Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro 2.0 is already released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by 2010freesoho, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

The following changes are included in version 2.0:

1. Ability to recover files from snapshots.
    2. Ability to create a new baseline snapshot.
    3. Snapshot management, including create, lock, unlock, delete.
    4. Ability to schedule task of creating snapshot.
    5. Event Log.
    6. Ability for the user to assign a snapshot name when creating a new snapshot.
    7. Ability to change the storage drive for the snapshots (a helper tool to move the snapshot files from one drive to another drive).

Thanks,
    River

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

THANKS! That is very good news indeed. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Does the old version need to be installed before installing the new version? Or can the new version be installed on top of the old version?

3. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

waiting for x64 support to buy it, cant wait this look like a great backup software

4. 2010freesoho

Please uninstall the old version before installing the new version.

River

5. bellgamin

Oops! I got impatient and didn't wait for 2010freesoho's answer. Ergo, I installed over the top. So far it's working just fine. The installer went right to the file where I originally installed 1CRP, and installed the new version right there. Thus far it is working flawlessly.
    BUT ---
    It is *SAFER* to do as 2010freesoho said, & do a clean install.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Comments:

+ I scanned the 1CRP2.0 download with Avira & Prevx & MBAM. Clean as a whistle.

NOTE: for some silly reason, after I used 1CRP for a while, Prevx's "eye" turned from Green (Okay) to Red (Malware suspected.) I rescanned with Prevx & it found nothing. The Red eye returned to Green. Bloody waste of time. :p

+ Although 1CRP is a rather big download (88.7MB), it installs really really fast.

+ The Wizard started immediately after install.

>> For 2010freesoho -- 1CRP automatically puts itself onto autostart. IMO, the Wizard should offer the user the OPTION to have 1CRP start with Windows or NOT start with Windows.

+ I have 3 internal drives/partitions: C, D, & X. I kept snapshots for *old 1CRP* on HD X. The Wizard suggested that I continue putting snapshots there. I agreed. SOMETHING NEW: The Wizard suggested I put 1CRP "Recovery File" on HD D. I went ahead & did as the Wiz suggested, but I'm guessing as to what this new wrinkle is.

>> For 2010freesoho -- What is this new "recovery file" for? What does it do that the old 1CRP lacked?

+ I had to reenter my license. I had to be online so it could activate. It activated VERY quickly but with no acknowledgment.

>> For 2010freesoho -- (A) Most programs "remember" license information. It would be nice if 1CRP did so, also. However, I do understand the need for activation, so as to reduce the likelihood of pirating. (B) It would be *reassuring* if there was a means to view license information on 1CRP's System Tray icon pop-up menu.

+ Wow! I read 2101freesoho's list of changes but I didn't realize that 1CRP now gives a choice between new baseline or differential snapshot or incremental snapshot. Super!
    ScrHunt01 22-Nov-10.gif

>> For 2010freesoho -- When 1CRP creates a new baseline, what does it do with the old baseline & snapshots related to that old baseline? Should I move those files before creating a new baseline? Or what?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All in all, a really wonderful upgrade to an already superb 1CRP.

I hope that Keriver's TOP priority will now move in the direction of enabling 1CRP for 64-bit operating systems. Doing so should open the door to many potential customers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  6. 2010freesoho

Hi bellgamin,
    Thanks for you comments.
    Q: 1CRP automatically puts itself onto autostart. IMO, the Wizard should offer the user the OPTION to have 1CRP start with Windows or NOT start with Windows.
    A: The tray icon program is used as a progress indicator when a sheduled backup task is running. But, it's right we should offer the user the OPTION to have it start with Windows or NOT and we will fix it at next version.

Q: I have 3 internal drives/partitions: C, D, & X. I kept snapshots for *old 1CRP* on HD X. The Wizard suggested that I continue putting snapshots there. I agreed. SOMETHING NEW: The Wizard suggested I put 1CRP "Recovery File" on HD D. I went ahead & did as the Wiz suggested, but I'm guessing as to what this new wrinkle is.
    A. Certainly, a user can put the "Recovery Files" on a removable drive. But, we recommend that users should put the "Recovery Files" on fixed hard disk because the boot menu will disapear if users unplug the removable drive from the computer in case of putting "Recovery Fils" on a removable drive.

Q. What is this new "recovery file" for? What does it do that the old 1CRP lacked?
    A. The function of "Recover file" can open any of the snapshots as a virtual drive which you can copy old version of files from it just like a real drive. Please refer to this link.

Q. Most programs "remember" license information. It would be nice if 1CRP did so, also. However, I do understand the need for activation, so as to reduce the likelihood of pirating. (B) It would be *reassuring* if there was a means to view license information on 1CRP's System Tray icon pop-up menu.
    A. Yeah, it's a problem we should improve at next version.

Q. When 1CRP creates a new baseline, what does it do with the old baseline & snapshots related to that old baseline? Should I move those files before creating a new baseline? Or what?
    A. The new baseline will co-exist with the old one and you don't need to move those files before creating a new baseline. Certainly, you also can delete those files immediately or later.

Thanks,
    River

7. bellgamin

Will defragmenting my computer between making snapshots cause any problems?

8. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

looks promising :thumb:

9. 2010freesoho

No problem to defragment between making snapshots.

River

10. guest

guest Guest

Tried and liked it. But 1CRP need MBR protection

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  11. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I'm confused about the Recovery process in the following scenario:

(1) Laptop with 1 internal hard drive, and 1 partition (C:\)
    (2) C:\ drive is bootable, and contains the OS (Win7), and the Keriver 1-Click executable files.
    (3) Backup snapshots are stored on an external USB drive (X:\).

Now, assuming the internal drive C:\ becomes corrupted - and is re-formatted, how exactly does one recover from a snapshot that was stored on X:\ ?

Thanks.

12. bellgamin

You didn't say whether or not the USB drive is a HD.

In any event, I also have my snapshots on a USB drive. I have restored from it many times. Obviously, 1CRP has whatever files it needs on that drive. Also, 1CRP's *Restore Menu* is loaded during boot-up, BEFORE any drive loads.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 3 best ways to see for yourself--

1- Try it! ;)

2- Stand-by. 2010freesoho will drop by in a while. He is the expert.

3- You can also send a message to support at keriver dot com - - they reply pretty fast but bear in mind that Keriver is in time zone UTC+8.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  13. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

14. Tadoussac

Thanks bellgamin!

My external drive X:\ is a USB Hard Drive. I tried 1CRP 2.0 Pro - but I need the 64 bit version - which I believe will be released in a few days. The 32 bit version doesn't play nice with the 64 bit VSS Service, and I had some MBR corruption after rebooting. I'll wait for the 64 bit release, and test again.

In the meantime, I am still interested in learning how Restore works if the primary hard drive is re-formatted, and the recovery files reside on an external hard drive. Hopefully, 2010freesoho can shed light on this.

Thank you.

15. timcan

timcan Registered Member

This may help:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1754232&postcount=55

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Saw that magic word "FREE".

Having quite a bit of strife with data corruption on this new SSD when using full system virtualisation apps, RN and SD, so tried 1click free.

Installed Keriver, created a snapshot then uninstalled RN and installed an exe killing rogue.

Took about 2 minutes to create the snapshot which sits at around 2.7 gig for this vLited Win 7 install which sits at around 5.8 gig.

With the exe killing rogue active I rebooted and selected to restore from baseline which took around 4 minutes.

After the restore had finished the safe mode menu came up where I selected normal start which it did with no sign of the rogue with Returnil still there as well.

Early days but at this stage a keeper so far.

17. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Tried the free version in VMware, the restore console can't find the partitions if I use scsi disk.

PS. It says "1-Click Restore Pro" in the background.

Attached Files:

18. Tadoussac

Thanks for finding that! So gub4dos makes it possible to boot the system
    from the external hard drive. Presumably 1CRP also installs some executables there as well - so the Recovery process can re-write the image to the original (and now formatted) hard drive.

I am eager to see the 64 bit version, so I can take it for a spin!

19. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I purchased 1-Click on the $10.95 promotion on or around October 12, 2010. Anyone know for sure if this license is transferrable to the 2.0 version??

Also, I believe this license is also for as many personal machines as I have. Anyone remember??

20. bellgamin

I bought at the ~same time. I already have upgraded to 2.0 so - - - noooo problem

As to number of machines -- I only have 1 at the moment so ... o_O

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hmm, plugged in my usb external drive and it seems there's no selection in the free version to select where to backup.

Reboot with the external drive still plugged in and get an "invalid partition table" error.

22. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I don't remember but assume it's only one:

http://www.keriver.com/OneClickPro/license.html

23. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Great! I will upgrade later today.

I had read the information on the types of licenses on their web site but I recollect thinking at the time I bought 1-Click that it was one hell of a deal because of the licensing.......although I'm getting older and confuse more easily nowadays. I'll keep a watch on this thread and see if 2010freesoho has additional information.

EDIT: Found the following in the the Keriver Pro licensing statement:

"a. A single computer usage license. Home users may use their single computer usage license on all mobile devices which are in property of the license owner."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  24. 2010freesoho

Hi,
    You know, 1CRP uses Grub4DOS as the boot manager. So, if you have installed 1CRP, the MBR will be overwritten by the MBR of Grub4DOS and the old MBR is backed up. And when you uninstall 1CRP, the MBR will be reverted to the old MBR which had been backed up.
    I'm not sure whether it's enough to protect the MBR. If you have any further suggestions, please tell me.

Thanks,
    River

25. 2010freesoho

Hi,
    The recovery files can be located on the external USB drive while the snapshot files are also stored there. So, if even the system drive (c:) is corrupted, you can still recover from a snapshot.
    P.S. The ability to create a bootable recovery CD/DVD or USB flash drive will come when the version 3.0 is released.

Thanks,
    River

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.