android tablet setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Bought a 99 dollar android 7inch tablet to view digital photos of camera while on holiday, read ebooks, view movie on usb stick when bored in bus or train and do some mailing and internet when hotel has wifi

Android 2.3.
    Lock protect settings, mail and wife' s facebook.
    Not rooted, no install from unsafe or apps market
    Using Dolphin mini in incognito mode no third party cookies, no forms, no password saviñg

What is your tabletsecurity?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Kees, load 'android assistant' on which gives you a good idea what is running in the background even when you close an app. I use it through the day to see if something is opening that shouldn't. Keep in mind some system apps have to run such as a clock or Google places. If you're not given the option to shut it down instantly it takes you to the settings of your phone to force close the app.

Has a history cleaner, startup manager as well but I haven't touched this feature. As rather than let an app control my startup, I'd rather opt for another app on the android market which does the same thing but doesn't have to start. But it is good to know what is launching at startup.

If your device is slowing down you can free up memory or set it to automatically free space up at a timed interval.

The app market is fantastic, just only install apps which have a good following and not install some unknown app with only a few downloads. Dolphin browser is good, same with Maxthon which is updated regularly and deletes history etc on exit. Always good to have a couple of browsers to ensure web pages load properly. One might just be used for your banking for example.

Google has done a good job of removing problem apps from the market but personally I don't think malware will affect apps looking for you to have trust in them to buy their paid version. Where an app is solid, I don't mind spending a dollar to buy the full version with no ads. For example, purchased 'sleep as an droid' as it is a popular alarm app and monitors how much deep or light sleep i'm getting.

Back to security, ES file explorer is excellent too. Just go into settings and make sure you check to show folder details so you know when a folder was created and when you can remove unwanted folders from your tablet. Always use ES to remove some left behind junk.

Dr Web's lite version is excellent by default for an on demand scan. I didn't enable the real time scanning as for now, android doesn't need it. People who should install the real time scanning may be those who download large and many games. That's the stuff that will get you.

And stick to reputable apps. Thinkfree office is fantastic for viewing pdfs. Has a page view and full screen text mode. You'll see the benefit by reading a pdf and trying it. Wish there was a PC version. Other apps which I use and are safe, non security related are 'relax and sleep' - simply awesome sleep program with high quality sounds to help you sleep, tape a talk - for recording notes, 2x battery - bought paid version as this worked on my battery, world newspapers - every newspaper you can ever read, and Zimly - excellent media player for music and video. Enjoy :)

And for ebooks, manybooks.net is a good place for text or epub files. All free.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

lot of good info. thanks

kees! is it glaxy with fryo?

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@ Sareceno thx

@ Aigle,

No a Yarvik TAB211 (1 Ghz, 256 MB Ram, 4GB onboard, gingerbread) with a 8GB microSD and a USB to SD-card and SD-card to Micro SD sleeve plus shipping it set me back a total of 123 Euro's. In Europe we pay a surcharge (here the Tab211 is cheapest at €92, while abroad is is availble for $ 95).

Personally I don't see much use of a tablet larger than 7". My lenevo laptop (with cashback only 340 Euro's runs at 2 Ghz dual core) is better equipped for computing and way faster.

For e-books and video the 7" 800x480 screen with two speakers is great. For browsing and e-mail the resistive screen functions well with the on-screen key board (especially with full screen option of Dolphin).

Call me old fashioned, but I use a
    - PC for working
    - Mobile phone for making telephone calls (awesome battery life of four days when you use your phone for calling).
    - 7" tablet for entertainment (e-books, movies, viewing photo's of my digital camera) and connectivity (e-mail and booking ahead hotels via web) while on travel. At home it is only used as e-book, tv guide and photo viewer (in the month I have it now).

5. Less

Less Registered Member

6. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I run rooted with permissions. As long as you dont use a new app with limited feedback your fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.