Create ISO Image of USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TraumaDoc, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TraumaDoc

TraumaDoc Registered Member

I want to create an ISO image of my USB Flash drive (DataTraveler G3) but having issues. I can't find a program that will make a simple ISO image (preferably in .iso format) just as making a CD/DVD image ISO. I have tried a dozen programs including, WinISO, WinImage, UltraISO, and more. Nothing really wants to touch the USB Flash but only CD/DVD.

Sure, I can use ImageForWindows I have installed, etc., but prefer to just use a straight up disk tool like UltraISO.

I tried a couple tools that made .img and .img images, but the resultant image was not usable/mountable/viewable in all the other programs that use those formats. An example is that I used the USB Image Tool and it created ima/img and could not be read with other tools.

Also, when I created the img/ima images and tried to "convert" with all the other tools, it also fails, saying that the source image is invalid.

I have also tried AnyToISO but it's a bit hinky as well on the img/ima I created in other programs - saying that it can't find the valid ISO signature and that I reached some 5 GB limit and can't continue.

This happens regardless of file format/structure on the USB.

So, can someone recommend a solid way to make a simple .iso ISO image of my USB Flash Drive?

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

ImgBurn should work for you: http://www.imgburn.com/

I believe it will build an .iso directly from removable media, but worst-case scenario you can copy the files off the USB drive and into a folder on your hard drive, then create the .iso from there.

Obviously, when you go to burn the created .iso image to disc, you're not going to be able to burn an image larger than the disc can support.
    So if your blank DVD-R disc can only hold 4GB of data, that's going to be your limitation size for an .iso file, regardless of whether ImgBurn can create one larger or not.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I use ever the standalone tool Folder2Iso.

After press "Selected Folder" button you can choose your USB Flash Drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.