foxit v5 now up for download caution though

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

"Change Your Reader Skin" really? "Customize the shortcut keys" honestly? "Windows Explorer Thumbnails" HOORAY! More room for exploits!

This is turning out to be more of a bloatfest than Adobe. I'm glad Microsoft might be building a PDF reader into Windows 8.

3. zfactor

my feelings exactly and now you have no choice but to install the toolbar which is ridiculous, now to find a pdf reader that works well is fast and doesnt use a boatload of memory, i like pdfx but its memory usage is inasane at times and when you limit it imo it gets so slow to use...

4. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i am using sumatra pdf nowadays...........and its light and easy!

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

When I last looked, Sumatra didn't allow for changing the page background color to a color of the user's choice.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Let's see how portableapps.com deals with this.

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

What Toolbar is installed? I looked on the website and can't find any reference to changes in the Toolbar inclusion. Am I missing something obvious?? :blink:

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

10. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Yeah, I think I was wise switching to Sumatra year ago. I think Foxit's only good point was that it was fast alternative for Adobe Reader, but now I'd rather install Adobe than Foxit.

After all, PDF reader doesn't need to be so complicated.

11. zfactor

no this is why im a bit ticked off. i see the ask bar installed but there is no uninstall option. now i was able to remove it with both jv16 and revo but then when i started foxit i got a error message.

also you can NOT install v5 on top of v4 like before. you must first uninstall v4 then install v5 no way around that.

does anyone else have the uninstall option in the control panel??

i actually like nitro but it does not render many things properly especially graphics they are all choppy and fuzzy when you fill the screen width wise to be able to read a pdf well.

12. zfactor

okay something odd. i re-downloaded the installed from foxit web site and tried on a different computer and this time had no notification of any toolbar at all and none got installed?? i wonder if they updated the installer to fix this? im going to try on another system to make sure

13. guest

guest Guest

I was too very angry about this damn ASK-Toolbar. - But after installation of Foxit Reader v5 on Win7 I could simply uninstall this unwanted ASK-Stuff without any problem via the usual way. I never saw that toolbar active in Firefox or IE. - Foxit Reader seems to work without this. But I am also really considering switching back to Adobe if Foxit doesn't stop this sneaky behavior.

We users don't want those pesky toolbars! :thumbd: - If a vendor can't live without them they should close their company. - After all the newest version of Adobe Reader isn't such a slow bloat and Foxit isn't faster anymore. So they dig their own grave with such criminal tactics (installing unwanted toolbars is not better than installing any other malware to me). - Stop it Foxit or people won't use your software anymore, last warning! *puppy*

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well i switched to Sumatra and im liking it, it works pretty well

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

It does not really want to know a lot of functions that will never see in my life!

I just want a bed for PDF.

Or use the SumatraPDF portable, or reader of Chrome. Perfect!

16. zfactor

hmm second install and once again no notification of the toolbar and it did not get installedo_Oim wondering now if there are 2 different installers...this one i got has a ton of options during install.

17. guest

guest Guest

I had my installer downloaded from filehippo.com a few hours ago. - ASK-Toolbar was included there and I saw it first during unpacking when my firewall wanted to block it. - So maybe there are different installers available? - I also don't like the colours of the new version btw. - I guess it's time for a change. ;)

18. zfactor

yeah the first time i got it from softpedia this time from foxit directly and nothing about the ask bar during install. im wondering if its in the downloads from third party places now?

19. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I'm considering going back to Adobe if this is the new path of FoxIt. Filehippo is a reliable source, so I doubt that they tampered with the installation file.

20. RuyLopez

RuyLopez Registered Member

I got the toolbar with a direct download from the Foxit site this morning.

When I installed it, it trashed my desktop--moved every icon to the left side. I did not investigate what else might have happened during the install--just reverted to a prior snapshot.

21. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

It's very rare that I need to view PDF's now (i.e., while still online and using browser) ... I normally just download and save them, then view them later with Tracker's PDF-XChange Viewer. It's fairly "lean and mean" and quick, but does offer a good number of viewing options.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm glad I uninstalled Foxit a while ago & installed PDF-XChange (I only used Foxit for a few weeks anyway) but even PDF-XChange had a toolbar download with one of its releases a few months ago. It didn't install on my Win 7 64 bit PC but I got it on my notebook on IE Eight). It uninstalled easily enough & Tracker said it was a mistake. I just hope this Foxit fandango doesn't give them ideas. :eek:

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never used Foxit, and never will at this rate.

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

25. guest

guest Guest

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me, especially not in the long run. - We avoided Adobe not only because it was a while ago slow as hell but had also security holes all the time. - And Foxit needs to get fixed also if I am not wrong. So using an old version might be a risk the older it gets. Because of that I would suggest regarding PDF-reader-programs to always use the latest version with the latest exploit fixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.