BitDefender Antivirus free again this Monday

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chriswiles, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Guys,

Just a heads up. We're going to re-run BitDefender Antivirus 1-PC, 1-Year, worth £16.99, for free, for 24-hours only, this coming Monday.

It's actually the 2010 build (don't ask, BitDefender's requirements, not ours), but your code will work with the 2011 edition and you can auto-upgrade to the 2011 edition, too.

There will also be a cheap(er) deal on BitDefender Internet Security 2011, provided by BitDefender.

We're also going to run another full app security promo later in November. Info to follow!

Promo at http://store.v3.co.uk

Chris/V3.co.uk

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what are the conditions of the offer?

3. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

Please, oh please let it be Kaspersky.

This offer is appreciative, but only to some extent when it's the like of bitdefender etc. :)

4. chriswiles

It won't be Kaspersky, nor Norton. Market-leading brands don't need to give away apps in the USA/UK etc. Only in emerging territories.

Chris.

5. Gauchoo

Oh well.

I can sleep easy tonight knowing it won't be Kaspersky.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe the same conditions of the last promo? As in, selling AVG Identity Protection stand alone at a discount then immediately stopping support as soon as the sale was over. Caveat emptor to anyone giving money to this bunch.

7. chriswiles

Nice reply Rick. Your beef is with AVG stopping Identity Protection, not us. Indeed, AVG Identity Protection is still on-sale all over the UK and USA. I've given you the links:

http://www.amazon.com/Identity-Prot..._1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1289725399&sr=8-1

"In stock and sold by Amazon.com".

Same with Amazon in the UK. It's still a product in retail. Just because AVG stopped selling it with their 2011 range, you need to take up that discussion with them.

If someone bought that today from Amazon, full price, would they be getting the same grief you're giving us? At least we ditched it from our retail range when the 2011 products were launched.

In fact, there are positive user reviews dated end of October, after the software was discontinued: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1NQSY...&ASIN=B002MFSCU6&nodeID=229534&tag=&linkCode=

And don't think we knew AVG plans. We have no idea what they are planning and no idea what products they may or may not continue. The AVG promo we ran was in August, the 2011 products were announced end of September.

Don't lump us in to AVG's "stopping support" policy, as if we're somehow responsible for that. Amazon will have zero idea the product is discontinued, right now, as much as we did in August.

Chris.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. billy13

billy13 Registered Member

Thanks Chris...:)

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And why not you on your customers behalf, surely you have a bit more clout then a single customer?

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Waiting for Monday :D
    btw do i need install 2010 and then upgrade to 2011 or can I go straight to 2011?

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Exactly. One costumer won't be enough to make things change, but if the shops that actually sell XYZ product shout out: "We won't sell products that will no longer have support, within a few days."

This is where the real problem lies. One thing would be to sell the end-of-life product, but keep the support and updates for as long as the license is valid, be it 1 year, 2 years, etc.

AVG Identity Protection, paid, which has come to end-of-life, is not getting any updates, while the free version part of AVG AV 2011 is. So, the question is: Why aren't the clients of the paid version getting updates, for as long as the license is still valid o_O

Nothing great ever comes out of these deals; there's always a catch.

12. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed:thumb:

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Thanks for using my first name in your post. I'm assuming you got that from an email/customer service request earlier. Perhaps you should review the email I was sent from Cleverbridge which said:
    I am assuming you are the same Chris from cleverbridge that sent it, especially since I was referred by customer service to contact someone named Chris Wiles. If you dispute making that statement I'll post a picture of the email with full headers, assuming the mods here will allow me to do that.

BTW- there is still a live link to the AVG Identity Protection from your downloadjunkie site, here-
    http://www.downloadjunkie.co.uk/2010/08/

You were on the bandwagon with AVG from the get-go, essentially claiming that AVG had no responsibility to let anyone know that the AVG IP would be discontinued. Here is the post you made regarding that issue-
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1758120&postcount=102

Whether or not your store knew the future of AVG IP is up for debate. But I don't think your store feels AVG did anything wrong. In reality the only way to stop this sort of sales is to bring it to light. That way people can make a fully informed decision whether to purchase from your store or not.

14. chriswiles

I'm actually losing the will to bother. It takes months to negotiate these deals and the are genuinely free.

You don't *have* to take advantage of any upgrade or promotional offer. You can ignore that.

Chris.

15. chriswiles

No. I do not work for Cleverbridge. They processed the order(s) on behalf of AVG, as part of that promotion.

I've never experienced someone with so much grevience over an order of <$10, which was through an AVG cart (not via our store) and where we're not even sure whether the product is now unsupported or not. It appears you are personally angry with us over an AVG decision which isn't even within our remit!

I'll ask AVG to refund your order.

EDIT: Rick, I've asked AVG to request Cleverbridge to refund your order in full. Feel free to keep the IDP licenses.

Chris/v3.co.uk

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  16. chriswiles

Erm, which part of the giving away of the full current AVG Anti-Virus 9 was the catch? Where was the catch?

IDP was an option. Not a necessity. 50,000 people downloaded AVG AV 9. About 50 ordered IDP from AVG, from what I understand.

Chris/V3.co.uk

17. chriswiles

As I mentioned to Rick, AVG will be giving those IDP customers a free Internet Security 2011 license, which I think is more than fair considering AVG were selling the IDP licenses were $2.95 each.

We have no clout to get AVG to continue IDP support. No clout at all!

I've asked AVG to refund Rick's money.

Chris/V3.co.uk

18. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Are you still going to run the offer? As of this writing, your featured product is Laplink PCmover. http://img278.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=17441_im1_122_532lo.jpg

When I search for BitDefender Antivirus on your site, the only products that appear are Bitfdefender Internet Security and Bitdefender Total Security.

Both Norton and Kaspersky quite often have free after rebate promotions.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  19. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

The IDP customers will get a free Internet Security 2011 license. Whats with the rants that are causing this fuss all about?

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

:) :D :D

21. Gauchoo

22. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I never mentioned a word about AVG Anti-Virus 9. All I ever mentioned was AVG IDP, paid stand-alone version.

You previously mentioned this

I don't keep track of your offerings, or any other offerings for that matter, but the simple truth is that you guys (any store, not just you) don't really care if something will become end-of-line or not.

And, would care explaining why this still happens, if you already know by now that AVG IDP 9 has achieved that EOL status? https://avguk.cleverbridge.com/421/purl-catalog

If you know by now that AVG IDP 9 is EOL, why still selling it? Makes any sense?

By the way - and this is something I have no idea - will anyone buying AVG 9 be able to upgrade for free to version 2011 straight away? Or will they have to buy a new license as well?

23. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

24. country2

country2 Registered Member

thanks Chris for the giveaways and the info on the IDP and free AVG IS 2011. I was one of those that bought the IDP and curious how will we be getting free AVG IS 2011? Thanks

25. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Well, you're kind of late to the scene and the fuss is well detailed in other forums here. But here it is in a nutshell:

1) People who paid (the full or discounted price) for IDP v9 and full support licenses that mostly expire well into next year lost v10 improvements and full support.
    2) AVG's response was to tell people to buy the AV or IS v10 (aka 2011) releases or use the Free version, all of which have full implementations of the new IDP v10.
    3) AVG's support response to paid customers now using AVG 2011 Free is to use the AVG Free "official yet unofficial" free forum where you can go fish, read you tube class best guesses or get chided by Big Al.
    4) AVG's support response to paid customers using IDP v9 is... no response. That is, unanswered emails.
    5) AVG never notified v9 customers; never offered a refund; never offered a discount for AV or IS.

"The IDP customers will get a free Internet Security 2011 license." This is the first I've heard of this and as of this point consider it hearsay especially since it's here - 95% of Wilders content is pure BS. As a customer with two IDP licenses good well into next year, I haven't heard a thing from AVG.

Two free licenses for AVG 2011 IS would quell the rants about all the fuss you knew nothing about. Until now. You're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.