How resource hungry is OA 5?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tempnexus, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

Ok here is my current setup:
    Win7 64bit
    Nod32 v4
    Mamutu
    Z antikeylogger
    Threatfire

I also have a lifetime lic for Outpost but I am willing to try another firewall while outpost works out it's wow bug (currently outpost is not installed).

So I am thinking of trying out OA 5, however how heavy on resources is OA? Do you notice system slowdown? A popup deluge? Mind you I am also a gamer so I would hate to see popups while playing a game.

2. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

Don't you think you have too many real time protection programs?You can remove Threatfire because it is similar as Mamutu as a behavior blocker.In my opinion,OA is really quite a resource hunger.Why don't you try it yourself and see?

3. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

That's the thing I dno't want to pollute the system more then I should. :)

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm using OA5, and it does not seem to be heavy on my machines at all, but then again i'm running ICore 7's. Just looking at the memory alone does not indicate if a program is heavy on resources, but I know this is important to some people so here is a screen shot of the memory being used on my system by OA. This does not mean it will be the same for other user's machines. Also, running mamutu, and Threatfire together is a bit much. They are both pure behavior blockers. I would recommend you choose one or the other. Running both of those with OA may be too much or cause problems. Mamutu is still maintained, and has been tested with OA so I would recommend it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Related question to people who experienced a slowdown problem with OA v4 or v4.5: Does OA v5 eliminate the slowdown issue?

Clarification: I have a license for Online Armor Premium, but I uninstalled it because it was causing many programs (maybe everything, especially browsers) to launch and function slower. This happened on both my desktop and laptop which both run Win XP Pro with SP3. Note that OA 4.5 and older were not resource hungry in terms of CPU or ram usage (for me)... it used little resources, but slowed everything down anyway... I now use PrivateFirewall, and with it Windows XP runs almost as if there's no firewall, except of course when pop-ups (HIPS) happen (the pop-ups are annoying when installing or uninstalling programs, but I assume that's a necessary evil with HIPS...)

6. Cutting_Edgetech

It has been the opposite for me. OA 4.5 seemed to be the heaviest, and most resource hungy of all builds for me. V5 runs much smoother, and my machines run noticeably faster with V5. I started using OA with V2, and I can say i'm very satisfied with V5.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

me too OA is very light and is not heavy on my system:thumb:
    i am new to use it but i am very impress how fast this software is;)

8. blasev

blasev Registered Member

it's light on my system

memory usage : 20mb total
    cpu usage while writing this : below 1%
    total I/O read and write : 800.000

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

OA version 5 is much lighter and better than v4.5 even on old systems (personal experience).

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Likewise, its running very smooth here. Much smoother and lighter than version 4.5...:thumb:

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You should go right ahead and try it, and you'll probably be glad that you did.
    5.0 feels faster to me than 4.5.
    A pop up deluge? Not at all. And the ones that I do get, I'm glad to see, cause I know the HIPS is working behind the scenes for me.
    OA5.0 is exceptional software. :thumb:

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I was not surprised that there was a lot of problems reported with 4.5 because it was then that they made the big leap to 64bit compatibility. I just expected it would take some time to get all the bugs ironed out, and get everything tuned up well. From my experience it just seems to be that way with most software when making the transition to 64bit compatibility. I've been using OA since V2, and I did believe V4.5 was heavy on resources, and I had problems with installation mode then because of repeated pop ups. I knew it would just take some time to get everything running like it was before on 32bit OS's. They have everything running light, and very smooth now. Any problems I personally experienced with V4.5 was taken care of a long time ago. I have not ever used a better firewall than V5. I think you will be very happy if you just give OA a try!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  13. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I have really serious issues with OA 5. oaserv.exe uses high cpu when utorrent is active. And some issues with Chrome you can see there -http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=298279-

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm using Utorrent with OA, and i'm not having any issues. I wonder if it could be something else unique to your setup causing problems.

15. blasev

blasev Registered Member

:thumb:
    while i write this, I'm using utorrent, all work just fine without any excessive cpu/mem usage

16. pandorax

I used the wizard option when installing, and made trust some programs that OA didn't recognize. I don't think that i made a mistake.

Here is my message that i sent to emsisoft forums;

I don't know, maybe you use OA on desktop computer and didn't realise?

Cpu using was %1-%2 while i was using Comodo IS.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  17. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I use laptop.
    while using utorrent, it never reach 1%, always below 0.25% (this is for all : oacat+oahlp+oasrv+oaui)
    but to be frank I did use first generation intel i7 ;)
    so even with that calculation, the usage is still extremely low
    what did u use?

18. pandorax

How did you install it? Did you use wizard option too? Or did you use trust everything option? I really don't know what is wrong with OA. And Do you use Chrome browser, because i have also some issues with Chrome + OA. (I use chrome without sandbox, not sandbox issue)

I have Amd x2 Turion but i don't think it is the main point.

19. blasev

blasev Registered Member

ps : I've edited my post :)

I use wizard and I trust everything , since OA if one of the first installed on my fresh windows 7

didn't use chrome browser long enough to tell u about it, but on that rare occasion I didn't have any problem what so ever. I use kees guide to use chrome with safe admin. while putting it on sandboxie :D

utorrent is installed with OA install mode

20. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

I love OA since version 5 and I am using Chrome with sero issues at all. It is very lightweight compared to the security it brings with it. I don't feel it at all on my i5 650.

21. pandorax

Did you install it on fresh installed Windows?

22. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

No, before I had Outpost running, the system is one year old, I tried several AVs and security programs without fresh installed Windows.

Everything is fine till now. ;)

23. pandorax

And i have Comodo IS now, everything is OK ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.