Online Armor 5 - final release!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by adam993, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

-http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/-
    Good job, Emsisoft :thumb:

What is new?

File & Registry Shield
    Users can create rules to limit the access of certain application groups to specified files, folders or registry keys. Due to the advanced nature of this feature it is only available in "Advanced Mode".
    Completely reworked GUI
    Online Armor 5.0 was adapted to the design of the other Emsisoft products and shows a lot of usage simplifications. Additionally the readability of alert windows has been optimized.
    IE Addons removed
    The IE Addons menu was removed. BHOs are really just another autorun and are now handled as such.
    Content filtering in Web Shield removed
    The content filtering aspects of the Web Shield were removed. They were introduced at a time when essentially all browsers lacked control over active content or your private information. Times have changed though and most modern browsers actually do a far superior job now than the Web Shield ever did. Therefore we decided to remove the content filtering from the Web Shield which will result in better compatibility and network performance.
    Improved self protection on x86 and x64 systems.
    Over 400 detail improvements and bug fixes based on user and tester feedback.

How to upgrade from a previous version to Online Armor 5.0?
    Just run the setup and choose to upgrade your installation. In addition we will start distributing Online Armor 5.0 via online update within the next week.

Known problems:
    The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
    Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.
    Certain themeing and desktop applications like RocketDock and WindowBlinds can cause GUI locks and crashes. We recommend to exclude the OAUI.EXE process in those applications.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hello Adam...nice to see you :) Thanks for info...of course, already downloaded :)

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, still haven't fixed that one; its been over a year now. :doubt:

Acadia

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Over a year? o_O

Well, I will not exclude my only used browser from firewall, sorry. Next test maybe when v6 comes out, it seems. :cautious:

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

can anyone post a screenshot of what the new alerts look like?

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes.
    http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=12744
    http://support.online-armor.com/showthread.php?t=14649
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286666

Remember, this is only if you are using Chrome inside of Sandboxie. If you are using Win7 the folder to exclude in Online Armor is c:\users\[yourusername]\Appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\Application

Acadia

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Same sentiments here too...tsk. A year of wait...

I suppose the slow boot will still suffice also because Chrome is still also there....? I remember at the old OA forums that they point that out (because you have Chrome you are prone to slow boot something like that....I do not remember it was actually was solved also before...)

Thinking...thinking....poof...

8. doktornotor

Yes, using Sandboxie (see signature) plus Iron (Chromium based). As said, excluding a browser from firewall is not really even a good workaround, let alone solution. I was completely unaware of the issue and frankly I have never seen such a flood of nonsensical popups with any firewall telling me how "application has changed" several times every second. No idea what is going there but there must be something seriously wrong with this.

9. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

Anyone? What happens if instead of using Sandboxie, you use Avast 6.1's sandbox option with OA?

10. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Any changes from the last RC?

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can also see the thread that I started recently over at the new OA support forum and Emsisoft's reply, doesn't give one much confidence in a fix: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3963-year-old-bug/

All I know is that I don't have this problem in Outpost firewall; everything just works, but I prefer OA because it is a bit easier to use IMO.

Acadia

12. doktornotor

Have you tried posting this @ SBIE forums? Maybe it can be worked around/fixed the other way round, since yeah - the above does not really add any confidence to me. :doubt:

13. 031

031 Registered Member

Working smoothly and the new gui is nice.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

The only problem I have with OA at the moment is it blocks all internet access to a machine when you are not around to respond to a request made by an application requesting to access the internet. If an application request outbound access to the internet it blocks all internet traffic to that machine until that request is responded to. I have been informed they are working on changing OA's response to only block internet access to the requesting application in an upcoming version. Everything else is running very smooth. No other problems here what so ever. They have added some really good additions like file, and registry protection. My favorite addition is they have added automatic blocking of suspicious file extensions. This feature is essentially an AE. It blocks file spoofing like double extensions in the following combinations below. avi|bmp|wmv|doc|docx|xls|xlsx|torrent|gif|jpg|tiff|pdf|zip|rar|mp3|mp4|jpeg
    bat|cmd|com|exe|hlp|hta|lnk|js|jse|pif|scr|shb|shs|vb|vbe|vbs|ws|wsf

I can't see myself using anything other than OA on my desktops. It offers everything I need, and if I don't want to use one of the features then I have the option of turning any of them off. Its running light on my machines. Good Job Emsisoft!!:thumb:

15. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

Yea, the same here. There is actually no HIPS protecting x64 as good as OA.
    I like it very much and it is running very smooth.
    I never had a lot of popups. You just have to shut down your own paranoidity.
    If you trust a program then use install mode for it.

Then you won't get a lot of popups.

16. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

And it seems they still haven't fixed the activity icon not staying visible in the notification area of windows 7...this is quite old too...

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

This can be more of a Windows 7 issue than an OA one, it's quite a common occurrence in Win 7 if you google it.

18. tolis14

tolis14 Registered Member

I have tried Comodo, ZA, PC Tools and several other firewalls and never had this issue. So, at best, it's more likely a OA / Windows 7 issue rather a Windows 7 issue alone.

19. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

This can be solved by checking "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar".:)

20. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

these firewalls don't have an activity icon (like OA);).

21. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Are there any test around?

22. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Just to report

After 8 hours of usage on win 7 64bit

The IO is reduced again compared to RC3. Much less than v4.5

No bug to report so far, the icon/notification thingy didn't happen to me

It works great with sandboxie and FF 4 ;)

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Same experience here since yesterday morning but with XP Pro SP3. :thumb:

24. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

In OA the firewall activity is a different icon with the "shield icon" of OA. Comodo's activity is with it's icon.

Attached Files:

25. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Same with Zonealarm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.