agentsvr.exe -what is this?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by bluekey23, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluekey23

bluekey23 Registered Member

Sorry, if this is a dumb query,but this executable file showed up on my process list in last couple of days. I have definitely never installed such a process. Furthermore, PG says I allowed this to run and I'm sure I didn't(unless it was somehow injected in another process). Not sure if this is a coninkydink or not, but I just started trying out TDS-3. So, what is agentsvr.exe? Supposedly it's a MS file, but that alone is enough to make me suspicious.
    Thanks
    (sorry if this post is in wrong forum)

2. ronny

ronny Registered Member

i searched on the net and found this:

"WinTasks Process Library

agentsvr - agentsvr.exe - Process Information
    Process File: agentsvr or agentsvr.exe
    Process Name: Microsoft Agent Server
    Description: ActiveX control that helps software developers to add character animation to their software or web pages, text to speech facilities, or end-user voice commands capability.
    Company: Microsoft Corp.
    System Process: Yes
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Common Errors: N/A "

But remember i am NOT an expert ;)

3. bluekey23

Ronny,
    Thanks, but I had already searched in Google and found same info. Still doesn't explain how this process got installed on my machine. PG never gave me the option(odd and suspicious). I am thinking that this got installed either as part of TDS or possibly something more malicious.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, bluekey23

It is one of the default exe of PG Protection.
    Image of Process Kill Demo:-

TheQuest :cool:

Edit:-Read your last Post after I posted, It is one of the main Part of Windows.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yep, as the google answer says, it's part of MS files for text to speech apps... like you need to use in TDS, etc.

I never used to have it until I activated it one day to try to get TDS speech working. Never bothered since and it starts up now as a running process.

Yes, you can safely Teminate it from the running process lists via Task Manager if you like, I do. Just never think to look to see if I can stop it loading upon reboot at all. :)

Cheers, TAS

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello guys, agentsvr.exe is the steering part of the msagent technology as described above.
    It comes in win ME and XP but you might never have seen it. It makes your animated MS Office assistance appear and move around, the speech in your system and used in TDS, we use it in the msagent scripts, etc.
    A sample is in the scripts shipping with TDS Scripts in the InnerPeace.SS3 script for which you need to be all msagent ready ond not having killed that agentsvr.exe process to run it.
    The process itself when in rest takes very little resources, only when used it takes more.
    You can read all about msagent at www.microsoft.com/msagent and tryout their samples online.

7. bluekey23

Hello,
    Thanks for all the helpful info and advice. Still learning and adapting to the new software. Much impressed with PG and TDS.
    (will try to do more hw next time so as not to clutter up the board)

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Don't worry about cluttering the board, i'm in a course on decluttering myself and we have some tools for that :D
    Always good to see people asking questions and working with the software.
    TDS is a lifelong experience as we keep learning with it, even Wayne himself did not find limitations yet (only limited by our imaginations and skills maybe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.