NSS Labs says Antivirus is falling behind

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fsr, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsr

fsr Registered Member

2. guest

guest Guest

Trend Micro is scoring very well in the latest tests.

Symantec, Kaspersky, Eset, AVG: the most famous are the worsts o_O

3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Exactly .. all the best are the worst !!! not long b4 every1 gets infected :ninja:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

how can you take the time to do such a detailed report, and not list the software versions for each .i am curious to see if 1 or 2 was used for MSE.

5. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

What's new in this report? We all know that malware authors are one step ahead of AV vendors.. So i feel that its useless to repeat the same thing again and again...

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and with as well as Avast 5 has been doing, it seems strange to omit it from testing. Unless it is just to good for some.:cautious:

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

All tests have different results for all av's
    just 1 common result
    av vendors are behind malwarewhich is an old story
    basically all are number 1 antivirus which are all not gonna protect us from 0 day malware o_O

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Too bad avast! wasn't tested, i'd love to see how it performs against exploits.

10. guest

guest Guest

The problem of all this test is the little sample size, so each time you can get results totally different, lately all the dynamic test have used around 100 samples taking into account that every day around 30.000 (I make up this 30.000, but in 2008 the value was 22.000) malware files are created, the test can get very different results.
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/media/press-releases/viewnews?noticia=9505
    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/se...ers-Galore-57000-New-Malware-Sites-Weekly.htm

AVComparatives is going to release a test in December with almost 1000 samples if I remember well, is not a lot but probably will be the most representative test until now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  11. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Yes lord even m waiting for the av comparatives results

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Unrelated posts taken out. Stick to thread subject please.

13. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! As everyone knows Trend Micro has always rated Top of the Standings on NSS Labs testing...and on all other testing Mediocre at best...formulate your own conclusions...and the new Trend Micro Titanium is a product that's riddled with major bugs...go to Trend's forum's and read. It's also a product that does not include a proper Firewall...and the pricing is outrageously expensive...another product that wasn't given enough Beta Testing;prior to release. Sincerely...Securon

14. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

What's also interesting in this report is Exploit Blocking % (not always the same as Malware Blocking %). Additionally, the report has a nice section on performance impact of the various anti-malware software.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I got no issues with it but just feel leaving Avast out, was on purpose.;)

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

In this test, what is the precise definition of “blocked on download”?

If a security product warns the user that a file is potentially malicious (i.e., the trustworthiness of the file is low based on the collective intelligence of the user community) but it does not prevent the user from overriding the recommendation and downloading the file anyway, is that malware sample categorized as "allowed" or “blocked”?

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Good to see these type of test being done, but i'm a little shocked at the results.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

When examining the similar Whole Product Dynamic Test (August, 2010) by AV-Comparatives, the percent of malware test cases that successfully compromise a user’s security is generally low (5% or less). In the NSS Labs test, however, that number is generally two to five times greater.

What might account for a discrepancy of this magnitude?

19. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

i'm surprised to see a free report out of NSS. i'm also surprised to see their exploit testing methodology involves using metasploit. not that there's anything wrong with metasploit for what it was intended for, but using it to test av is a little like using virus simulations to test av.

20. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i cant really say it was on purpose cuz thers no way for me to know, but i will say that avast in general is quite good against exploits

21. fsr

fsr Registered Member

Avira is also out, that's a shame and surprising if you consider they now have +60 million users. Glad i didn't pay for report :shifty:

22. Smirs

Smirs Registered Member

NSS Labs based in California US Recommends after testing F-Secure, McAfee and Trend Micro, 3 American sec products, Av-comparatives an Austrian-German company never ranked Avira, a German product below the first spot in any of it's tests, Anti-malware-test.com a Russian security testing lab, guess who it ranks in it's first 4 spots? Kaspersky, DrWeb, OSSS, and Outpost, 4 Russian sec products!
    What's up with all these testing? mere concidence?

23. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Wonder how much they got paid to state that ? Most of us on here could have told them that for free :D

Where do we sign up to get $ for such statements ? :D

24. OPSWAT

OPSWAT Registered Member

One small point... F-Secure is a Finnish company. And Trend Micro has its headquarters in Japan.

25. Smirs

Smirs Registered Member

Trend Micro was founded in Los Angeles, California in 1988, F-Secure is indeed Finnish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.