disk to the stage I was at ealier but proceed to install my image and then boot back into XP? Sorry but I really need to make sure I know what I am doing :oops:

20. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robyn --

Please, try to check this image with Acronis in-built verification tool. Also, please create a new bootable CD (I assume you are using the 597-build one) and re-try to check if you can see the image. By the way - please ensure that the image is located where you are trying to find it, may be you've saved it to some different folder, thus it won't be together with the old images.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hello

I have a boot disc made with #611 and eventually found my #611 image it had another drive letter when my DVD drive were not listed!! (my fault)

I have just to work out if I can use PM to clear my C drive before reload the image I need to or if I would be best to purchase ADC to format before imaging my backup back onto C. o_O I think ADC would make the drive very clean for the fresh image and PM would maybe not clean any dros therefore potential for old errors.

If I did have to do a complete re-install at least I now know how to operate TI for a back up and then how to re-load the back up!

Thank you for your advice.

I can't believe it but after all this I have just checked and my stubborn icons have vanished! I still may need to use my backup and am very grateful for all the advice as I feel I would now be confident to use TI image and may have to soon.

22. TheQuest

Hi, Robyn

I belive PowerQuest Partition Magic only overwrites once, and I do not know what Algorithm they use.

I have ADC use the Brouce Schneier Algorithm [7 Passes].

Then one quick wipe [000]

Eight overwrites in all, that takes about Two and a half hours on 80GB HDD PATA 133, but as I said that is my way [fussy or over the top :rolleyes: ]

23. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Guess what? I am fussy too so would most likely need to use the secure wipe if I need to clean my HD for a restore :rolleyes: I have fixed a few problmes and feel at this stage I can make another backup as I would like to keep the 'fixes' I have applied over the last few days but I can assure you I will now consider ADC now that I can see daylight after the problems I have had.
    Thanks again for all the advice especially about the BIOS and using my boot discs plus the extra about cleaning my drive before a restore. I will have a nice image soon to be prepared for the next time something cause conflict or error with XP :rolleyes: I will be taking it easy for a while after this saga but understand more about TI than I did before :) a full image need before SP2 ;)

24. TheQuest

Hi, Robyn

Glad to hear you are feeling more confident.

Yes they [ACRONIS] have a good Arsenal of Tools for Hard Disk Drives.

I have all their products except OS Selector.
    which I do not need as I have Mobile Super Racks.

SP2 don't hold your breath. :)

I think you have quite a lot of time to make that Image. :D

Take Care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.