Stop using Avira, or not?

Discussion in 'polls' started by koliko, Jun 21, 2011.

?

Are you planning to stop using Avira?

1. Yes, I'm going to stop using Avira Personal

20 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Yes, I'm going to stop using Avira Premium/Security Suite

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. No, I'm not going to stop using Avira Personal

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. No, I'm not going to stop using Avira Premium/Security Suite

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. I'm not using Avira, but if I did I'd uninstall their products

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. I'm not using Avira, but if I did I wouldn't uninstall their products

15 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. I couldn't care less

24 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. koliko

koliko Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Re: Stop using Avira

I'm not using it right but not because of Uniblue or the ask toolbar. I really think that people are making too much out of nothing. Norton uses ask as their main search engine for example and Uniblue is a legitimate company. If it was a rogue company then I would have understood all those commotions.

Avira is a great company that provides great security software for its users, free or paid. I always have a great belly laugh reading people complaints about a software that is free. :D :D :D .

Thanks.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Never used it. This wouldnt stop me. Theyre just trying to make money.

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

they release a new version today

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

No, I'm not going to stop using Avira Personal

6. c2d

c2d Registered Member

My license for Avira Premium expired today.
    And I'm not planning to renew it.

7. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Is this a crime :eek: Which planet do you live lol

8. BoaterDave

BoaterDave Registered Member

Perhaps you could/would advise on you know that to be a fact (and not just a guess/hope)?

Thanks in anticipation! ;-)

Dave

9. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Why stop using it? Great protection for years for me.

10. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

http://www.freeware-guide.com/html/adwarelist.html

Of course i won't stop using Avira personal over this. Everybody's doing it these days. I don't like it but if this is what it takes to keep the best free AV as effective as it was all these years, so be it. It's not like they don't give you any option during the installation (like Foxit 5 does-stay away), just open your eyes.
    I must say though, that Avira should leave their premium customers alone

11. CogitoTesting

The anticipation is over...:D.

I have done some research and I have found that they are a Microsoft Gold certified partner and I have yet to find a rogue company that can achieve that certification credibility level. And also I have reviewed their software offering at Softpedia and Cnet and none of these review sites rated any of Uniblue software as rogue or malicious.

More importantly Avira is a reputable computer security company if they can find it ok to associate themselves with Uniblue then such an association is quite alright for me. The same is true for Symantec. If Symantec finds it alright to associate themselves with Ask as their main search engine then it is ok for me also.

http://www.microsoft.com/hk/certpartner/default.mspx

https://solutionfinder.microsoft.co...px?partnerid=a6fc7830fc1f485b85eac3905162ca2e

http://www.cnet.com/topic-software/uniblue-systems.html

http://www.softpedia.com/developer/Uniblue-Systems-1753.html

All in all there is no credible information that can prove that Uniblue or Ask are bad companies. If Uniblue can achieve Microsoft Gold Certified partner by fulfilling all of the pertinent requirements, that alone speak for itself.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ever since I installed my first AV years ago I've had 3 big names which I ditched for specific reasons: I couldn't send any e-mails and support was nonexistent for the first (lost $50), I was given officially a blacklisted license by the second (lost 50 Euros), and the third had admittedly failed to detect malware on several occasions (no loss there as I didn't renew my license).

The bottom line is that Avira (I have the Premium version) so far hasn't failed once in delivering what it advertises, and I don't see how their marketing choices would affect the performance of their software.

If Avira made a marketing mistake, they will bear the consequences in the long run. Consider that Wilders has roughly 10,000 active members, and even if they were all negative about Avira that wouldn't do much to sway the opinion of 100 million strong of free users world wide, the classic drop in the ocean.

13. Technical

Technical Registered Member

No Ask toolbar, no Uniblue products.
    -1 to Avira :mad:

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unlike some freeware puritans, this doesn't affect me nearly as much.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been on the fence with Avira for quite some time now. If I were going to continue using it, I'd purchase the Premium version and avoid using the free anymore.

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Same here. Which I've been meaning to do but just have not had time. Still running NOD32 and Avast here.

Strictly speaking of Avira free though, due to recent events I would not use it. Would choose Avast instead.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't really care IMO.
    Since i won't really be affected :rolleyes:

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'd agree with that (Use Premium) and Avast for the free version as Avast is more feature rich than Avira Free anyway and detection percentages are close. As for UniBlue they aren't currently widely considered rogue, just incompetent to the point of being dangerous, it seems. And Osaban's comments are spot on in my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  19. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I'm not using Avira, but if I did I'd uninstall it.

20. guest

guest Guest

I respect your opinion in this instance, but I don't agree.

Free software bundled with optional, unobtrusive and easily uninstallable adware are essentially good if you consider all possible aspects regarding the fact of the matter.

You guys are becoming extremists, in other words, crossing the line and moving into the Nonsense territory, this gets evident when one analyzes all that paranoia about avoiding an updated CCleaner standard build (bundled with optional Yahoo toolbar) in favor of waiting several days in order to be able to install the updated CCeaner slim (nothing bundled).

:mad: o_O :(

21. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Agree with you completely. I may shoot you a PM about Avira so as not to muck up the thread.

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Gotta agree. It's really simple, don't install the add-ons during installation of Avira Personal (i.e., free version).

23. CogitoTesting

Bottom line is: A company must generate revenues for that company to survive, right? If Avira has to cancel its free offering some if not most people will complain about it, right? Right...

Now that Avira tries to generate some revenues from its free products by having some deals with some other companies, well...you guess it, some people are still complaining. What is it that you want in the end? Are you a proponent of a die-hard free for ever or else bankruptcy for Avira. Is that it?

Thanks.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If I ever change from Avira, it wouldn't be to Avast. It's over-recommended, especially in threads dealing with Avira.

25. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Uniblue is very controversial company, whether it is a legitimate company or a Microsoft Gold Partner doesn't make much difference to those who have used Uniblue products. To some users their products are rogueware and scareware whereas other others might find them somewhat useful to a lesser degree.

However most users who have tried Uniblue products will agree they are junkware, less effective or useless in their performance compared to many totally free products like CCleaner, WinUtilities Free Edition, Glary Utilities, TweakNow PowerPack, Ashampoo WinOptimizer Free, Advanced SystemCare Personal, Defraggler, etc to name a few.

Uniblue Registry Booster is a very dangerous product, they are many reports of it destroying Windows OS and corrupting programs and causing errors. Of coarse all registry cleaners can do the same, but Registry Booster is much worse than others because it detects many important registry keys as errors needed by Windows OS to function. Especially when it uses scareware to make users think they have critical errors because it detects invalid keys rates them as "Critical" on a newly install Windows OS which has no errors.

To myself not only is Registry Booster rogueware and scareware, it is a dangerous as a virus and should be detected as malware.

So does all of this Uniblue and Ask Toolbar effect my decision on using or recommending Avira products? Of coarse it does, I want to use or recommend products that are trustworthy. Birds of the feather flock together. That is the way that I feel about any trusted company that wants to partner with a controversial company. It will always damage your relationship with customers and your over-all reputation.

I believe it is too early to make a decision whether Avira is still trustworthy or not, since they haven't announced if they have changed their minds about these partnerships or not.

So I'm not going to jump to conclusions until they have announced what they are going to do. Therefore I'm not going to vote in this poll for now.

Thanks.:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.