I'm going to build the worlds fastest, powerfullest desktop using this:..

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DVD+R, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Eat your heart out! or Eat the Rich! whichever you prefer, but this'll be the megabeast :D

Intel Core i7-980X EXTREME CPU, LGA1366 SIX-CORE 3.33 GHz, 6.4 GT/sec QPI, 8MB Cache, Socket

Thermaltake Pro Water 880i water cooling unit (supports LGA1366)

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window, No PSU, 3x140mm fans, ATX/m ATX/EATX, Aluminum Faceplate, Steel Structure, Dimension 24" (H) x 24" (L) x 9" (W) - (609mm X 609mm X 229 mm) Power Supply ATX (not included)

Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Sound Card World's ONLY 100% BD Quality Audio , Full-HD HDMI v1.3a compliance

LG BH08LS20 BLK BluRay Burner Retail Box, 8xBD-R Read/Write, HD-DVD, 16xDVD+-R Read/Write, SATA, Lightscribe, Silent Play

Sapphire HD6970 2G GDDR5 PCI-E with Free Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam Game, Bundle with 1.8M HDMI Hi Speed Extension Cable

Corsair Force Series 240GB SSD2.5" MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec, SATA II, SandForce controller, TRIM function

Seagate Cheetah 600Gb 15K 3.5" SAS Hard Drive ( ST3600057SS )

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 XL-ATX motherboard, Intel X58+ICH10R, QPI 6.4GT/s, DDR3 2200, PCI-Ex16, SATA3, USB 3.0, RAID, IDE, 2xGbE LAN, 8ch audio, 2oc PCB, XL-ATX (EOL)

Kingston KVR1333D3N9K3/12G 12GB KIT 1333MHz(PC3-10600) DDR3 NON-ECC CL9 240pin LONG DIMM

SilverStone ST1500 Power Supply (1600W peak power), Black, 135mm fan, 100% Modular cables, 4 x PCI-E 8-pin & 8 x PCI-E 6-pin connectors, >80% Efficiency, Nose level: 19dBA

I had a little luck at the racetrack, so I'll be getting this by the weekend :cool: dont you just love the horses :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Impressive computer indeed!

I was curious to see which components the Thermaltake Pro Water 880i uses, as someone that used a Thermaltake water cooling kit myself a few years ago ... and I see danger!

_dsc0053.jpg

That is the same pump/reservoir I had with my cooling kit. The reservoir is known to crack - and of course leak. I found the pump vibrated excessively and that was probably what caused the cracking (just my experience). I'm not sure how those pump/reservoir combo's perform now, this was about 3 years ago, but I'd take a look into this before I'd buy Thermaltake water cooling products right now.

This is (below) the pump/reservoir combo I've had for the last 3 years.

ddcresbig.jpg

Swiftech MCP355 or a Laing DDC 18w pump - you can't go wrong with Swifttech or Laing pumps they're rock solid performers. The reservoir I use is XSPC Acrylic Tank Reservoir but you can use various other reservoir combos with those pumps. The vibration from the pump is negligible and reservoir is much thicker than the Thermaltake one. This combo has been running constantly for 3 years with no problems (touch wood). I do know of people that have been running the Swifttech/Laing pumps for over 5 years. They are without doubt the best available.

Anyway this is just a heads up. Me personally I wouldn't touch Thermaltake. They didn't even answer my emails when I tried to get a replacement for the cracked reservoir. Overall, I'd definitely recommend avoiding watercooling kits and build your own custom loop. These cheaper kits don't have the build quality, IMO. That's not to say all kits are rubbish, but Thermaltake's reputation isn't good. For instance, they were using aluminum inside the chanels of the radiators back when I looked into this (will cause galvanic corrosion with copper blocks).

You end up paying more for a custom loop by using the best components, but you'll get more peace of mind in the end. Having water spills inside your pc is a nightmare, trust me!

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Dude, there is no way that is going to be the powerfullest. My commodore 64 is the mostest most powerfullest. Sheesh, I thought you would know your hardware ;) :D

Too bad you couldn't have waited for a few months to see how sandybridge matures, thats what I would have done.

Sul.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Insane machine man!

Anyways, IMO you should do crossfire or lower your CPU specs a bit, you got a LOT OF POWER from that CPU, you better run multiple GPU's ;)

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

WAY better water cooling options out there... look up the rasa kit WAY better all the way around

6. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Mine goes to '11'.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Why only one graphic card?

More hard disks and burners needed.

Shame there's no dual socket for i7, you could then go for smp kernel and Linux.

I was also considering building a rig with the same processor, nvidia card, 24gb ram, 4x2tb disks, and some more cool accessories and whatnot, got to 3,000 dollars price. But then I realized I got too many machines anyhow ...

Mrk

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha LOL
    Really nice for you maaaaan! :D

You know, donations are always welcome here :rolleyes: HAHAHAHA

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sell the older ones, and there you got money for a new one:thumb:

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

because its a 2GB DDR5 they dont come faster than this at the moment, another 2GB DDR5 would push to another universe lol...

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

We meant, that you can Crossfire more cards (2 cards or more) because you have LOTS and LOTS of CPU power, if you play at high res you should add 1 card more IMO :D
    So you can really push that CPU hard at gaming :p, with 1 card the GPU would be a bottleneck at high res or if you want you can stay with that one and sell it when it gets old to replace it with the next gen one which is a great idea to save money IMO :D
    (If you got enough funds of course, but since you're building a super machine, why not :rolleyes:)

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You could RAID0 multiple SSD's as well. Then it might become the world's fastest.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now RAID SSD really sound expensive LOL :eek: HAHAHAHA
    Even 1 is expensive for most users standards, i could imagine RAID :rolleyes:

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Why only 2 graphics cards??

How about 3 HD6970 2G GDDR5's ??

Check out the TweakTown's Aussie Flood Appeal Dream System - Donate and Win!

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/18616...appeal_dream_system_donate_and_win/index.html

BTW It's time to upgrade your processor :)

Intel Launches Core i7 990X Extreme Edition CPU

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_launches_core_i7_990x_extreme_edition_cpu

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL 3 HD6970?
    Hahahaha, now we are really pushing it too much xD

Realistically 1 is more than enough to play ALL CURRENT GAMES MAXED at a reasonable resolution. :D

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, me wants :p

18. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

One thing is for sure - you are overpaying :) Also not sure is your watercooling good choice and I would wait for i7 2600k and overclock it. But I don't want to demotivate you - you will have good rig.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

How do you know he is overpaying, i can't find where he stated a price :D

20. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Well i wont read the specs or il thrash my low end pc :(

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha most people here have avg PC's :D

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thats right! when did I say how much it'll cost? I purposely didnt specify a price because some goon is going to state the obvious like I paid too much :cautious: Maybe he wants me to buy one for him as well :p

23. c2d

c2d Registered Member

I've always liked you ;)
    Hope you enjoy your new machine :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

One or two mdifications to the end product, but the System was complete yesterday,and is now up and running :cool:

25. sam4400

sam4400 Registered Member

Hey, just wondering how the hell you managed to get the UD9 into the 800D. You didnt mention any modding??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.