Network connection lost after installing NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dkfutbol, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkfutbol

dkfutbol Guest

Yesterday I bought NOD32. Before installing, I uninstalled Norton 2002, then installed NOD. I reboot after the installation, and I no longer have my network connection. I can't connect to any webpages or anything on the network. I'm at school, so I went to ipconfig to see if I was getting a school IP address and that maybe the network was just down. Not only does everyone else have access, but I have an IP address of 0.0.0.0. Everything is connected as it should be and all the settings seem right to me. If I do ipconfig /release, it tells me that the network connection has already been released. If I do ipconfig /renew, it gives me an error and says that the system cannot find the file specified.

I've rebooted more times than I can count, uninstalled NOD, reinstalled, uninstalled, disconnected the ethernet card, reconnected, etc.

I also called the IT dept. here and one of the guys I know came over and was about as befuddled as I was. I am seriously at my wit's end here. I really don't know what else to do and I don't understand what the problem is. I've been sending a couple of support emails back and forth, but nothing has worked yet.

At this point, I'm seriously considering a format as an option. I don't even care about using NOD even more, although I'm pretty sure that it caused whatever the problem is. Right now, I just want my internet connection working again.

Any other opinions or thoughts here? I desperately need help....

Using WinXP Pro, by the way.

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

3. dkfutbol

dkfutbol Guest

Thanks, although I've already been through that thread. I tried the winsock fix which, as far as I can tell, didn't fix anything. At least, I still don't have access.

Thanks for the reply, though!

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just to be sure - since you're running XP Pro, you did use WinsockXPFix correct?
    I've had the same symptoms appear in the same context and this filled the bill. The the download link is here if you happened not to use the version designed for XP. Apologies if I'm belaboring an obvious point that you already have seen.

Blue

5. dkfutbol

dkfutbol Guest

If I didn't use that one before, I just used it now - still no effect.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Once opon a time I removed norton system works 2003 and after a reboot I discovered that nortons mail module took all of my ISP and DNS settings. I did some research on the subject at the time and it is not an isolated problem. It will not affect all versions of win xp home or xp pro but the ones it does affect loose the ability to connect to the web until norton is reinstalled and uninstalled again. The reinstall does not always repair the dns or ip settings but in most cases it does. I contacted symantec at the time and they were aware of the problem but had no idea how to fix it.

8. dkfutbol

dkfutbol Guest

Hmm, that's interesting. If I had the install CD with me, I'd be ecstatic. I can get it, but I guess I'll just have to deal with it for a few days.

So the reinstall does not always repair the dns or ip settings? does the subsequent uninstall then??

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I first unstalled the av it took ISP and DSN I reinstalled norton and it fixed the problem. Then I uninstalled it and it left the fixes so I was all set. But I researched the problem and that is when I found that symantec was aware of the problem. but there was no fix.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One other option you can try with XP is system restore.

11. SimonJN

SimonJN Registered Member

Uninstalling Norton can break the dhcp service, which would explain why you don't have an ip address. I've had this problem on a couple of pc's (running Windows 2000) , and the registry fix worked for me.

http://www.bl.com/moshe/text/quiddities/norton_errors.html

12. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Trust me, your network connection was not hosed by installing NOD32, it was hosed uninstalling Norton, I know this for a fact because I uninstalled Norton from my laptop since my subscription had expired, and then installed PAV plantinum, and totally lost my net connection. I tried everything under the sun to get it back too, and the only thing that worked for me, shy of a reformat, was a system restore.

13. dkfutbol

dkfutbol Guest

I downloaded the demo of NAV 2004. transported it over to my computer and installed it, and suddenly my connection had returned! I was also glad to see that the connection stayed when I then uninstalled NAV again.

Thanks everyone for your help!

14. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Wow! Way to go Slovak, SimonJN, ronjor, and bigc73542!

15. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

WOW! I am in AWE!! You guys have just cleared up a BIG mystery for me and my sister-n-law, we unistalled Norton, which came installed on our new (Dell) and tried everything. Our ISP just kept giving us shortcuts and new numbers or giving up, for a couple of months we were ready to throw them out the window(s)!! Systerm Restore was the only thing that helped, but, all the aggravation soured us on installing anything!! I hope anyone else that is going thru that hears your stories. I like mysteries, but, this was ridiculous!! THANKS!!:D

16. Schwarzwald

Schwarzwald Guest

Start > Run > Services.msc > DHCP Client > Run

If that doesn't work (it's fussy sometimes) then

Start > Run > Regedit > Hkey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP

In here, look for a key called DependonService. Double click on that and delete the last entry if it is something starting with SYM. Some sort of protection thing Symantec made, and it doesn't uninstall. It will definitely work if you broke your network by uninstalling Norton.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is great you got it fixed. I suppose I have been very lucky. I have had all sorts of Norton stuff and various versions of NAV (including beta ones) on my W98SE box and never had any problems when I uninstalled them for other AV.

I had NIS (came with my router) on this new XP box with no problems on removal. I asked for NAV on my new XP box as Dell wouldn't sell me a box without an AV on it even though I told them I planned to remove NAV as soon as I got the box and put NOD32 on it. I asked for NAV instead of McAfee because it is really difficult to remove. I had no problems after removing NAV although I had to search around the registry to get what was left after the uninstall and I still have some shared files with Symantec. So, this problem just happens to some. I wonder what it is that causes some to have this problem and others not?

18. DougWeller

DougWeller Registered Member

Uninstalled Norton.
    No problems, network connection ok.
    Installed Nod32. No network connection.
    Uninstalled Nod32. Connection fine.
    Installed Nod32 again. No connection.
    Uninstalled Nod32 once again. connection fine.

Now what?

Thanks.

Doug

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try installing without Imon to see if that is causing the connectivity problems.
    I assume you downloaded the latest Version 2 from the Eset website.
    Since Imon works at the winsock level, that is where I would look first.

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Doug, do the following, I have done so on 1/2 dozen PC's that had Winsock problems and it has worked like a treat every time to date:

Step 1: Delete the corrupted registry keys

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, locate the following keys, right-click each key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

4. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note Restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys. Doing so causes the Windows XP operating system to create new shell entries for those two keys. If you do not restart the computer after you delete the Winsock keys, the next step does not work correctly.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP

1. Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
    2. Click Install.
    3. Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    4. Click Have Disk.
    5. Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
    6. On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
    7. Restart the computer.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

21. Tempest

Tempest Registered Member

Did this above technique work for you ?

I also have the same issue:

Uninstalled Norton.
    No problems, network connection ok.
    Installed Nod32. No network connection.
    Uninstalled Nod32. Connection fine.
    Installed Nod32 again. No connection.
    Uninstalled Nod32 once again. connection fine.

Only difference is I didn't have Norton on my machine.
    My machine has a Clean install of XP with SP2

There was nothing to uninstall, just NOD to install, which now I can't use.
    If the above did work please let us know.

Thanks

22. Blackspear

Like I said in the above post, it has worked like a treat on 1/2 dozen machines, it is not a hard thing to do, and the steps I have posted are directly from a microsoft website...

Hope this helps...

23. Tempest

Tempest Registered Member

Thanks...

I'm just curious...

OK, say you install NOD32 and whilst loading it does affect the winsock settings? inside windows, then fair enough.

But, why would uninstalling NOD32 make everything work again ?

People seem to have had this very same issue, before me, and no-one has reported doing this has fixed the problem (you would have thought they'd be posting jumping up and down with joy as this problem is fixed) but not a peep from them.... odd?

I'm wondering if it's an AMD64 issue, as trawling through the postings the AMD64 was mentioned by a lot of people with this problem.

Very odd indeed.

24. Blackspear

Hi Tempest, I don't know the full in's and out's of Nod32, other than my own experience. When my own machine could not connect with one of the Beta's after a new install, I then did the Winsock fix as I have described above, and this restored connection.

The following link explains Winsock fairly well:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

"This type of software is known as a Layered Service Provider or LSP, a piece of software that can be inserted into the Windows TCP/IP handler like a link in a chain. However, due to bugs in the LSP software or deletion of the software, this chain can get broken, rendering the user unable to access the Internet."

Hope this helps...

25. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I have had luck using the repair network adapter on the misc. settings tab in IMON, I think it does the same thing Blackspear mentioned with deleting reg keys but I am not positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.