B&R 2010FA Recovery Media Builder

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by wptski, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wptski

wptski Registered Member

After reading another thread about the RMB CD not working, I tried my CD for the first time on my W7 Pro-64 machine.

It booted to the first screen with Normal Mode highlighted and counting the ten seconds down to launch. It hit zero and stopped there, actually locked up.

I created the CD using the typical or default setting. Answers in the other thread suggested that it may not work on all systems but that's something one should know before the time comes to use it. Test your method!!!!

EDIT:
    There is only one file on the RMB CD labeled "desktop". From what I've read, shouldn't there be more folders/files? I just purchased NDM2011S which has a file to create a WinPE disk which also ends up having a "desktop" file but whole bunch more on it which I did test/boot. Even though this is WinPE and different, seems like the Recovery Media Builder should have more on it. I didn't try to create the MMB CD from HDM2011S as I have the WinPE disk.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Did you try to run Safe Mode from RCD?
    RCD is Linux-based and probably doesn't have appropriate drivers for your hradware.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

By Safe Mode, do you mean from the selection menu after the RCD booted? If so, NO, I allowed the ten second timer to count down which should have launched in normal mode. If the RCD doesn't work this is like having a false sense of security.

EDIT:
    From the RCD menu, I selected Safe Mode before the ten second timer hit zero and got a black screen, blinking cursor and a "#" sign.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

A little bump here! Anybody get the created RMB disk to work on their machine, whatever that might be??

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

For best results, use Imgburn to create the recovery CD.

Following the application download and install, find the recovery disc ISO file and select the "write image file to disc" option.

I've used this method for every Paragon and Macrium recovery disc I have created over the past three or four years and all have performed flawlessly.

6. wptski

wptski Registered Member

In my case, would that give me access to my backup on a external USB drive as the the RMB is supossed to?

EDIT:
    I didn't use ImgBurn but CD Roller to burn the CD ISO file which created a single file labled "desktop" once again and I got the same results. There must be more needed than just that single file or the ISO image file isn't correct?

I created a RMB disk from HM2011S and it showed an extra 34 files on the CD but the results were exactly the same as with the B&R2010FA RMB. I used CD Roller to burn the ISO image file from HDM2011S and again got the same results! I may try ImgBurn but I think the results are going to be the same.

I tried ImgBurn with the HDM2011S ISO image file and the results are exactly the same.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Since I have a the paid version of HDM2011S with support, I asked why the RMB doesn't function.

Their response was like what's been mentioned here or the Linux-based RMB disc may have a problem with your system if it's old except mine is new. Their response to that was just use the WinPE-based created disc that can be downloaded for HDM2011S. They don't seem to care that the RMB disc doesn't work even on a new system!

8. Mech_An

It doesn't matter what system do you have: old one or newest. Linux-based RCD can't contain drivers for all possible devices. It is physically impossible.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I agree. That is the procedure to follow.

In the case of HDM 2011, the Linux disk is not needed. The WinPE is better and has all the "Boot Corrector" options.

10. wptski

wptski Registered Member

So if that's the case, why is the ability to create a RMB disc even included and mentioned in the manual stating what it can do for you?? What's it's purpose??

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  11. wptski

wptski Registered Member

No matter what's used to create the RMB disc, ImgBurn or whatever, it doesn't work for B&R2010FA or HDM2011S but Mech_An states that's normal. A function-less feature!

12. Mech_An

If something is 'function-less' for your specific configuration it DOESN'T mean that it useless at all.

It may appear that Linux RCD doesn't work for many people (according to this forum) but (!!!) only because happy users simply have nothing to post here.

13. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I have to agree that most often satisfied user's don't post. There ought to be a note in bold stating that the RMB may not work on some systems. If there is any doubt wether it works or not, there should be a special note.

14. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Anybody create a WinPE 3.0 disc and try to run B&R2010FA from it?

EDIT:
    A 32-bit program won't dun from WinPE 3.0 64-bit disc. After finding that out I created a disc for 32-bit. When I try to run B&R2010FA, my CD ejected and it said that it couldn't run hdm.dll, can't find hard disk library. Under WinPE, all the drive letters change for one thing. Not sure if files have to be modified or some kind-of script has to be added. That'll be way too much for me! Unless there's another way that WinPE can be used in this situation? It was mention elsewhere here that that using WinPE is better than the MRB, well how??

I tried to create a WinPE with HDM2011S and it does exactly the same thing as B&R2010FA, so creating a WinPE because RMB doesn't work isn't a simple task as metioned in this forum.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Yes all paragon apps. work beautifully in my winpe3 media.

You are correct, the paragon apps. are 32 bit coded so ( unless you put syswow in 64 bit pe3) you will need to use 32 bit pe3 to run them.

[ 64 bit users will need to download the windows 7 32 bit recovery iso, then extract it to a folder on the HD. ]

Here's how:

Copy prgiso.dll and qtp-mt334.dll from your syswow64 folder into your installed paragon app. "program" folder.

Open your installed Paragon app. main window- go to Tools>Settings and turn off vss , also turn off image splitting - (I assume you don't want that).

Mount your 32bit pe3 boot.wim, in the mounted boot.wim , create a folder in Program Files called "PAR".

From your installed Paragon app. , copy the "program" folder, the "Nls" folder , and layout.ini TO your mounted boot.wim\Program Files\PAR.

To start it up easily, put a little command file like this in your mounted boot.wim\windows\system32

code:

start "" "x:\program files\par\program\launcher.exe"

save as PAR.CMD

Unmount the boot.wim comitting the changes.

Boot it up - go to command prompt and type PAR.

Alternatively , you could use Paragon as the shell , instead of using the command prompt and PAR.cmd file.

To do that , change your mounted boot.wim\windows\system32\winpeshl.ini to read:

[LaunchApps]
    startnet.cmd
    "x:\program files\par\program\launcher.exe"

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  16. wptski

wptski Registered Member

SIW2:

Thanks for the info! I thought that WinPE 3.0 didn't support SYSWOW64?

What about your 7pecreator4? I sent you a PM about it. I thought that I found a place to download it at http://4sysops.com/archives/free-my_7pe-build-windows-7-pe-without-waik/ but not there. Toward the end of the comments is a supposed link to where it's at but that page generates one of those so-called, "Your System Has Detected a Virus" alerts. Either they are trying to sell antivirus software or their trying to fool you so they can install a virus. I had that happen to me one time!

Did I read that your 7pecreator4 doesn't run on a W7 64-bit or is it that you can't set up a WinPE 64-bit disc??

17. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can run 7pecreator on 64 bit o/s - but you need to download the 32 bit recovery iso for it to use to actually make the 32 bit disc.

Will have a look at posting another one - updated version.

Not sure when I will have the time tho.

You can just do it manually as per my above post.

18. wptski

wptski Registered Member

You mean WinPE 2/2.1 or the Vista AIK?

No such qtp-mt334.dll in my SYSWOW64 folder but prgiso.dll was there. The B&R2010FA\program folder already has qtp-mt334.dll in it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  19. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

It depends on the Paragon program - some deposit the qtp-mt334.dll in system 32 ( or syswow64 if you are on 64 bit ) , some keep it in their own program folder.

Either way , you need both of those .dll's in Paragon program folder before you copy it to your pe build.

I was referring to winpe3 as found on the windows 7 recovery disc.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

20. wptski

wptski Registered Member

SIW2:

Your da man! B&R2010FA does load now. One little quirk is that it still ejects the disc.

I didn't catch one little mistake till I ran the PAR.CMD and it couldn't find launcher.exe. PAR.CMD should be, start "" "x:\program files\par\program\launcher.exe", the path was wrong. I've been using CD-RW or I'd have a stack of coasters by now!

21. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thanks for catching that typo- have corrected it now.

Great - glad it's working for you.:D

22. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Not sure if this related to the fact that RMB doesn't work? I just for the first time yesterday tried to boot from the W7 Repair Disc that I created when I first got my PC in November. It boots to a light blue low graphics screen and dies with a error 0x4001100200001012 which I've read means a corrupt disc and this is a problem related to only Dell PCs for a few years.

Some claim that their Recovery Disc gives one the same options but it doesn't. The W7 Repair Disc would allow the option to install a image which the Dell Disc doesn't as far as I can tell.

23. Robin A.

24. wptski

wptski Registered Member

That link was posted before above by SIW2 but I never followed through with the Torrent file. Other links to that System Recovery Disc which I'm unsure if that's any different than the Repair Disc have been removed because of copyright laws.

Has anyone tried that link lately?

25. Robin A.

I just checked it (downloaded the 64-bit ISO with uTorrent). It is working perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.