Outpost firewall Pro New release

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Circe, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Outpost Firewall Pro Version: 7.5 3717.574.1668 released today 15th June 2011
    Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 — Performance Edition 3717.574.1668

Release date: June 15, 2011

Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5 — Performance Edition introduces the following improvements:

Performance:

Web page filtering is 3x faster
    Filtering for spyware sites is up to 100 times faster
    CPU and memory consumption are lower
    Improved performance and stability on 64-bit PCs
    Security:

New SmartDecision module increases accuracy of non-signature detection
    New clipboard and screen content protection secures cut-and-paste operations and prevents screen scraping
    Auto-Learn mode now operates more securely, even on infected PCs
    Autorun Protection prevents malware from spreading via USB drives
    Updated and extended list of applications and associated data protected by AppGuard
    Enhanced self-protection mechanism
    Greater control over registry backup and restore attempts
    Compatibility and Ease of Use:

Ability to submit suspect files to Agnitum automatically from within the UI for further analysis
    Support for mobile broadband devices under Windows 7
    Redesigned pop-up dialogs for more intuitive operation
    What’s Fixed:

Content filter and firewall operational issues under Windows 7 and Windows Vista
    Blocking by keywords issues
    Issues while streaming videos on YouTube
    Performance issues on Windows 7 machines
    Issues while using BitTorrent clients (including performance issues)
    Most commonly reported causes of system crashes
    Decreased number of Application Guard false positives
    Minor GUI fixes

http://www.agnitum.com/purchase/outpost/

Circe.

2. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Awsome! :thumb:

*Edit*: Yep, here's some pics about it Firzen771 :)

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      140.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

what do the "redesigned popups" look like?

4. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Great....love Outpost

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thanks for the screenshots, the new popups seem to provide more info which is nice

6. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Your not the only one who's in love with Outpost :D

Np firzen771, yep they certainly redesigned those pop-ups. Makes decision making much easier :) My comp feels much faster with latest version than 7.1... at that time my comp was crawling :p

7. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I just wish they would release a free version of the firewall (like the 2009 version). Currently they only have Security Suite Free but the antivirus is a pain in the a...uhm...behind. I know it can be turned off but that is definitely not the same as the component not being there to begin with.

8. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Its nice that you can purge unused applications in this release too.It was a pain having to do it manually in the past.
    ellison

9. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Im with you man. That would be nice, dunno if theyl do that tho. As suite is already free :(

I dont know about the suite, never tried it. But have you checked the machine.ini file? from there you can disable spyware module and web control totally :) (Atleast in Outpost FW Pro).

Ellison64: Yea it is :) the list lagged quite a bit if you had many application rules in it, and no purge button (7.1) :D

10. guest

guest Guest

This new version of outpost is amazing between OA, Outpost and Comodo is quite difficult to choose one :D

11. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Yes it is! :D

What appealed to me was 1 Outpost lifetime license :D
    for 3 comps, hard to resist :thumb:

Well ofc comodo has goody free version as OA but i like tinkering with settings and outpost gave me an apetite + IP Blocklist :D

12. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

HI all. I installed Outpost Firewall Pro last night on my laptop and after installing and reboot, I got a little nervous because it took considerable time to reboot. My average boot time is 26 seconds and this went on for well over a minute. Then it finally loaded the desktop, but for some reason my MSE icon was not showing. I decide to reboot again and this time just after the login screen my laptop screen went dark and stayed that way. The backlight was lit up on the display, but just a black picture. I waited and waited and finally forced a reboot. After that it loaded fine and I haven't had another issue yet, but given this I would say the install was far from smooth.

I am on a very clean and lean install of win 7 64bit and just use MSE and Sanboxie paid version and had been using Win7 firewall. I do manual scans every so often with MBAM and HitmanPro and they always come up clean. I did make a backup with Win 7 before installing Outpost Firewall and told it to make an image too so if things went wrong hopefully that would allow me to get back on track. Before this little glitch on installing Outpost, this laptop never crashed and has been the most stable reliable computer I ever used.

Well anyway, things seem to be running smooth right now and Outpost Firewall is functioning properly so i guess I will keep using it for now and if it gives me any other problems that I can't get sorted out, then I can just go back to the Windows 7 backup I made.

Do you guys know if it is safe to use the Real-Time Spyware module in Outpost Firewall Pro alongside of MSE? In the past versions of Outpost, they sometimes disabled Real-Time Spyware protection so as not to interfere with the Antivirus.

Anyway, I will give it a good trial at least because I have a 3 PC lifetime license that I bought several years back so I might as well.

13. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Hm, well it's possible that Outpost Spyware Protection caused those issues. I have tried same combination with desktop and laptop, havent had eny issues. Tho when outpost was installed and asked for a reboot i didnt reboot, excluded outpost from mse's realtime scanner then reboot. Never had eny issues. Mse offers better protection than outposts spyware protection.. considering the definition files come evry 2-3 days i think. Im no expert, just sharing some info.
    As you said your windows didnt have eny other stuff in it, cant see enything else that would have collided. Check this out: -http://www.agnitum.com/support/chat.php- you can chat with agnitum support about that issue or if they are not in the chat you can leave offline message to which they will respond, id suggest you try it! Would be nice to know if you could do the same i did when installing outpost, eny chance to revert back to clean image and try the installation again? :)

*Edit*: Example if you install Avast! free AV first and Outpost after, outpost will detect the AV and disable that Spyware Protection component in outpost. I dont know why it dosent detect MSE tho :/

14. guest

guest Guest

The antimalware module of the pro version is home made or it's a comercial engine?

15. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Well im not totally sure but i think it uses VirusBuster engine with some in-house modifications.
    Check this link: -http://www.agnitum.com/about/partners.php- First partner from the list and the last one at bottom of the page.

Seems Avanquest Software has licensed Agnitum's anti-malware technology.

“Agnitum is a long-term partner for us. Our close cooperation in technology has been to mutual benefit. The result: solid security suite solutions by Agnitum and VirusBuster”.

*Edit*: I borrowed from Wikipedia: ''Beside the retail solutions for different market segments its also important for the company, that its antiviral engine became an independent product. Several international companies are licensing VirusBuster's technology, and integrate it into their own products. Some of them are:
    - Outpost Security Suite Pro and Outpost Antivirus Pro''

16. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Would you install this over the older version or clean install this?

17. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yeah I had trouble deciding which one to use on my laptop. I ended up with OA but there is some things about Outpost I liked. Any one of those is a winner. :thumb:

18. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

If your earlier version is from 7.0 version and up then yes it should work fine. Im not sure about version 6 to 7.x.

I would install over a new version if your version is 7.x :) But it's safest to do clean install if your not sure.

cm1971: Your using free or paid?
    Just out of curiousity, did you submit those bugs to agnitum? ;)

19. guest

guest Guest

I have been testing this new version and the process acs.exe eats until 12% of the cpu while using some p2p programs, I don't remember this with Comodo or OA :( It's a pitty that this outpost is still having this kind of problems after so many years....

Simply browsing uses until 6%

I haven't installed the web control and the antimalware, and I have disable the logging of info.

20. poison

poison Registered Member

since the new upgrade my system completely fails the spyshelter keylogger and spyware test but passes the comodo leak test. i'm really surprised that it fails the keylogger test as there was supposed to be an improvement in this area.

proactive antileak is set to maximum and i have cleared known components..

21. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Hm, yea i can concour this :/
    According to release notes p2p rescource usage was improved in 7.5, hm so it's bit odd. Aye, i havent had this problem with OA free nor Comodo.
    Might be a bug?

Poison: Is your Component Control active thru Anti-Leak Settings active? When i installed 7.5 it was off and that's why it failed spyshelter tests.
    Have you tested with different settings in Anti-Leak?
    Here's how's myne: Added couple of screens. Outpost FW is only HIPs i have.

Attached Files:

• 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      37.8 KB
      Views:
    • 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Mine is ok with the keylogger test, but fails the registry access test. This is with everything turned on.

23. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Wow that's odd, im just using the advanced settings not maximum. I add couple of screens, i just run those tests. Sry those screens are in a bit disorder.

Comodo leaktest score when i pressed allow once to every popup. When i block all changed the score is 310.

For me outpost is very user friendly, tells what is trying to change, is it screebuffer or etc.

SpyShelter registery test has only 2 tests active (64bit) from first test i got alert, it didnt matter if i allowed or blocked it manually. Outpost still protected critical keys from modifications. The second registery test didnt offer eny popups but according to the test it was blocked.

Attached Files:

• 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    • 16.JPG
      16.JPG
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • 17.JPG
      17.JPG
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.JPG
      18.JPG
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
    • 19.JPG
      19.JPG
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  24. poison

poison Registered Member

25. poison

poison Registered Member

Well my results keep changing one moment it will pass the next it fails.
    a while ago before I made the short video I uninstalled Outpost and Installed fresh and now after setting antileak to max again I fail the Comodo Leak Test on 2 things as seen here: http://db.tt/U2GIA9t
    but before these are the results I had:
    http://db.tt/AFYqzyJ

I'll keep playing around to see if I am missing anything,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.