How to Exclude a directory from the backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by lsd, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsd

lsd Registered Member

Just installed Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10.0.15.12802 (19.01.11 ) (Advanced) Free and can get it to creat a full backup.

What I'd like to do is backup the disk [noparse](only have one C:)[/noparse] but exclude one directory (C:\Old Disk). The "Old Disk" dir has 60GB of data thats already backed up and the rest of C drive is only around 10GB.

I've added a few Copy/Exclude filters "C:\Old Disk", "c:\Old Disk\*.*" and check that they are ticked (enabled) but each time I run the back up, I get informed that 70Gb of data will be archived.

Also as I'm testing Paragon, I assume if I backup to the C: drive (C:\Disk Image), Paragon won't try to archive "the archive" it's already trying to make ?

Anyone help ?

Leigh

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Tools>Settings>Copy and Backup Options>Tick Skip Archives ( normally already ticked by default)

3. tjkaz

tjkaz Registered Member

Hello,
    I'm new to this SW and have the exact (almost) same question. I'm trying to exclude a folder that has about 1TB of video files. I have added the folder as a filter and tried *.*, etc. but each time when I try to do a backup, the SW includes all the disk data (including my excluded folder) even though it says in the details that it's excluding the folder that I want to exclude.
    I must be doing something wrong, as the limited instructions imply that files and/or folders can be excluded from backups or disk images.
    I'm using the same version that the OP stated.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Tom

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It is supposed to exclude the folder, but the nature of image backups means there will be a folder of the same name in the image - it shouldn't contain the data though.

5. tjkaz

tjkaz Registered Member

Thanks! That's what I thought, but when it's performing the backup/image, the computed backup size clearly includes the contents of the folder that I don't want included. The HD has about 1.1 TB and all I want to back up is 0.1TB (100GB). When I perform the backup it says that the backup size is about 1.1TB. I tried to let it run for a bit to see what it would do, but after 5 mins or so, the counter said that the backup would take about 17 hours (and was increasing).
    So to get this straight, all I have to do is select a folder that I want to exclude and the program will exclude it and all the subfolders and files under it? And, check the checkbox of course. If so, that's what I've been doing.

6. GaussTek

GaussTek Registered Member

I was just using this and I have exactly the same 'problem'.

My disk is 320GB and in which I have about ~250 GB of Data. Around ~200 GB of these is from media and installed PC games I want to exclude , so I assumed my image size would be around ~50GB.

I selected these folders from the exclude options, however the estimated backup size was 170GB. I said, OK and I let it run it.... (the operation log shows the excluded folders I selected). It's still running, and I'm around 48%, BUT the operation statics section says:

Data processed: 123 GB
    Data to process: 253 GB

So it seems it's doing a FULL backup, and also seems it's not even considering the initial estimated backup file size.

It is supposed to to something at the end, it's just a bug or we are doing something wrong? Still 4 hours remain, so I don't know if I need to cancel it or what. It seems I will let it run and see how the backup size ends.

Cheers.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.