Software that has commit to real system?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by portage, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portage

portage Registered Member

I want a software like Shadow Defender but I can't seem to find any that have:

- Commit to real system

Can someone please suggest some? I tried Deep Freeze and Time Freeze but they lack commit.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Try Returnil Virtual System Pro 2011 or Returnil System Safe Pro/Free 2011 which has the same core Instant System Recovery components. We have our official support forums here at Wilders where you can find a great deal of information about the software, what feature sets the different versions have, and the large number of discussions that span a great deal of the development history of our products.

With kind regards
    Mike

3. portage

Thanks I will try out Returnil. Are there any others that have commit and a life-time license instead of a renewal license?

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Why you can't find? Panel "Commit now" is the place to do this.
    From SD help file

"The feature performs just like an exclusion file, but the action must be taken manually. There are 2 ways to commit files and folders to original volume permanently:

Commit from Shadow Defender Main Interface
    Switch to the "Commit Now" page, then

To save file to original volume:

Select Add File.
    Use the windows explore window to select the file you wish to save to original volume.
    The selected file will be displayed in the Commit List.
    Click the button "Apply".
    To save folder to original volume:

Select Add Folder.
    Use the windows explorer window to select the folder you wish to save to original volume.
    The selected folder will be displayed in the Commit List.
    Click the button "Apply".
    To delete a file or folder from the Commit List

highlight the file or folder and click the Delete button. The file or folder will be removed from the Commit List
    Commit from Context Menu
    The Commit from the context menu can be used at anytime to save a file or folder permanently to the volume. To use the feature right click on the file or folder to save changes to the disk and select Commit by Shadow Defender.

NOTE: If subsequent changes are made to the file, the Commit must be repeated to permanently save those changes"

5. portage

I guess I phrased it wrong but I'm not using Shadow Defender anymore because of the thread I read about the "new" version. I'm looking for a software that performs just as well as Shadow Defender.

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there's none.

you could use the old .325 version.
    it works fine.

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's not true. FileStream SafeShield is a third party branding of Returnil RVS lite, and functions the way portage wants. It is even a lifetime license.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

9. moontan

never heard of Filestream, but heard of Bufferzone.

i've never tried those.
    did those ever passed the TDL4 test that was here a couple of years ago?

someone correct me if i'm wrong but only Shadow Defender passed that test i think.

10. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Only one year ago: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=276210

So, indeed it's quite interesting if all the so called SD-alternatives are today able to protect. If I find time I can run some tests on weekend.

11. moontan

tnx m8!

i just could not find that thread this morning.
    need more caffeine. ;)

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

That is correct. However, Shadow Defender's development has been discontinued and probably can't stay on par with the modern malware released in the past year.

13. moontan

hmmm....

that would be a prudent assumption, and probably correct as well.

14. Coldmoon

Hi,
    That is actually not true. RVS/RSS passed the test with the Anti-Execute feature activated.

15. moontan

perhaps.

it still very commendable that Returnil would pass the test.
    but if the test passes because of an anti-executable module, it is not the rollback part doing the work, is it?

16. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Yes but that was not the point. The virtualisation/disc access redirection part of Returnil was not able - while SD was.

So you have some example? I not... while for similar products which are active developt there are. (see above)

17. moontan

anyway, it would be interesting to see how SD would fare today versus the malwares that have come up since a year ago.

if i was a betting man, i'd bet on SD. ;)

18. Coldmoon

Why let it get that far in the first place? Security is about the whole strategy, not whether one single part of that strategy can take care of all things malicious or potentially unwanted; especially if said malware has at its core a design that is intended to circumvent software virtualization which was pioneered in the Sony/Robodog family of hacker tools/malware.

There is no such thing as a silver bullet and any software solution can eventually be bypassed with enough time and resources. This is why we don't place all our eggs in one basket and neither should anyone else who might actually be serious about securing their system as efficiently as possible over the long haul.

19. moontan

i agree with you.
    seems like you have a good strategic outlook on security.

20. Coldmoon

Actually, SD's virtualization was and will continue to be just as vulnerable as any other light virtualization solution using similar techniques. This will become more evident as time passes without aggressive development and maintenance of the program's internal, silent, but targeted antimalware capability.

As I have said many times in the past and also here, there is no such thing as a silver bullet and SD is certainly no silver bullet to be sure...

21. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Are you constantly trying to improve Returnil Virtualization so it would be able to rollback TDL3/TDL4 malware?
    any updates on that matter?

22. roady

roady Registered Member

23. SLE

SLE Registered Member

It was not my point to make A vs B comparisions or to say Returnil is bad, neither i was talking 'bout silver bullets. And sure everything and every development needs time...
    But hey 1 year is passed since it was shown that some widespread malware was able to bypass virtualisation part of some products - and that we can IMO not discuss away with other parts of security approach. So I stay interested.;)

24. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

the ultimate commit software has to be an imaging tool, nothing and i mean nothing is going to bypass that :thumb:

with some programs you dont even need external media to restore an image, the system restarts and boots from a temp environment and then automatically removes the temp environment.

peace of mind > speed

25. moontan

and more speed if one keeps is data on another drive/partition.
    it takes me less than 4 minutes to restore an image.
    almost as good speed wise as a "boot to restore" solution. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.