NOD 32 does not notify of available updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have been using NOD 32 for many years now, i cannot ever remember a time when NOD 32 or the new Smart Security has notified me that program updates have been available. It seems it is always been left up to the user to check the forum to see if there are any program updates available. I normally use the update settings selected to ask before downloading program updates. This is my preference so I can judge wither i need to update or not by the change log. It also keeps any updates from interfering with my work so i can install the update when i have finished my work. The problem is i have never been informed that any program updates have been available when indeed there were program updates available. Ok, so i change my update setting to always update program components, and still no peep out of the updater to inform me that there are program updates available. This has been my experience with using Eset for many years. Does anyone else have this same issue? Eset, is there something i'm overlooking in the update settings? Before i'm advised; i already know i can always manually download the update from the website, but my question is should it not be notifying me that program updates are available? Below are some pics of my update settings, and also showing that my currently installed version of NOD 32 is not up to date with the latest program module updates.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You have the most current version 5605 installled. You highlighted program component update options but currently these have no effect as no program component updates for v4 have been released yet. If you need to upgrade to a newer program version for whatever reason, you can download it from the download page and install it.
    If you're about to discuss why the program is not updated automatically, please search the forum as this has been discussed here numerous times and you don't seem to be new to Wilders'.

3. vtol

vtol Registered Member

new product builds (e.g. 4.2.35. to 4.2.64.12) are not delivered/installed through NOD, announced here http://www.eset.com/rss/support-news and need to be downloaded/installed manually.

only NOD modules getting delivered/installed through NOD

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, 5605 is the latest signature update. I am specifically speaking of program updates. The version installed on this machine is 4.2.35.0. The latest version available is 4.2.64.12. I circled the update settings i had selected to show that i tried both settings, and i still was not notified of any program updates. Why is the update feature not notifying me that there are program updates available?

5. Marcos

Explained above plus you can find many threads in the ESET forum that deal with that topic.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, i read your post Vtol. Thank you for your reply. I was still typing my response to the Eset Mod when you had already posted your reply. So i am being informed that the update feature in Eset products does not notify the user when there are program updates available even though there are 2 options for this in the update feature. I have to be misunderstanding what I am being informed. Please be advised that this is a sincere question. I am not trying to bash Eset by no means :(

7. Cutting_Edgetech

ok, so its my responsibility to check the website or forum regularilly to insure i have the most up to date build or version of Eset products. Ok, I guess no other questions on this matter. It just seems the update feature is misleading. Thank you for your prompt response!

8. vtol

vtol Registered Member

as of today NOD is lacking the notification of new product builds (not be confused with modules) - might change in the future, who knows. you may subscribe to the RSS feeds from the above link through your mail software or any other RSS reader

9. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

More information on Program Component Updates vs. Virus Signature Database updates is outlined in this ESET KB article.

Regards,

Mark

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank you Vtol! That was the answer to my question. I was misunderstanding module updates for program updates. I didnt' see the difference between the two. That was misleading to me. Like i said earlier i have never been notified of any program updates in the past, and i wanted to know if i was doing something wrong on my end. I have several license, and it would be easier for me to ensure they are all up to date if the user was notified of program updates. Some of the license i have I purchased for friends and family. I don't always have physical access to their PC's and I'm always the one that updates Eset for them. I figured if they would get a notification maybe they would start doing it themselves. It must be tough for Businesses with many licenses to make sure their workstations are up to date. Though large Corporations, and Enterprises don't always update unless they are experiencing a problem with the build they are using. My inconvenience is very minuet in comparison. Thank you Vtol!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. vtol

vtol Registered Member

there seems something contradictory in this KB article

to my knowledge NOD v4.x PCU upgrades never happened automatically as advertised in the article, which the OP seemed to be concerned about. although such functionality is implied for v 3.x here

begs the question - loss of functionality between v 3.x and v. 4.x and/or incorrect KB article(s) and/or is a PCU different from a NPB (new product build)?

12. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello Cutting_Edgetech,

An example of the setting that you are referencing being used would be when ESET release a Program Component Update (PCU) for 3.0 users in February of this year. You can see the following Knowledgebase article for an example:
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2400

The article referenced above by xMarkx which explains the difference between a PCU and a Virus Signature Database update explains a little why pushing a PCU every time there is a new build isn't the normal procedure. As mentioned, this has also been discussed numerous times on the forums.

If a PCU is pushed out, the settings that you mentioned will be used and you can take a look at the article I linked above to see how we have done them in the past.

Thank you,
    Richard

13. vtol

vtol Registered Member

4.2.35. to 4.2.64.12 is then not a PCU but a NPB or did not qualify for a push out? because it does not get automatically upgraded. What is the difference between PCU and NPB - did not find a KB article about it? the article Mark cited and you are referring to does not explain a thing about what is normal and what not for PCU push outs, except A PCU is the latest complete version of the ESET security product .
    what is incomplete between 4.2.35 and 4.2.64.12 to avoid a push out?

14. Marcos

The only program component update (PCU) released so far for v3 was the PCU 3.0.695. No PCU has been released yet for v4, hence the program has never offered an update to a newer version. It's similar to service packs and hotfixes offered by Windows Update. Hotfixes are in this case module updates that are downloaded automatically while service packs (PCUs) are cumulative packs of small fixes that have been made during a longer period. A PCU is released only if a specific version has been available for longer time and no problems were reported. There are several risks involved in releasing the PCU, hence they do not occur frequently and are released with utter care to prevent users from encountering issues.

15. vtol

vtol Registered Member

that still does not explain the difference between PCU and NPB, since no PCU in v 4.x but various NPB there must be one then? how does NPB fit in between PCU and modules - scanning though the change logs since branch 4.x was released in March 2009 the NPB usually consists of fixes?

16. Marcos

Basically you're right, NPB is almost the same as PCU with the exception that PCU is in the form of nup files that can be included in the update information file on the update servers. The point is not to distribute new builds to millions of users automatically via PCU unless a particular build has been proven to work perfectly on myriads of different system configurations throughout the world within a longer time period.

17. vtol

vtol Registered Member

perhaps an idea to have a consolidated KB article, pointing out the differences between module updates (also about pre-releases), PCU and NPB - particularly that PCU being more a conservative (pushed) update strategy whilst NPB being more of an (pulled) adventurous testing nature. Could imagine that would prevent confusion and threads like this?

18. Marcos

Probably you mean this one.

19. vtol

vtol Registered Member

maybe I have trouble reading but cannot trace a thing about NPB nor the difference to PCU, as you mentioned above.

also the article mentions

To my understanding from this thread PCU are defined as pushed from Eset through NOD whilst NPB are pulled by the user from the NOD website. Thence it is illogical to point to a PCU download page, there is not even a single PCU for the branch 4.x. But the download page holds NPB to pull for those who like to test particular builds on myriads of different system configurations throughout the world within a longer time period.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

I understand it the same as you Vtol. o_O I know what i have to do though so I will just check the forum, and website regularly as i always have.

21. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Program Component Upgrades

PCU update the program parts that are the basis for using modules such as: engine, user interface and help files.

PCU include only components of the program, not module updates. That's why they are smaller than an MSI?

If a "Program Component Upgrade" occurs, then automatically I get the latest version of the program files.

So the "Program Component Upgrade" would come already integrated into a "New Product Build" from Eset Downloads Page.

I´m waiting for an explanation of Eset Mods :)

22. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Since my thread here was locked (as being redundent):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=286811

... I will restate my case. I was not asking about PCUs or automatic version updates.

Since this is the only feedback forum for ESET I know of, I respectfully request that future versions of NOD32 include some internal program notification when a new version is available. I really don't think that is asking a lot.

23. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

As a home user, that could be useful, as long as there was a way to disable it.

But as a business user, whatever you do, do not add this to the business client. I do not need 150+ people calling me about their Anti-Virus being out-of-date just because NOD released a new version that caused a popup on the desktop.

24. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

Wouldn't it be nice, however, if the ERA-server would notify you the administrator of the available update, so that you would get a headstart on planning your testing and roll-out cycle?

25. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

That would definitely be a blessing if the ERA-server would notify the administrator :)
    Best Regards
    Woodgiant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.