Does Returnil Reduce The Lifespan Of An SSD

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by smallpebble, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallpebble

smallpebble Registered Member

Hi, just wondered if Returnil would affect the lifespan of an SSD. My thinking is that SSD's have a limited write cycle and eventually become read only. Because Returnil keeps my C drive at the same state each time I reboot, will it write to the same space on the SSD after each reboot and therefore make it read only quicker.

Thanks In Advance

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Returnil has an option for memory cache method so if you use memory cache i don't believe you have to worry. The changes are made in the memory instead of being written to the disk. If you decide to use disk cache method then sorry i don't know the answer to that. I will have to investigate that possibility myself.

3. RoamMaster

RoamMaster Registered Member

It would, unless it's specifically designed for wear leveling(which I doubt).

4. philby

philby Registered Member

Much to my dismay, I have found that opting for memory-only caching is no longer possible in RSS (it was taken away in RVS 2010, I think).

I too would appreciate some advice regarding how best to run RSS on an SSD. For example, is it wise to check or uncheck 'Wipe all disk changes at computer startup' (VM>Settings>Advanced) to clear the RSS cache?

philby

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Memory-only caching should be reintroduced ASAP :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This was one of the best aspects of Returnil, and "possibly" Unique to it. It was always an option anyway, nobody was forced to use it :p so Please bring it back ;)

I know it was said some people had problems with it, but i never did, nor did lots of others. Anyway there was a Clear warning that there "could" be issues, so it was always our choice to enable it, or not. Therefore Returnil CANNOT ever be held responsible.

6. smallpebble

smallpebble Registered Member

Because the wear leveling algorithm is built into the sandforce controller, would this have control as to where the data is to be placed on the SSD, or would Returnil and/or the OS be able to put data where it wants?

7. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Still stuck on v2008 because of that.

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Memory caching is still available, but it is the fail-safe for the virtualization should anything happen to the disk cache and is an integrated component of the default dynamic caching which uses both memory and disk. We do not recommend running this way, but it will not make the virtualization any less effective; just be aware that you will not be able to save any content to the real system in this mode.

Mike

9. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    We are working towards this with the new virtualization engine in RVS Lite 2011. It is included in RSS, but all features have not yet been fully integrated into the RSS series. In RVS lite 2011 we include multi-disk virtualization that allows the creation and maintenance of their specific caches on a different drive.

The basic issue with SSDs is their limited number of life-time writes to disk which are less than the traditional platter drive. The current virtualization engine has partial SSD support in that it allows write minimization on non-system disks. Full SSD wear leveling will come when this is made possible for the System partition as well.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.