It's the Chromebook

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

On sale from June 15.

Hmmm ....

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I dunno squire ... 250 nicker for a Notebook ain't bad ... ;)

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have had 2 chrome notebooks for a few months now since right after christmas the cr-48. i like them but they are limited unless you strictly use the cloud things like google docs etc.. otherwise not a whole lot you can do with the chrome os imo. i actually use one for chrome os and run windows 7 on the other dual booting with ubuntu. i upgraded the ssd in them to the 80gb intel's and added a broadcomm add on gpu on the windows one..

i do use the chrome os a decent amount but only for certain things i dont use it for any sensitive business info etc just because i dont trust the cloud yet for that type of stuff.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not for me, the OS is far too limiting, basically just a browser and its settings. I've tried it before, could be one of the worst Linux distro ever.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But it's good for those that don't have much money, and are just going to surf every now and then. It's go for the daily stuff.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Why would someone want a laptop with just a web browser and file manager?

i dont know about the rest of the world but in the uk the internet isnt reliable enough for chromebook. if you cant get the internet the chromebook is about as useful as a paperweight.

You can do sometimes offline on the chromebook but the 16gb ssd kinda shows that you arent meant to do much offline.

Im sure somepeople will like chromebook but i hate the idea.

I like proper operating systems with local data and local programs.

9. Daveski17

I don't know about that, I find that British Telecom are pretty reliable. I think that you are right about the shortcomings of the Chromebook though. IMHO it will be a great success as a second computer for many people. Possibly for people with desktops who want a cheaper Notebook/Laptop for just basic surfing & watching the BBC iPlayer LOL! ;)

10. Daveski17

"The price is wrong. Every used-car salesman with a shiny suit and a bad toupee knows the first rule of selling a clunker: focus on the monthly payment and don’t talk about the total price. That’s exactly what the Googlers have done. That $28 a month price tag sounds OK until you realize it comes with a three-year commitment. The total for those 36 monthly payments is $1,008. For a glorified netbook?

That same grand will buy you one hellacious PC or even a MacBook,"

I'm not so sure about that, & I don't know about how it will be priced in my country, but the last time I had a look at the cheapest Macbooks they were around £700-800 (US $1100 - $1200). Around 260 quid a unit to buy looks good to me, even for a Notebook that basically just runs the Chrome browser. Admittedly, about £620 looks quite steep at first glance, but it is over three years.

"Dare I say it? I think for the first time in decades, Microsoft is facing real trouble on the desktop. Seem unlikely? Remember when everyone used Internet Explorer and then along came Firefox? I see the desktop market at a similar tipping point."

Hmmmmm .... possibly ... it's good to see the hegemony challenged though.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

home connections are generally quite reliable but the chromebook is designed to be used anywhere and there are many locations without reliable 3g coverage.

12. Daveski17

Yes, sorry, I wasn't thinking 'mobile' enough. We definitely need to catch up there I think.

13. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

For anyone on a forum about securities/ a forum about computers the OS is probably too limiting. For the vast majority of users it does everything they'll ever need.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Why two?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/17/google-chrome-android/

This article looks at what may seem to be a duplication of effort by Google, at least as perceived by outsiders.

15. Daveski17

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

17. Daveski17

It does look very interesting, doesn't it?

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ok, I thought this was a joke at first, the picture looked like some kind of "futuristic" bread bin. I think the picture doesn't doesn't do it justice without something next to it to compare the size.

19. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Agree. http://xi3.org/product_gallery.php

20. Hungry Man

I don't see much appeal to a desktop version.

21. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Cloud computing is nice and all, but I don't see any benefits of forcing clients to use it. The idea that you are always connected has flaws, and the flaws apply to both customers and companies. Maybe the biggest problem is the fact that your files aren't there in your computer, they're "somewhere else".

And who wants a computer with very limited functionality anyway? I'm typing on a netbook at the moment and while this is for net usage mainly, I also sometimes use this as my main computer and then I need to run Adobe Connect Pro for group meetings, Microsoft Office for Access applications, development tools for coding... I couldn't do that with Chromebook.

22. Hungry Man

The idea is that you CAN do those things on it. Google docs for office, cloud IDE's for programming. Not everything has a cloud alternative and not all cloud alternative are perfect but conceptually there's no reason you can't do nearly everything on a Chromenotebook that Windows can do.

23. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Is anyone here going to get one? I'm highly considering picking one up off of Amazon.com

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Web browsers are free so no.

If I wanted to use Chromium I'd load up the firefox based browser on my motherboard ROM, it boots just as fast.

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I hear you but I'm just curious about it. Also sounds interesting that it does not need any av. Like to see how they handle that one as well. I dunno, maybe its just more of a toy but Id like to check one out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.