What will happen to FD in this situtation

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I believe that this might simplify o_O my previous thread started yesterday:

Ok, when I obtained my new pc two years ago with WinXP Sp3, the very first thing that I did was install FirstDefense Classic. The second thing that I did was create a Snapshot with the fresh, clean, pristine WinXP: the only two things in that Snapshot are WinXP and FirstDefense.

I want to make a copy of that Snapshot so I now have two clean Snapshots so I can doing the following without losing one of them:

If I were to go to that simple, clean snapshot with only XP and FD, and install Win7 Upgrade Home Premium 32-bit, what would happen to FirstDefense? Would it be removed from that Snapshot and need to be reinstalled onto Win7 which has now replaced and, I assume, wiped out the XP in that one Snapshot? If so, would it also be removed from my entire system, all Snapshots, and need to be reinstalled everywhere?

Second and last question for now: Do I need to do anything special in order to get Win7 to install correctly in this scenario? By that I mean, are any hidden 100mb partitions going to screw me up, anything special need to be done to the MBR? Is it as simple as just installing Win7 on top of the XP Snapshot? I understand that if it works, XP would be wiped out since Win7 automatically does a "clean" install on top of XP.

Thanks to all for your patience,
    Acadia

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

I would do the following:
    1. export the xp snapshot to an archive.
    2. completly uninstall fd-isr.
    3. upgrade from xp to 7 (this is actually a clean install and not a real upgrade).
    4. in windows 7 reinstall fd-isr.
    5. import the xp from the archive to a new snapshot.

Panagiotis

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, a gazillion, pandlouk! Now, I should have version 3.31.223 in order for this to work, correct?

Acadia

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You 're welcome. :)

Version 3.31.223 should work fine but why not use the last one 3.32.235?

Panagiotis

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am still using XP but know that before long will have to make the move to 7. I would love to continue using FD but thought you needed to follow some fairly elaborate procedure to make it work in 7? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.