Can Someone At Wilders Explain What Is Going On Here?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DasFox, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I had a quick look at the thread and found it salacious in part. So, you are not that DASSFox, mentioned...obviously.

3. vtol

vtol Registered Member

quite curious how this will turn out.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I just scroogled "DASSfox" with quotation marks, and found "Wilders Forum Down" at #4 listing.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yep a bunch of Wilders posts are ending up on this Google Groups, I don't like this, but what I can't get is why someone would waste time being me and playing with other people's Nicks...

Look you'll see 'nix' listed there on the Google Groups who is a member here and he's cussing and swearing in a post on the Google Groups that he replied to that he wasn't cussing and swearing in, this is really odd...

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

... and potentially nasty.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

If someone knows really good Google contact information please post it, Google isn't the easiest to contact...

9. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It appears that this is the work of a long-time Usenet troll whose primary identity is "Ari Silverstein". He has many sock puppets. He's had at least two accounts on Wilders -- PooseyII and, more recently, EminenceFront -- and he may have other "sleeper accounts".

It appears that he's essentially taken over many Usenet groups. Except for the occasional stalwart defender or innocent n00b, there's nothing there except trash talk by Ari and his socks. He typically impersonates other posters, sometimes transparently and sometimes more substantively as straw-men, and then plays with them.

After his failures to dominate Wilders, he (and perhaps a team) have taken to spoofing entire threads from Wilders, some going back years. He features me as "here's my pants", for example, and satirizes my scientific attitude as evasiveness.

As I've mentioned, I decided some years ago that Usenet was a troll-infested wasteland. It's even worse now. However, given the recent activity, I've become very interested in the dynamics (but not the content, which is amusing at best). I'll let y'all know what I find.

P.S. -- BTW, it's rather hard to post anonymously to Usenet. In part, that reflects the ancient protocols. There are also newer anti-trolling features. Although you might be OK with a good VPN service and/or Tor, true anonymity requires using remailer chains. Just FYI.

10. nix

nix Registered Member

Don't worry, DasFox. This is 100% USDA canned spam, ELIZA style. It's a riff on an old download from chatterbot central, with all the cheesy charm of an early AI program.

I think it's supposed to pass for real intelligence. :D

11. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I noticed this last week!

I googled a few of the screenames from the xerobank thread and came across this dassfox person.

Weird.

12. hierophant

I wonder whether this Paul Fox is another sock, or an innocent third party who happens to also use DasFox as his online name. He has a website with a blog, and accounts at LinkedIn etc. Why would someone go through all that just to parody a Wilders user? I wonder if the rest of us have websites we don't know about. This is very strange.

13. hierophant

Do you think that "Ari" is an AI?

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I contacted this guy that owns dasfox.com he sounds innocent and I let 3am in the morning get the best of, not thinking clear, LOL...

EminenceFront, when I first saw him posting back at me, I had a feeling something was up with this person, he wasn't quite right.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  15. The_Blode

The_Blode Registered Member

AFAIK, the psuedo 'DasFox' is not a registered trademark of yours thus is freely available for anybody to use as a nickname. It's unfortunate that somebody took the time and effort to imitate you, but such is the Internet. Threatening people is not the way forward IMO.

Blode.

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well this Ari as it seems isn't just playing me but a lot of other people...

17. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

That Fox is very interesting. I guess the short yellow bus kids are at it again.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:D :thumb:

19. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I've not known any differently-abled kids to engage in "worthwhile" hobbies such as this.

20. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

A change of nick is in order, or just ride this one out, eventually he/she will get tired or bored.

21. Sheldon7

Sheldon7 Registered Member

So far i've noticed you, Nix, Caspian, Lockbox, Hierophant, and there will be likely more if one can be bothered to scroll through there.

But what the hell is it? Why would somebody bother to impersonate you guys? Can they monetize it? :doubt:

22. guest

guest Guest

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

This was done either to smear a few or bump some websites up in ratings, etc...

After all there some sites that just happened to mysteriously popup and make an
    appearance that really has no relevance on the subject matter, so consider that if you want...

But the truth here is, let's, let this DIE and 'Don't Feed The Trolls'!

It's rubbish it doesn't matter, I see it for what it was a smear or website boost, either way, subject closed please! :)

If you keep yacking we just let the trolls win and let's not do that.

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.