Defraggler vs. Auslogics Disk Defrag

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Matthijs5nl, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I am not sure which is defrag software I like most and I want to use, so I want your opinion. A nice opportunity to have a legit A vs. B thread!

So what is your pick Defraggler or Auslogics Disk Defrag?

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I also tested several defragmentation software on Windows 7 x86 (my actual system) today, but still cannot decide which the best is/are.
    -Auslogics Disk Defrag
    -Defraggler
    -DiskTrix UltimateDefrag
    -Glarysoft Disk SpeedUp
    -O&O Defrag Professional
    -Puran Defrag
    -Raxco PerfectDisk Pro
    -Smart Defrag
    -UltraDefrag
    -Uniblue Disk Rescue

Actually, I want defragment software, which reallocate MFT, and other boot files at most optimum place (Microsoft recommendation) and then defragment and optimize rest of data in continuous manner.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. Boyfriend

Raxco PerfectDisk Pro is very good. I have used it previously on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Unfortunately, on my current setup (Windows 7 x86), boot time defragmentation did not worked for me even in five random tries.

5. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

Do Defraggler or auslogic in their latest iterations yet have the capability to defrag the MFT, page file, have shadow copy compatible defrag etc? o_O

As these are supposed to be 'free' alternatives to the windows defragger, if they have most of the same limitations as the native defragger, is there any advantage in using them?

Commercial utilies are a different breed I agree, and you have system files defrag, fragmentation prevention, auto defrag etc, but then that's another story.

6. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I haven't used Defraggler or Auslogics in awhile, but the last time I did, I preferred Defraggler. The main thing I liked about it over Auslogics was you could click individual blocks and see the files in it. Auslogics is capable of file placement which is a bit of an advantage over Defraggler, but without the ability to see what's going where I don't know how much I'd trust it.

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

As far as I know DiskTrix's DefragExpress does what you have described and very quickly. have used it for a year now with no ill effects and it is a light & easy program to use (unlike its big brother that I find in some aspects confusing).

So this gets my vote. :thumb:

Balders

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Loving O&O Defrag, lots of option and LOTS of customization in it's latest version :thumb: :thumb:
    Really really good IMO :argh:

9. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I have never used any of these. Are they really that much better than the built in Windows defragger? I have looked at defraggler before but did not know if it would offer much beyond the Windows defragger.

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I would choose Auslogics but if you can get it go for PerfectDisk 11 Pro. Easy to use and very effective.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the main thing i dont like about perfect disk as well as diskeeper and a few others is all the running procc's in the backround even while they are not being used. even if you turn off auto defrag with pd11 it still consumes memory and runs procc's in the backround just sitting there. i also found the newest pd11 imo to be pretty slow to defrag again imo.

i just tried the newest defraggler beta and to be honest i think it *could* be a GREAT free alternative BUT it offers nothing in the way of any kind of placement. there is simply a defrag and a quick defrag. also personally i dont think the boot time does much of anything. there is NO WAY its defragging the mft and pagefile etc in a matter of like 3 seconds flat which is about how long it takes on the three pc's i tried it on.

o&o i find i actually like but like pd11 why does it need to run all the things when not being used. i turned off EVERY option for any kind of auto anything and also killed it on startup and it still each time you run it starts the procc's over again and then they continue to run after that.

to me a defragger is to do just that. i personally dont want a defragger to have every thing under the sun included just like many are doing with av's now. why do i need a system optimizer or a "free space" button etc...

i use disktrix currently mainly for 2 reasons. i own paid lic's which to be honest i would have never paid for going in knowing the level of service they provide. and 2 because it is a tiny footprint and uses very little resources without the added junk others include. it also uninstalls nicely.

my free choice would be puran defrag HANDS DOWN. it has a excellent boot time defragger and does a very good job over all with file placement and is FAST FAST FAST compared to many others mentioned. sometimes i cant believe actually how fast it runs even on older systems. also its boot time is a complete defrag not just 2 things.

after paying for and having to deal with disktrix i will never again buy into a defrag program. free will do just fine for me after this. i also own lic's to o&o (newest i got them for free from someone i know), pd11 and diskeeper. i on my own personal system i use disktrix or puran.

disktrix does take some learning imo but it is a very powerful tool when you know how and also when it works properly lol.

12. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

The main advantages of Defraggler over Windows (at least Vista & 7) is it has a drive map and you can see where everything is and what it's doing, you can search for and locate files on the drive, and you can also move large files to the end of the drive if you want.

13. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

you should ask this at the support, its not a big deal for me because i like auto defrag, im too lazy to open every month and defrag, not to mention that i will definetly forget it. :)

14. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I have been messing around with Defrag tools for many years trying to find out which one is actually the best.

To my conclusions here is what I got:

The best paid defrag tool is PerfectDisk because it gave my hard drive the best performance over a 3 month period with little system resources used to work in the background.

The best free defrag tool was Puran Defrag Free Edition, is exactly the same as its commercial version except Free for private and non-commercial use only. In comparison to PerfectDisk, it supports all of the same features including boot time defrag and auto defrag in the background. After trying it for 3 months also, I couldn't tell any difference in performance of my hard drive compared to PerfectDisk.

Others that also did well were IObit Smart Defrag and Auslogics Defrag, they did better than many of the other paid tools did. DiskTrix UltimateDefrag and O&O Defrag did about the same as IObit Smart Defrag and Auslogics Defrag.

I never got to test Glarysoft Disk SpeedUp since it is fairly new. Defraggler still needs a lot of work before it is as good as the others.
    Uniblue Disk Rescue is complete junk just like all of their other products.

Of coarse this is my findings of these products, it is possible that others might get different results. :D

Thanks.:)

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm using MyDefrag, at home and office, with my own scripts, and it's great!

16. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Between Defraggler and Auslogics Disk Defrag, I choose Defraggler.
    Among all Freeware Apps, I choose Puran Defrag Free.

17. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I installed Auslogics Disk Defrag and have started using it. I can tell a difference versus the Windows defragger. It seems to be far more efficient.

18. Boyfriend

After lot of reading/testing, I now use DiskTrix UltimateDefrag with tweaked settings. System is now fast and more response than defragmented with Auslogics Disk Defrag.

19. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Guys, have you tried MyDefrag? Seems to be pretty good.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

great program but hope you never need support lol... good luck with that i use it myself and im just waiting for the day i need support i know pretty much ill be close to on my own

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, and works very well...

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

With MyDefrag I can do almost anything like in UltimateDefrag, and other things, and it's free...

23. Boyfriend

It is working fine here. Hope I will not need support. Actually, its boot time defragmentation of MFT is what I need. It places MFT + other important files according to Microsoft recommendations (although MS own defragment do not care about it). The other defragmenter, which follows recommendations, is Raxco PerfectDisk Pro, but its boot time defragmentation does not work on my system even after several tries and reboots.

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

25. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The upcoming Defraggler 2.0 (currently in Beta version)
    offers Boot-Time Defrag ONLY for System files; not for All files!

Therefore, Puran Free 7.1,
    which offers Boot-Time Defrag for All files,
    remains the Best Freeware Defrag Tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.