Favourite browser - 2011 (Jul - Dec)

Discussion in 'polls' started by carat, Jul 9, 2011.

?

Which is your favourite web browser?

1. Internet Explorer

23 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Mozilla Firefox

74 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Google Chrome

39 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Safari

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Opera

37 vote(s)
    20.1%
  6. Other

10 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. carat

carat Guest

Which is your favourite web browser?

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I don't really have a favorite browser right now. I don't like some of the directions Firefox is going in and I don't like IE or Chrome so I'm in browser limbo right now.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Chromium

Sul.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

l am still pretty much a Firefox guy despite having some dislike with the direction Mozilla is heading to (esp. their rapid version naming scheme).

Nevertheless, I'm still looking into Chrome (and it's 'cousins') and Opera as credible alternatives...each having their own sets of pros and cons.

Luckily though for me, some features that Firefox lacks (or which exists in competing browsers) that I find interesting/useful may be found in extensions which may sometimes provide better value/configuration compared to the ones existing in the competing browsers.

As for IE, the way I see it is that it has improved compared to it's predecessors (e.g. TPL and ActiveX filtering) but I personally find it lacking in certain features which I want/need.

As for Safari, the few times I've tried it failed to impress me.

5. guest

guest Guest

IE 9 and Pale Moon

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

IE9 and Chrome, vote should be multiple choice.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

At this time, Chrome has really impressed me, particularly with its speed.
    I've used IE for ages, only briefly trying out another browser a few times, only to come right back to IE.
    But the slowness of it (even after resetting to default conditions) finally drove me from the ranks.

8. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Right now Opera is. I was finding Firefox 4.0 too buggy so I was searching for alternatives. Chrome... Well I'm not going to voice my opinion on that, but let's just say it's not very good. I installed Opera, it has all the features I need and more and works like a charm.

9. NoobStick

NoobStick Guest

I am using IE 9 and Opera, have tried Chrome many times, but still I am coming back to what I have had on my system for a long time , it just feels more right for me.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I wouldn't mind hearing what your opinion is on Chrome.
    You've already said it's not good, so tell us why. :)

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I agree...

12. guest

guest Guest

I'm curious to see what replies I will get from Chrome fanboys.

I don't like Chrome because I can't live without "Live Bookmarks", and only Internet Explorer and Firefox-based browsers properly support this feature.

There are addons for Chrome that try to add some level of Livemark support, but the browser is inherently limited and so the addons can't do much.

13. Hungry Man

I suppose. I was lucky to find all of the extensions I needed. The API is as closed as possible for security reasons though it's about damn time they started opening it up.

The only two valid criticisms for chrome that I can think of are:
    1) There's some specific extension missing
    2) You don't like the UI

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Chrome works alot better for me with Sandboxie than IE8 does.
    I think tzuk has done better work with Chrome, in allowing direct access to bookmarks and preferences and such, and it shows in ease of operation... or maybe I just didn't have SBIE configured properly for IE.

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Pretty specific, and pretty reasonable, if you ask me.
    I never heard of Live Bookmarks, but in quickly reading about it, I understand why you like it so much can't live without it. ;)

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am currently a chromium fanboy, and a sandboxie fanboy, and an intel fanboy, and I am also a guitar fanboy, a springfield XD fanboy and also a RockRiverArms fanboy. At least, for now.

And, I like pie.

Is that the sort of fanboy reply you were looking for ? :D

Seriously though, I have always leaned towards a responsive browser with good rendering times and the more simplistic the better. I held out on using chrome for a long time and stuck with kmeleon or opera. Since giving chrome a go, I can say it has won me over on many aspects. I do believe it to be the most secure at the moment, but any browser could be secure if one so desired.

Sul.

17. Hungry Man

**If one desired and was willing to set up 3rd party applications (possibly pay applications)

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Your point being what?

Sul.

19. guest

guest Guest

I tried to end my "Live Bookmark dependence" and free myself to pretty much any browser: Feed Demon and FeedReader were of some help, but the larger number of clicks in order to read the relevant RSS news was starting to hurt. My internet life is totally dependent on Live Bookmarks.

20. Hungry Man

Just a point that I think is worth making. For other browsers like Firefox/ Opera to reach the level of security that Chrome provides they'd need software like Sandboxie Paid and they still wouldn't fully achieve it.

21. guest

guest Guest

In terms of security, I think that IE 9 beats Chrome, thanks to a better native malware/phishing protection (SmartScreen Filter).

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

That is not true. I like Chromium and am a big fan of how they sandboxed it, even though many call it a hacked way of doing it, but it is not the only way to have a secure browser.

Nor does one have to rely on sandboxie or other 3rd party applications to make the browser "behave". There are many ways to make a browser stay problem free, or not become the door into your domain for any baddies.

The context I think you are looking for is that under all default conditions Chromium based browsers are most likely the most secure. You could put IE in that context too on vista/7 machines if everything is at default.

Sul.

23. Hungry Man

It's not the only way to secure a browser... but good luck finding a way to separate your tabs into separate sandboxed processes in firefox and opera, or somehow finding another method of preventing one infected tab from accessing another.

24. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Agreed, segregation of tabs is a very nice feature of chromium based browsers, and there isn't another browser that really does that.

However, I don't think there would be a difference in overall security if the browser ran at Low IL and a tab were compromised. With chrome it is different because the starting process, whether you call that the parent or the handler, runs at Med or greater IL while all child processes that are tabs run at Low IL. Chrome must rely on job objects then to make each tab a separate object so nothing infiltrates the parent process. The benefit of this is that a tab might go "aww snap, I had an error" and close leaving the browser itself still functioning. But from a security perspective, any browser that is spawned at Low IL will be as secure as chromium in an overall nature regarding the integrity of the OS.

What makes chrome nice though when considering the segregation of tabs is that in theory you could be on one tab doing some banking, and without an exploit taking place, be reasonably sure that another tab where you are viewing some deep dark place of the internet will not "tamper" with your banking tab.

It depends on what you do and whether you want or need your tabs segregated from one another. Many choose a browser based on all the offerings, not just what security pros or cons it brings. Opera in the hands of Rmus, and how he does things, is as secure if not more secure than chrome browsers with thier sandbox features. It only shows one way, of which a great many exist.

Favorite browser could entail one that has a unique feature like mouse guestures. Opera was the only one to have that for a long time, which is a large reason why I used it for so long. Now most of them have it. Favorite browser, with only a half dozen serious browser around, isn't it fascinating how some people just like one over the other, for different reasons? Around here security is much sought after, but even here security isn't always the boss, sometimes it comes down to simple likes and dislikes.

Fortunately there is not one "master recipe" to security. This allows each of us to cook up what works for us.

Sul.

25. Hungry Man

Well, Safari for Lion does =p

Well, that's exactly my point. Separating the tab processes means that one tab can be infected and the other tab remains safe.

Which is fine. I'm just focusing on the security.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.