Panda AV Pro 2012 is driving me CRAZY !!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So I made the BIG mistake of "liking" Panda Security on Facebook so I could get the 6 month free license of Panda Antivirus Pro 2012 (or whatever it's name is now). I download from the free offer page on Facebook and install. After install I am warned that I have not activated my product. In the help menu I am informed that I should use the license key from the retail box or the key I was emailed. There obviously was no retail box and there is no place to request a license key via email in the program or on the Facebook promo page. So I figure I am out of luck as Panda will not update signatures without a valid license code.

So I decide to just uninstall and call it a day. Big mistake #2. During uninstall I get a pop up warning from Panda that some of my "system files" are in quarantine and that they will be lost should I continue with the uninstall. So uninstall is stopped. I check quarantine and nothing appears to be there. I am not sure why anything would be in quarantine anyway as there never was a scan nor were there any pop up messages claiming some file had been placed in quarantine.

So now what? Should I just play Texas Style and uninstall anyway, despite the warnings that system files will be lost?

Attached Files:

2. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Go for it, you can just use your backup or backup clone to re image, no big deal!!

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Over "3000 posts" on this forum and you still don't "IMAGE" o_O

Cause if you did, this would be all fixed up in a matter of minutes!

4. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

They normally email you a product key once you like them. Its wierd that Panda didn't give you some kind of key to be able to activate the product updates.

EDIT: A Panda mod may be able to help with this question if you wait abit longer. The message seems abit strange too, why would Panda quarantine system files?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. carat

carat Guest

No big deal? o_O Great security software - it put system files to quarantine and it's unable to restore them :D

6. jason_jiang

jason_jiang Registered Member

the quarantine issue exists in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
    the uninstallation warns you that some "system files" exist in quarantine, but in fact, the quarantine is indeed empty.
    this bug had been once fixed in 2012 Beta I (or in a 2011 hotfix, not very sure), but reintroduced in Beta II and final version. i feel disappointed with panda's efficiency of solving bugs.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Fixed and reintroduced? :rolleyes:

I guess if you report it they will fix it :thumb: ;)

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wonder if PCAV has the same issue?

9. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

It doesn't. I've uninstalled and re-installed PCAV dozens of times in the past three months. ;)

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good to know. Thanks.

11. acr1965

I just used the uninstall tool from the panda web site- seemed to work ok.

12. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

All you need to do is to register the product as trial, there's no product key.

13. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

I hope pbust is aware, my friends and I noticed that there were times, panda software are not recognized by the security center, even though the protection is on the security center ask for firewall, antivirus software, but this was random times, but kinda irritating,hmm. waiting on a fix

14. m0unds

m0unds Guest

@acr1965 I think it's a localization issue with the installer. I've seen that same phrase appear with the 2010, 2011 and 2012 products during uninstall, whether or not there was anything in the quarantine.

@clayieee there are issues with windows security center, period. I've seen that "issue" on just about every product's KB or support forum. it's a recurring problem with each version of windows, including xp, vista and w7, and isn't generally an issue with the av/security product itself.

here's a link for avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457
    here's a link for eset: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN217
    here's a link for avira: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=179359
    here's a link for panda: http://support.pandasecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=5998
    here's a link for bitdefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/article/814/

all of them have a similar solution, resetting the repository.

took me all of a minute to find each of these with a search on duckduckgo.

15. progress

progress Guest

I second that! :( Now I want to deinstall it and I get ...

Attached Files:

16. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

17. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

This is not the answer to this problem!If it was,the AV vendors should offer us with their AV a backup program too(a free one,of course),or should warn us with something like "ATTENTION!MAKE A BACKUP IMAGE BEFORE INSTALLING OUR ANTIVIRUS BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AND YOU WILL NEED IT!"
    No,we are doing backups because we like to say that we are advanced users,but what about a regular one,a newbie?I assure you that all the newbies i know never heard about backups and they should do it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  18. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I had a terrible experience with Panda Internet Security 2010. After running a full scan Panda deleted (not quarantined) a few files that I knew for a fact were false positives. So, I proceeded to look for a way to restore these files... it wasn't possible. I went to the support forum for help but no one replied at all that week. Then I sent their technical support an email, and was told to review the FAQ, which of course didn't help me at all. Extremely frustrated, I called their support line only to be notified by an automated message that I will be charged for this call. I hung up, uninstalled the program, and cut my losses. I finally was able to recover the lost files using Piriform's "Recuva" as recommended by a few folks here at Wilders who reassured me that this was common behavior for PAV.

I have never since even thought of using a Panda product other than PCAV, which is fantastic.

19. progress

progress Guest

Will Panda ever fix that nonsense? Acr1965 reported it 5 months ago! :thumbd:

20. acr1965

The problem with the Facebook 6 month free license promo applies to both the Panda Cloud and Panda av. This problem of the promo license not working properly has went on long enough and both Facebook pages are soon to be reported if the issues are not fixed. The combination of an invalid license promo followed up by an warning that uninstall will brick a system is a strategy some rogue antivirus would use. That sort of dubious activity is not normal for Panda. But, as I have said, this has went on long enough and if not fixed by Panda immediately needs to be reported.

21. pbust

pbust AV Expert

The quarantine issue is a known issue documented on our support knowledge base. There are fixes available for Panda Global Protection, Panda Internet Security and Panda Antivirus Pro 2012. A simple search or post on our forum would have revealed this.

The Facebook promo is not really a problem. When it warned you to activate it you should simply do as instructed and activate it. Then the license will become active.

22. acr1965

Do you even know what the Facebook problem is? The message from the cloud av says the pro license is expired as soon as it's downloaded. There are no instructions as to how to activate a new license. The problem has been reported on the cloud av Facebook wall repeatedly with no fix.

23. pbust

pbust AV Expert

What problem are you having with the FB 6-month PRO version? I just installed it and it activated correctly for me.

ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 15 08.37.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Dec. 15 08.37.jpg

24. progress

progress Guest

25. acr1965

Upon install I got a warning message that the license is expired and I need to insert the product key. This was on a laptop that did not have any Panda product on it previously. I would share pictures but have uninstalled. Apparently others have had similar issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.