Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 public beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fabian Wosar, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Hi everyone,

We want to invite you to join the public beta test of Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0.

What is new?

• New multi-core optimized scan engine
      The biggest change in Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a completely new and multi-core optimized scanning engine. As a result Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 is on average 450% faster than Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.1 when it comes to on-demand scans!

• Direct disk access scan mode
      The new scan engine features a special direct disk access mode. Using this direct disk access mode we are able to circumvent and detect all currently active file based rootkits.

• Advanced caching mechanisms
      Another feature of the new scan engine is an advanced caching mechanism. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is able to learn from the files on your system, recognizing files that are trustworthy and skipping them in future scans if they haven't changed. Due to this the performance impact of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware File Guard has been greatly reduced.

• Drastically improved boot times
      Due to several optimizations we made, we were able to drastically reduce the impact Emsisoft Anti-Malware has on the boot process.

• Internal rating system to further reduce false positives on well known files
      Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 uses the information it gathers from various sources including the advanced cache to recognize and prevent false positives.

• Entirely new license system
      Quite a few of our customers thought the account based licensing system was a bit inconvenient. We took this criticism as motivation to switch Emsisoft Anti-Malware (and later all other Emsisoft products) over to a completely new key based licensing scheme. As a result you no longer need a special account to use Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Another feature of the new licensing scheme is a unique referral program that allows users to obtain or extend licenses by referring our products to friends and family.

• As well as dozens of other small changes ...

Known issues:
    • The direct disk access is incompatible to striped RAIDs. This is a limitation that will exist in the release version as well due to the missing documentation of on disk RAID formats.
    • Some users reported freezes when their system returns from standby or hibernation. So far we were not able to reproduce and verify this problem in house. If you are affected by it and want to help us fixing it, please drop me a mail.

Download:

You can download the full Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 Beta setup here:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/a2/EmsisoftAntiMalware6BetaSetup.exe

Be aware that you can't use this setup to upgrade an already existing Emsisoft Anti-Malware version on your system. If you have Emsisoft Anti-Malware already installed you will have to remove it completely which will also delete all your rules and settings. If you don't want to loose your settings you will have to wait until we enable the upgrade via beta online update in a few days.

During installation you will notice that Emsisoft Anti-Malware now asks for a license key instead of a user account. You can find this license key in the Emsisoft Customer Center (choose "Manage Licenses" on the left).

Last but not least: All trial licenses have been reset and we will most likely reset them again during and after the beta test to make sure you can participate in the public test without a paid license.

Screenshots:

The new custom scan dialog with thew new Rootkit scan as well as some additional new scan options:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screenshots/eam6/20110816_205629.png

Some people may notice the lack of horses in the GUI. Well, we removed them:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screenshots/eam6/20110816_210457.png

The rootkit scan is able to detect MBR and file based malware. In this example ZeroAccess but TDL is covered as well:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screenshots/eam6/20110816_210428.png

Two examples for the dozens of usability improvements we implemented. In general whenever you delete something you now get a confirmation dialog:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screenshots/eam6/20110816_205714.png

Whenever there are settings you can edit like extension lists you can reset them to their defaults:
    http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/screenshots/eam6/20110816_205809.png

When will the final version be out?

This greatly depends on the feedback and number of bug reports we receive. Our goal is to deliver a stable product and not to meet a deadline. If no more major issues are found during the public test phase you can expect a release within the next 1 or 2 months though.

We want your feedback!

Have you started or found a thread about EAM 6.0 in a different forum? Do you like or dislike a specific change? Do you have questions about one of the new features of EAM 6.0? Are you a Youtube or any other kind of reviewer and made a review? Don't keep them to yourself. Share them with us! Either by simply replying here or via mail.

2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Thanks Fabian. Nice to see this go into public beta.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

450% faster isn't bad. :D

4. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

It's running really smooth. Glad to see the public beta started, I downloaded it from the German security forum.
    Just 1 nuissance - from time to time the Windows security center alerts Esmisoft is turned off, then after a while the alerts goes away and everything is OK. It's done randomely, though the first time I noticed it was on testing by extracting malware from a rar archive.
    I'm on Win7 ultimate 32 bit, no other security software installed.

P.S. I see in the event log of the OS - "The Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 - Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service." - a couple of entries.

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

How much of an actual improvement you get depends mainly on your system. If you still have a single core CPU in use you will notice a lot less improvement in comparison to someone who uses a dual or quad core CPU for example.

Personally I saw improvements from cutting scan times in half (8 year old Celeron system) to cutting them by more than 90% (i7 with SSD Raid 0).

In the end I am certain everyone will see a major improvement in scan speed though.

6. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Can you please look inside your Emsisoft Anti-Malware directory for debug logs (they have the extension ELF). If you find such files please ZIP them and send them via mail to fw@emsisoft.com. Thanks.

7. Durad

Durad Registered Member

What about LIVE disk that can update and scan registry and files... ?

8. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit hasn't been updated yet to use the new scan engine. It will be updated after the Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 release.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Is there a public beta Emergency Kit?

edit: LOL your last post... whoopsies.

10. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

No problem ;).

11. Hungry Man

Well, I can't wait for the official release :D

I still have a year long license for Emsisoft as well as Mamutu and the Emergency Kit is my "go-to" scanner.

12. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Let me know what your first impression is :).

13. newone

newone Registered Member

hello, i have installed version 6.0.0.22, its running well, manual scan seems really fast, plus new features, :thumb:

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If you're not living in any of the big countries you might get some awesome discounts through Emsisoft website :D

15. Hungry Man

I used the closed beta briefly. Very fast. I thought the "600% faster" claim was an exaggeration but it definitely felt that much faster.

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The initial post in this thread says 450%. Please don't succumb to the temptation to exaggerate.;) :D

17. Hungry Man

Haha =p must have been mistaken.

18. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

@Hungry Man & newone:
    Glad you like the improvements we made :).

19. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Registered Member

Hi "Fabian Wosar"

Any plans for Android security from Emsisoft in near future? ;)

Regards,
    Dark Lord

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I guess that would depend more on Ikarus since it's the main engine. Unless Emsisoft wants to develop a whole new product? :D

21. Hungry Man

Bleh, don't bother. Android is fairly secure it's just a matter of tightening up the market.

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I found a bug I think. Every time I run it, it starts the security wizard thing, even though I already finished it.

23. guest

guest Guest

the bug of action center appears at origin with the combo EAM + OA installed.

you just need to turn off-on the file shield (on EAM security center panel) to make it disappear.

24. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Fabian - Please post when 6 is available through online beta update in 5.1.

25. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Good work - been looking forward for this :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.