HIPS problem with RC

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Phil_S, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

I am running a UK version of Quicken personal financial software (Quicken XG 2004 UK) on my computer with XP SP3. I regularly save a backup copy of the Quicken file to a second hard disk and a USB stick.

Since installing Nod v5 RC (AV, not ESS) I have been unable to back-up the Quicken file to either the second disk or the USB stick, or indeed any other location on my PC or removable media. When I attempt to save a back-up copy Quicken displays the error "Unable to access the disk in drive X:" (where X is the drive letter for whichever destination I have chosen).

It's taken me a while to track the problem down because I installed the Nod RC on the same day as the latest Windows patches, but I have now found that Quicken behaves normally after I disable HIPS and reboot the machine.

The problem didn't occur with HIPS enabled in the previous v5 beta, so I can only assume something has changed with HIPS between the beta and RC.

I have also installed Quicken on a laptop also running XP SP3 patched with the latest Windows updates, but with my licensed Nod v4 installed, and again the problem doesn't arise, so I assume from this that it points to an incompatibility between the program and HIPS.

Quicken is no longer sold or supported in the UK and the version I am running was the last available version. I have so many years worth of records invested in it that I would like to keep it running if possible. I should also mention that Quicken has to be run with admin privileges, but I normally run it as such from a limited user account, although whilst testing this issue I have run it both in that way and whilst logged in as an administrator, with identical results.

Any ideas gratefully received. Do I need to create a rule in HIPS, or am I resigned to running Nod with HIPS disabled?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There's an option to log all blocked operations in the HIPS setup. Please enable it, reproduce the problem and post here the relevant entries from the HIPS log.

3. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Marcos,

Logging enabled as you asked, but there are no entries relating to the problem.

The only other thing I can tell you is that a google search reveals the same error message and inability to backup from Quicken seems to occur when it is run under Vista, but in that case running the program with admin privileges solves what appears to be a permissions problem.

Running as admin makes no difference here though, but the problem is repeatable - with HIPS enabled I cannot backup the Quicken file to any location either running as admin or a limited user. With HIPS disabled, it works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.