USBDummyProtect Fills Up Empty Space to Protect USB Drives from Viruses

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MrBrian, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. Jav

Jav Guest

Thank you, nice tool :)

But, what I liked more is one of the replies to the article:
    I am wondering if it would really work?
    Had to try some day...

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I have this setup for all of my flash drives. If you do not understand how to do any of this look it up, there are loads great guides and this is a good chance to learn a lot about the OS.

Format to NTFS
    Create folder autorun.inf
    Create file inside autorun.inf (does not matter much what this is)
    Turn on NTFS encryption for autorun.inf and contents
    Set autorun.inf to read only and system
    Use command prompt to copy an additional file inside of autorun.inf and give it a reserved word name (I use com1)
    Uncheck inherit permissions for autorun.inf, use the remove option
    Add new user "everyone" and give this user deny permission for everything

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have No Autorun and i don,t care pluging in any USB drive. It catches all of them and I zip them in the bag if I like. :)

5. Jav

Jav Guest

@nosirrah. Thank you for clarification :)

@aigle.
    I don't really like adding additional software to do every simple task when I can do it manually.

This way I am always sure what protection I really have, and as nosirrah mentioned it is a good way of learning.
    Anyway I am not really worried about infecting my system, as I use default-deny, so there is noway anything can execute from USB.
    It is just I don't like carrying around infected USB and possibly infecting others :p

6. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Same there!!!

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There are many ways to do it of course. This software is tiny and uses minimal resources I guess. I use it as I like to grab the malware via my USB. It,s good for novice users too.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

9. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I also use No Autorun. It's small, and non-intrusive since it doesn't install at all anywhere not in the flash drives nor in the system.
    I prefer having an app protecting my system against viruses delivered by flash drives rather than having to make a permanent change to my USB drive, or having to re-do it every time I reformat it.

10. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

thanks for that info, i didnt know about this tactic

but i want just to point out something ...there is a big difference between what usbdummy is for and what no autorun does
    usbdummy to protect ur flash memory from being infected but noautorun for protecting your computer from being infected when any flash memory plugged in

another thing, while i was searching, i found a tricky way to prevent ur flash from being infection without any tool
    Code:
    http://www.shaplus.com/guide/Computer_Internet/write-protect-usb-flash-drive.htm

it's old way, but i guess still working against malware

PS : After trying all methods...there still a good possibility to get infected :(

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  11. Jav

Jav Guest

I have to agree with SUPERIOR.
    There is actually diference between tool in OP's article and no-autorun.

No-autorun is supposed to protect from all kinds of autoruns.

Whereas the first tool is supposed to stop infection of the USB including infecting executables that are already present on USB

12. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Not really... I atually does both things. It does protect the computer and it can protect the flash drive aswell.

But back on topic. The other day I saw in my college pc a little app that runs a command line and creates an Autorun.inf folder in the flash drive... so I guess is kinda like Panda USB Vaccine, no? correct me if I'm wrong please.

13. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Creating the folder is not enough as it is easy to delete. Putting illegal file name files inside and/or setting deny permissions on it will make it a lot harder to delete.

14. yashau

yashau Registered Member

15. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

very true .... actually i have experienced some malwares which change folder name to random name then create its own autorun file..

um...i am not sure 100% but i guess all applications that create autorun file in ur root flash (immunizing) ..depend on the same way "ALC - if i can say so"
    actually it does protect from many types of malware..but not all for sure

here is some detail
    http://www.ntfs.com/#ntfs_permiss

16. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Not at all, the more advanced ones don't rely on ACL, special directories and files or stuff like that which can be easily bypassed by malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.