Online Armor purchased with toshiba redemption

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Firstly if this the wrong section, then, go ahead and move it

The issue is this, When i bought my Toshiba A660 I filled out the redemption form,and some weeks later Toshiba sent me a Pre-Paid Mastercard of $100. I used part of it to purchase Online Armor and I got a deal of $49.95 for 2 years, and received an Invoice from the Tall Emu Team confirming this, quite good,as Emsisoft who now own Online Armor wanted $70 per 2 years. Now here comes the tricky bit :cautious: because of Online Armors persistant refusal to remember my actions, and dozens of popups per program,and installation of programs, I decided to ditch it, and request a refund, which you would think is pretty straight forward :) but think again people :ninja: The first thing is I get a email notifiying me of my refund request, from PayPal who debited the Toshiba Mastercard, Next i get an email from Mike Nash, who is Tall Emu, but tells me he sees a purchase on their system, but isnt sure how i purchased it from them, because they sold Online Armor to Emsisoft :doubt: Well Mike, If you dont know how you recieved the Money, I'm buggered if I do :blink: but the thing is you did, so you must still be taking payments for it. Now because the Toshiba Mastercard is a once funds spent, no recharge to card policy, I'm having a Hell of a time getting my $49.95 back, and Citibank who issued the card keep refering me back to Toshiba, who refer me back to Citibank. It seems nobody wants to take responsibility was this hellatious Balls Up! but somewhere down the track someones got my $49.95, and I know it isnt me! In short I discourage other members from persuing the path that I ventured to pay for software, you may just be on the same river as me without the Illusive paddle.

2. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

I watched this specific case in our support system. To be honest, first it was a big mystery where and how you were able to buy Online Armor using an old Tall Emu order form which should be already disabled for more than half a year. But we've finally found that old file on the server and removed it.

As you asked for a refund via PayPal, Mike executed it instantly. That means the money should be back on your PayPal account right now. However, there is no way for us or Tall Emu to track the refund further. PayPal is our payment processing partner and is responsible for further actions. We don't even get an information how you put the money into the PayPal system. If your card doesn't support refunds, it's a bug in their system.

However, usually it's easy to set up a PayPal account using the same email you used for the purchase, in order to see the credit. Then you can decide whether you want to get it back by wire transfer to spend it for anything else.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No money in the PayPal Account, PayPal refuse to take responsibility, and insist the refund was credited back to the card. CitiBank however state that the refund of $49.95 is an incorrect amount, I offered to forward them a copy of the invoice, which they declined. being that i no longer have the card as i discarded it when it reached a zero balance, I can get no further with this issue, as neither PayPal or Citibank will come to the party

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Today it has come alarmingly apparent, that neither Paypal or Citibank will accept responsibility to refund back to a Pre-Paid Redemption/ Gift Mastercard, they consider once the money has been spent the card becomes obsolete, and is painfully obvious I will never see the refund. Therefore I may as well continue with the product, and hope that the next release fixes some issues. I hold no blame on any kind on Tall Emu or Emsisoft for this mix up. The responsibility is on the Merchants in question who took the Payments (i.e PayPal & Citibank)

5. gregd

gregd Registered Member

So if this is less about Online Armor and more about Paypal/Citibank, I'm trying to figure out why you put Online Armor in your title.

Tall Emu and Emsisoft did exactly what a reputable company would do in this situation, they refunded your money in a manner that was acceptable to you.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Are you without understanding or something? I sugest you read the whole complaint again and point out to me exactly where I said I recieved the refund? because unless I'm completely blind!:cool: I dont see where I did.

I specifically told Tall Emu, that the Card used for the purchase was no longer valid,and to refund to a card (Mastercard) That I use daily, but they refused. so go figure :rolleyes: Oh and why the heck was that link that Emsisoft mentioned still active when It shouldn't have been?

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It probably is extremely difficult to since they don't even know about which card. They just get the payment with a transaction id. All they can do is go back and request a refund on that transaction. If you used a card that went dead after use then that was your bad. They can't refund to a dead card.

Besides that Tallemu was willing to do anything is above and beyond. Most software company's that offer 30day free trials, generally don't do refunds at all.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Pete,

How true!

One can buy anything through PayPal through their Credit Card. Don't pay the Credit Card and at the same time ask the Merchant to refund the money to them, thus pocketing the money.

There has to be some kind of controls in the system to avoid abuse!

Not only Tallmenu refunded the money which is above and beyond, now the same guy wants to use the programs after being refunded through proper channels.

Best regards,

KOR!

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Am I the only 1 here that can actually read? or can you read and just take what you read in a reply for granted/

1: If (You) were the one to have this problem, which would you opt to do if you DID NOT! (I'll repeat this in bold so you dont miss what I say, DID NOT!/ HAVE NOT! recieved any refund regardless of whether it was refunded through proper channels or not, either way its not in my pocket or Paypal account) would you 2: uninstall and forget about it, or 3: accept your not getting a refund and keep it.

So back off! with the comment want my cake and eat it remark! unless you can actually physically prove thats the case, (which it isnt

Tall Emu could all so easily sent an email to Paypal saying something like, " A customer purchased with a Pre-Paid card that he/she no longer has access to, as it is a non rechargable item, Please could you reimburse the funds to His/Her Card they have provided" But Apparently that was never considered

In any event I'm getting bored with defending myself as its clear you've made your perception.

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Pete, Mike Nash got an email from Paypal saying I had requested a refund, and that I had mentioned that I used a Gift Card/Mastercard that could not be recharged. Mike emailed me and said their system could only refund back to Paypal to the card used to purchase. Now seeing I had already told Paypal this, wouldnt you think they would work something out? Anyway there was a 30 day Money back Guarentee no questions asked Segment on the Online Armor site. The whole argument here is that Either Tall Emu/ or Paypal have or had the oppertunity to work around this, and neither have done so. I could have not spent the whole $100 on the card, but even then, they still wont recharge it, The Cards not dead, its just unable to have money deposited to it. Anyway I spoke with Toshiba today, as noone else is listening, and they are looking into crediting my Bank Account, so its looking brighter :) As in the original first post, I mentioned that the reason for my thread was to Alert anyone else who may decide to buy software the same way If they too Recieve a Redemption card from somewhere where they bought a computer or other items, as they may experience the same problem if they ask for a refund also.

11. aladdin

Your problem is that you don't read and keep on telling people they don't read.

1. It is the policy of Credit Card Companies, that refunds should be only through credit cards, if paid through credit cards. It is to avoid people buying things on credit cards, and then getting cash refunds from the merchants.

2. It is the policy of PayPal that if the money is paid through PayPal, then it should be refunded to PayPal. The merchants don't know how PayPal was paid in the first place by the customer.

3. Read number 1 above again. Once PayPal receives the refund, they have no choice but to comply with number 1 above.

Be a good reader,

KOR!

12. fax

fax Registered Member

No offense intended but I think you did three basic mistakes....

1) Buying from an old hidden link (probably found with Google or in your browser favourites?)
    2) Using pre-paid card when you know (?) you can't get re-funded
    3) Ask for a refund

Anyway thanks for posting, this can be useful to other users that wants to buy software with your same setup...

Out of curiosity, did you take advantage of the OA 30 days trial? And if yes, how can it be it worked fine for a full month? Have you made any specific changes to your PC setup?

13. gregd

gregd Registered Member

There are a couple of holes in your story.

In Paypal there is a place to show all activity for, let's say, the last three months. It will show any refunds there. Are you saying that there isn't a refund showing there from Tall Emu?

As an aside, a lot of those redemption cards ARE in fact reloadable. I'm willing to bet, the card was reloaded and you're simply out the money cause YOU tossed the card.

14. aladdin

Also, the card has to be registered in PayPal Account and verified by PayPal, before it can be used.

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok maybe I should have wrote an entire essay of every aspect of this problem,maybe then it would be clearer, but since you pointed out the above I'll Answer that.

As first mentioned I got this card as a redemption offer from Toshiba, (Buy a Laptop, they give you a $100 Gift Card/ Mastercard) I had no Idea when I used it that I couldn't add money too it, hence the refund not being Applied (Maybe I should have read through the 6 pages of terms and conditions of it, but be honest, who does that? a few maybe but not many) I tried to buy Online Armor with My Personal Mastercard Debit Card that I use for online shopping, but as it had insufficient funds, it was declined,and I received an email from the Merchant advising me of this,and was given a link with an offer of 25% off, so when I recieved my Toshiba Gift/ Mastercard I used it, and the link to the offer to buy Online Armor with. (And no I didnt use the trial as I accepted posts here that it is/ was/ still is a Great firewall. OK, when I filled in the online details and click buy, It was accepted, and on the verification it said, It looks like you have a Paypal account, why not next time use Paypal. I had completely forgotten I had a Paypal account as it was years ago that I even used it with a different email ( 4 years at least) and it was with an Old Mastercard that I had with another bank anyway, that I am no longer a customer of. I had no idea that somehow The Toshiba Gift/ Mastercard had been linked to that account (maybe because of my name/ address/ etc being the same) When I made the Online Armor purchase I added my now current email address in the required section of the online order, And now it appears I have 2 Paypal accounts, the old one with the old email, and the new one with the address I gave making this purchase. I've phone Paypal many times and they tell me the purchase has been linked with the old email account, and the new(recently done, and for some reason linked to the email I provided on the online order) showed no activity, Your guess is as good as mine as to why, a glitch in the system I suppose, but I cant clarrify that. Also I did not register the Toshiba Gift/ Mastercard with paypal either,as as far as I was aware I want using paypal to Pay through, but it looks like if you dont, they intercept that you havent,and add a sugestion to do so on your invoice (which is what happened to me) Now because I actually didnt use Paypal they said to me i needed to go through my Card issuer, and Citibank (who provides these cards) says the amount in question is different from what I say ($49.95) yet my Invoice from Tall Emu clearly states $49.95 If there are some international charges deducted, I am unaware of them,because Citibank wont tell me what amount they say it is, and tell me because the amount shows different to what you say, we cannot identify you,and give me a Toshiba number to call (Which I have, and they say they have to get in touch with Citibank) My frustration to this is that I used a method I thought would be plain and simple, obviously not, I regret not using my Personal Card, as I'm sure I would have had the refund weeks ago, since it was 18 January 2011 when I did the online transaction and requested the refund on January 29 2011 well within the 30 day money back guarentee period. Why this mixup with Paypal/Tall Emu/Citibank/Toshiba happened, I have no idea the only thing now is, I dont have the money back regardless whether it was refunded promptly or not, Its in Cyberspace somewhere, and nobody seems to know where :doubt: If I ever buy something else that offers a rebate in this method, I'm going to decline it,as its too much like hard work,and a headache to say the least, especially when you call the party in question,and you get through to some overseas call center and a person who cant understand a word your saying anyway :ninja: I hope you get a clearer picture of what the entire rigmarole I have had to go through, and still be left in the dark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.