windows hangs on hotcore3.sys

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by johnpolakow, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnpolakow

johnpolakow Registered Member

Hi I am having problems with windows loading. I have xp sp3. I previously restored this drive from an image using paragon backup about 3 weeks ago. Never had a problem since until today. While working I got BSOD and then the computer quickly rebooted. I was unable to note the BSOD error. Now windows won't boot, when I try to boot into safe mode it hangs on hotcore3.sys. So I went into the recovery console and deleted hotcore3.sys as well as disabling the service at startup. Still wouldn't boot. So I created a paragon recovery cd and ran the "update mbr" to rewrite the mbr. Still hangs. I am frustrated. What should I do BESIDES wiping the whole drive and starting over? Thanks, John

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

@johnpolakow

Important!
    First of all, please backup your current system state from Paragon Recovery CD (Linux-based or WinPE-based)

Then:

Boot into Recovery Mode

1 Insert the Windows CD into the CD drive and reboot the PC. Watch the boot process carefully.
    2 Press "R" when you see "Welcome to Setup" appear on the screen. Windows will prompt you for a password.
    3 Type the administrator password if you have one. Otherwise, leave it blank.
    4 Press "Enter" to display the Windows command line.

Edit the Registry

1 Type "Reg /?" without the quotation marks to view a list of available registry commands. These commands include "Add," "Delete," "Query," "Copy" and "Save."
    2 Type "Reg /? Delete /?" without the quotation marks and press "Enter." Windows will list the syntax of the "Delete" command.
    3 Type "REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}\UpperFilters /v hotcore3" without the quotation marks and press "Enter."

Type "Exit" when you are done, and press "Enter" to close the recovery console.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.