Mac compatible monitors

Discussion in 'hardware' started by iravgupta, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

2 days ago I bouhgt an acer external monitor for my 13" MacBook Pro. It's 23" LED 1080p.
    I connected it to my notebook via HDMI - MiniDisplay port config, but I am seeing an issue.
    When I drag a window into the monitor and maximise it, the window title bars get cut-off.
    When I shift the menu bar from notebook to external monitor, the same thing happens, the menu bar gets cut-off vertically in half.
    Any ideas would be helpful. During my search, I have not come across a vendor that officially states Mac support. Is there any?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi RaviG!

Sorry I don't know the solution to your problems...

But regarding vendors that have monitors that officially support Macs.
    I remember a while ago, that I was browsing Eizo's website and that I saw one model that had something in the lines of "Mac compatible" in it's specs. And I also saw one model by BenQ that was Mac compatible.

But let's not forget the Apple LED Cinema displays wich is very Mac compatible :D And they are likely going to get an update soon!

3. iravgupta

Yeah....there are two things that are stopping me from getting the cinema display -
    1. It's glossy.
    2. It's expensive.

Chatted with a Dell rep, she said their UltraSharp line is compatible with Mac. I am gonna take my MacBook Pro to BestBuy and connect it live to see if it works or not on other displays like Samsung.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

1. I like glossy :p
    2. Agreed, could be a little cheaper :thumb:
    But it's a high quality monitor so that's why the price is higher.

Yes some Dell monitors are Mac compatible, at least some of the 2010 models were. And Samsung also got some Mac compatible monitors but they are very few afaik, actually I haven't found one Samsung monitor in the last few years that say it's Mac compatible officially.

Edit: I have gone through the BENQ website and I still haven't found that Mac compatible model :argh:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. iravgupta

Problem solved by using VGA-VGA-MiniDisplay cable instead of HDMI-MiniDisplay. 2ms response time in 160$ FTW.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Monitors don't care what OS they are connected too! If there is D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, or Display port support on the card and/or monitor, it will work. You don't look for Linux compatible, do you? 15 years ago, it might have mattered. But not today. It would simply cost too much to make two or more versions of their monitors.

Note the following Samsungs all clearly indicate they are Mac compatible.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27EMNKUY/ZA-features

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS22PTNSF/ZA-features

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27EFHKUV/ZA-features

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

8. Bill_Bright

Thanks, but it wasn't really a "find". Macs have supported Plug and Play (and USB and Firewire) devices for quite a few years. I selected the first 3 monitors I saw and all were Mac compatible, as expected.

It may be important to note that operating systems do not need, or use monitor drivers. Windows does not communicate with the monitor, it communicates with the graphics card (or integrated). Communicating with the monitor, that the card's job. Windows does not care about HDMI, DVI, or D-Sub. But the card and monitor do.

If your monitor came with a driver disk, it's not real. That is, it is not a real driver. All it does is tell Windows (Device Manager) the brand name and model number of the monitor, and the resolutions it does NOT support - so they will not be offered when you want to change it.

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah, but it still feels better that they put the Mac Compatible text in the spec. And as I said not a singel Samsung monitor on their website showed the Mac compatible line last time I visited the website. So I find it quite funny that you picked 3 on random and all showed they were Mac compatible :D

10. Bill_Bright

And I look for Windows 7, USB 3.0, SATA III, or whatever the latest of anything else that indicates I am buying the most recent, or "freshest" version, rather than something that has been sitting on the shelf a long time - like checking the expiration date on a carton of milk. Nothing wrong with that.

And certainly, with Apple's history of proprietary (Read: expensive, hard-to-find) parts, if I were a Mac owner, I would be cautious too. That's not meant a as slam in anyway, just a fact of life - they always have made quality stuff through absolute control over everything - as opposed to the "open market" approach the PC's ATX Form Factor Standard affords consumers.

If you doubt it happened then I would suggest you pick 3 for yourself and see what they support. It would hardly prove my point that Mac support was commonplace if I had to search through dozens to find 3 - It would not be worth my time, or yours - and I would not risk my reputation by attempting to deceive - especially since you can verify it yourself.

I expected to see Mac compatible so I found it neither funny, or surprising. For what it's worth, because now I am curious, I checked ViewSonic and the first two I looked at state they are Mac compatible.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/va2448m-led.htm
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vg2732m-led.htm

Then I decided to check their archives, http://www.viewsonic.com/products/archive/vg2227wm.htm. That only goes back a couple years, but the site is frustratingly slow so, I tried a couple others. HP has Mac Mode - with the same resolutions listed in PC Mode. Other makers don't list any OS - just the connections, which defines the protocals. I forgot DisplayPort earlier - found on both PCs and Macs.

My "guess" is, the last time you checked, it was before Apple converted Macs to Intel based "Standard PC Architecture" or Apple-Intel Architecture. It took awhile for monitor makers to realize people were not buying because it did not say "Mac Compatible" on the box, and then it took awhile to get their marketing and packaging updated.

It is important to note that Apple and Intel have been in bed together for many, many years.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Me too. I always want the latest. I now wait for Apple to update the MBP with some better Graphics.

Indeed. Quality is very important to Apple, and to me as well as a customer of course.

I am very sorry Bill you misunderstood me :oops: I did not doubt you in anyway. I thought it was funny because I checked the Samsung monitor section around 6 months ago, and at that time non of the monitors I looked at were Mac compatible "officially" as we say, as they seem to be today.

But I did not ;) Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised when I see a mac compatible monitor from now on.
    Those have I seen before, though it's sad that Viewsonic always (to 99% at least) uses TN panels instead of VA or IPS etc...

Yeah Displayport is great since it can be found on both PC's and Macs as you say. And yes it's coming more and more on the PC's side as well :thumb:

No, I checked 6 months ago as I said above lol :p

They even made a baby named Thunderbolt :D

12. iravgupta

This is an update to my original issue...since the Acer display refused to play nice with Mac OS X using an HDMI cable, I returned it and got a Samsung display. Little bit more expensive, but totally worth it.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great :thumb: Just curious...Wich Samsung monitor did you get?

14. iravgupta

15. Bill_Bright

Looks nice. You ARE going to get two, right? It's the only way to go! ;)

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Looks nice indeed RaviG.

Does it have a TN panel or something better? I can't find that answer on the site.
    Though I think it is a TN panel since I haven't seen any IPS based panels with 2ms in response time yet.

17. iravgupta

would love to...but kinda short on finances..saving for the new MacBook Air.

18. iravgupta

I frankly don't know...I was in too much of a hurry to get a decent one that didn't screw with maximized windows. I have a question here though...do IPS panels come in anti-glare variety?

19. iravgupta

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes there are anti-glare models available :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.