Evidence Of Comodo Firewall Stealing Peoples Private Information?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by markedmanner, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

I just want a straight answer on this from anyone who knows. I read different threads at Comodo and on Wilders about how Comodo Firewall steals peoples private information. Accusations of them selling your email address to third parties etc... I have even seen people go as far to say they log what websites you are viewing and have the right to files on your computer. While I agree that Comodo Firewalls EULA is not very specific about certain things what evidence is there that what websites you visit and files on your computer being sent to Comodo? I have yet to see anyone provide logs from a networking monitoring tool like Wireshark that shows that Comodo is monitoring your internet activity or that they are being sent files from your computer. So my question is is there any real evidence of this?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It's easy to discover this, just use an email address that you don't use anywhere else. If it ends up in spammer's hands, you might get a clue if your address was sold/given to a third party.

Nobody has the right to files on your computer, and that includes Comodo :)

For the rest of your concerns, you might try to do some investigation yourself. If you don't trust Comodo, why would you trust anybody else that tells you that Comodo is "good" or "bad" ? In the end, it is a matter of trust...

3. katio

katio Guest

They have a right to their "own" files on your computer: the application and supporting data files like virus definitions in the sense that they can delete, update and move them and partially send them back for e.g. crash analysis. If they have something like a "cloud AV" (yeah, whatever) such as the MS "spynet" (OK, this is even worse) they might have the right to send suspicious files to their servers for further analysis (after you clicked OK on that disclaimer).

Checking firewalls for phoning home themselves is obviously a bit tricky. You can put another PC between you and the internet running wireshark or similar. Log and check all traffic going to Comodo IPs.

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Comodo are not interested in your private data, neither do they take it. If they access any of your files, then it is necessary in order for them to provide you with a superb security package second to none.

Stealing information - rubbish ! If you really want to grab hold of a provider that steals just about everything you have if they can and give absolutely nothing back - try GOOGLE.
    John

5. guest

guest Guest

I don't believe in any anti-Comodo rubbish, unless verifiable evidences are put in the table.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

+1:thumb:

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Comodo steal my Data....rubbish.:argh:

8. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Just use Windows firewall or a router. No need for any of this other junk.

9. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I would not call it stealing .As long as you agreed with the EULA stop complaining about Comodo "looking" at your PC files .
    Kazpresky does something similar ,but i would not call it stealing because you know you have the big brother in your PC when reading the EULA :).
    Something to hide ?!

10. John Bull

Just a fundamental point aimed at the OP.

If you call in a security company or an Auditor etc. you cannot expect them to do their job if you keep half the information from them. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Employ them and TRUST them or leave them alone and do your own thing.

Security - in this case Comodo, but ANY other AV or AM program is equally applicable. THEY need to access EVERYTHING you have that they require to ensure a complete security shield is provided.

What on Earth have you to hide ? The issue is preposterous.

Just choose your AV and AM program, let them do their work properly and stop making unjustified statements about "stealing". None of these respectable companies are after your inner secrets, they could`nt care less. All they want is to give you as secure a system as they can and to do this they expect your co-operation and free access to everything applicable on your computer.

John

PS - I do not feel that this thread should have been allowed. The direct allegation which the title makes is tantamount to commercial slander and the deformation of a companies high standard of customer service and trustworthiness in the market place. It constitutes a very serious allegation and in a civil environment could well lead to legal proceedings.
    Comodo should be given the opportunity of responding.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

You're being slightly overdramatic John Bull.

This is a privacy section, BTW. How do you know this isn't a legit question from a curious customer? Could be a legit concern rather than someone seeking just fanboi replies.

I might go do some googling for my own peace of mind, I mean, for every positive comment Comodo has, I've read a negative one.

12. John Bull

I honestly feel you have made a very intelligent observation and supporting comments. Unlikely but possible.

John

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. markedmanner

markedmanner Registered Member

WOW how does the title of this thread make any "allegations" I am simply asking a question. Other people have made allegations about how horrible Comodo is and how they supposedly steal data off there users computers and even track website history. I am asking if any of these people can provide any evidence that this is truly the case. Truth be known I am a Comodo user and love their product and have yet to see anyone provide any really evidence of them doing any of these nefarious things that people seem to want to clam. I have tried several different network monitoring tools and have yet to see where my website history or anything else is being tracked by Comodo.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

You should have used a more appropriate title thread IMO.

This title IS MISLEADING and might SPREAD mis-information for people that takes things for granted (Some people don't read the complete thread to get an insight). :rolleyes:

Even i was confused, i though they were actually stealing info, until i read the whole thread . . .

15. katio

katio Guest

I'll just voice my opinion on why John Bull might have reacted in such a way:
    (In his eyes) you helped "spreading the rumour". You say "some people" in "some thread" say this and that without linking to those threads. So we are left to wonder if it's actually true that people are saying that and what your intentions are. Do you want to call them out to prove their claims? No, you made a new thread without any reference back.
    The truth it seems is that you only wanted to know if there's anything to such rumours - innocent curiosity so to speak. If you had made these links and instead had attacked unfounded allegations with a call for hard facts I'm sure your thread wouldn't have been misconceived.

I don't see anything wrong with the title. It's a bit attention grabbing (but everyone is doing that, news, TV, internet no need to blame you) but it's not misleading. It's simply a question: "Is there any evidence to this rumour?" - exactly the topic this thread was intended to be about.

16. MakePB

MakePB Registered Member

I agree with you that title is misleading. I can remember a 9 years a go discussion on old MUltiproxy forum about Zone Alarm and supposedly evidence about stealing private information's. It was big news but without good evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.