Tiny Linux Kernel Patch Delivers Huge Speed Boost

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by tgell, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Article

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

What's this then, I wonder ? They talk about a certain Lennart Poettering, check it out - maybe an improvement on or related to M. Galbraith's code ? I don't know.:(

Edit:- Apparently it's an alternative 'that you can use right away'.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html

4. katio

katio Guest

In reply to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1788120&postcount=1
    You won't under usual conditions, only when you hit the limits of your system really hard you'll get a more responsive system. It doesn't make anything faster, all about the scheduling/distributing of resources across processes.

I think I've run into a situation where this could have helped me maybe once or twice, ever. It's really not the major news some make it to be. Doesn't replace more RAM or a beefier CPU...

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, I had situations when a specific Windows application running in Virtualbox slowed down my Linux desktop (although the VM is located on another harddisk and CPU load was far below 100%). That might be a situation where the patch helps.

Anyway - Linus will include it in the kernel, so we all will benefit from it more or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.