MIL software for you, leaves no trace !

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by CloneRanger, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Well no trace on a HD anyway :D

Probably could be used by non .MIL as well, as it mentions home use too. Also it "sounds" as if, unless you need CAC, it would work on every other www that don't require that = 99.999999999999999999999999999%

An ironic scenario is, this "could" be used by adversaries against them :D

Who wants to test drive it ;)

-http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm-

Please be aware links are .MIL and may record etc your IP and visit etc.

2. box750

box750 Registered Member

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

This is nothing but another Linux LiveCD. Are you just now discovering them? There's a ton of them out there, some focused on privacy and most not. Either way, they don't write to the disk.

4. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Some of the more popular LiveCDs are

The (Amnesic) Incognito Live System
    * all outgoing connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
    * no trace is left on local storage devices unless explicitly asked.

https://amnesia.boum.org/

and

BackTrack – Penetration Testing Distribution

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

5. katio

katio Guest

So what?

I always see these warnings with gov website but why?
    What do you suppose they'd achieve by logging your IP? The usual stuff of course like EVERY other website out there - and certainly less than Google, Facebook... and if they are really after you they don't have to resort to such tactics, don't you think?

If you are worried about your government knowing your IP address I can only suggest you immediately disconnect and cancel your broadband connection.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

CloneRanger posted about a very specific Live CD. The Linux Superiority Complex continues to come out of you and a few others. Do you expect everyone to know what you know and think just like you? It seems all your posts anymore are to show how "advanced" you are, though you are often dead wrong. Chill out and relax.

Thanks, Clone, for the info.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I agree. I have my own Live CD derivative environment, and no hard drives are exposed when I surf. If I choose to download something, it does not get onto my hard drive unless I first disconnect the network between my computer and router, and mount the hard drive, and then only if I copy it onto the hard drive.

-- Tom

8. CloneRanger

Hi all.

Yes i'm aware of Linux LiveCD's, although i've never used one as yet.

Just thought it was interesting that the .MIL were allowing this to made widely and easily available on a publically accessable www ;) Plus the fact as i said "An ironic scenario is, this "could" be used by adversaries against them"

Thanks to those that provided other links & info :thumb:

I gave the IP etc warning for those that may click first without thinking, only afterwards realising they may have wished they hadn't for whatever reason/s = Too late. Some might prefer to visit by Proxy, as i did ;) Also, if i hadn't given the friendly warning, some people might have asked why i hadn't. Can't please everybody all the time o_O but at least i tried :D

If people are happy to have their IP & pages viewed etc etc to be logged and transferred onto the Big mutha/brother database, then fine. I prefer not to thanks :p Why make it easy for them, when you don't need to !

@ LockBox

9. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Got examples of me being "dead wrong?"

Well it isn't unprecedented. NSA gave us SELinux to name but one example. Occasionally the government/military will help out the public sector.

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Since when does BackTrack prevent writing to a hard disk?
    As far as I know it auto mounts the drives.

Turn that frown upside down. :)
    If you want friends you must be friendly!

Yes, when it is in the interests of National Security to help the public be better protected they get involved. Like some of the malware cleaning websites of times past.

11. Warlockz

I never said it didn't I was just suggesting popular linux liveCD's

12. ajanis

ajanis Registered Member

I would love to use this on a netbook. Has anybody used a live CD without an actual CD drive? Or does this defeat the entire purpose?

13. Warlockz

maby you can get it to boot from USB drive? not to sure never had a netbook?

The best place to ask how or if is probably in the linux section.

14. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thank you CloneRanger for the link :).

I tried v1.1.0. It takes a few minutes to boot. Firefox v3.6.10 is included. The documentation states that drivers for internal hard drives are purposely not included.

@Warlockz: Lightweight Portable Security can be booted from a USB flash drive also.

Lightweight Portable Security seems to be a nice online banking solution :thumb:.

15. CloneRanger

Pleasure :) Glad someone tried it & likes it ;) Let me know how it goes :thumb:

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Boy I'm a Linux geek of many years and never heard of LPS before, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pop this into VB and take it for a spin.

By the way if I type in 'Lightweight Portable Security' it comes up defaulting to 'Version' as Oracle.

Is this developed at all or in part with Oracle?

THANKS

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

18. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh doesn't work so well running it in VB. I wrote them an email telling them they should make VB/VM images for people to use. Much simpler if you ask me to run something like this in a VM and not have to keep bouncing back and forth booting up something.

19. box750

box750 Registered Member

I doubt they will do that, the whole point of using their live CD is to avoid leaving tracks in your hard disk, and you want to leave tracks on a Virtual Machine instead?

Unless it is for testing, there is no point using their "no tracks" live CD on a VM, you might as well use your own browser directly.

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The live cd is made how? Burning an ISO to the cd....

Now instead of burning the iso to the cd you just run this premade iso like or vm image that runs in memory also...

21. katio

katio Guest

VMs usually means you end up with swapped memory on the hdd.
    If you got enough RAM and disable paging/swap I think a VM is secure against forensics. Make sure it doesn't create any temp files/memory images on it's own but I think that only happens when you pause a running VM.

22. box750

box750 Registered Member

No itsn't, Encase can do the analysis of a VM image, it just treats it like a partition, every single bit of a VM image is recoverable.

Think about this way, a VM image physically resides on your hard disk and it is not encrypted, making a forensic analysis of a VM image is just like making an analysis of any other operating system, swap file,opened files,browsed websites,stored passwords, timestamps, etc, they are all there.

A live CD on the other hand does everything on RAM, you switch off your computer and it is all gone for good with no possibilities of recovery.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  23. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Of course, encrypt your entire computer with full/whole drive encryption and the forensic worries are moot.

24. katio

katio Guest

Wrong, you didn't read carefully. We are talking about virtualising a live CD...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.