Mount and Explore etc..

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Dundertaker, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi:) ;

New trying out PBD free here. Yeah..the "Help Section" is so..so..tsk. I've used 4 image back-up software to date and this trial is for a friend who requested it. She's new to image backup and just does file backup via CD/DVD's/flashdrive. I am testing it for her (so when there's a problem it's me..lol!..women..) I encountered a "hiccup" earlier. Have given up on the Help Section and found this sticky thread.

"(4) Using ‘Mount the Selected Archive’ option (for 32x Windows only)
    1. Go to Archives tab.
    2. Right-click the required archive and select ‘Mount the Selected Archive’ option
    3. Assign Drive Letter and click Yes
    4. The Archive will appear in Windows Explorer as a Hard Disk Drive. You can copy files/folders from this drive as usually."

In the previous softwares used I am able to mount the archive to a drive letter of choice(as stated in #4) but following it got me nowhere. Archive was verified. No errors whatsoever. I tried to previously restore from an archive via the Recovery CD. I went trough but I was dumbfounded to not get a confirmation upon booting to the Windows. I only showed the confirmation when it finished the process in via the Recover CD and when I exited. There was none anymore as to the success of the image restore.

All softwares I used previously will show a "message" like "Restore Successful" or something like that....when/before booting to Windows (on the restored hdd). One would even (it said normally..) perform a checkdisk before restoring and then confirm also prior booting to Windows.

Please see image attached. My points:

(a) I want to explore the contents of the archive. Mount it in a drive letter of my choice and copy/paste items from there to the active partition. I don't want to restore just yet. Just want to see the contents before I restore. How may I do that?

(b) Also, I know I can explore the contents of an archive by not mounting it. That is a stipend for all backup imaging softwares. I don't want to restore just yet. Just want to explore without mounting the archive to a drive letter and check the contents. How may I do that?

(c) I hope the Help Section will be more "easy to understand". If a newbie is gonna rely on it chances are non-continuance will be the result. My friend is not a techy person(so am I..lol) but if he/she is not relatively keen on using forum help then they would just abandon using the product. Forums are very useful instead of support. Have proven that to myself a number of times especially with hardware. But some are like ..."if it ain't working..if it gives you problems..ditch it" guys.

Thank you and hope for help on my "hiccups".:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Dundertaker

What Windows version do you have 32-bit or 64-bit?
    If it is 64-bit, mount is impossible.

But there are 3 other ways to browse existing archive.
    There in no need to continue wizard to Finish. You can browse archive and then click Cancel.

Note: When restore fails, you will get error.
    When restore is successful, it shows that operation has been finished.

3. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Click on the 'Show all' drop-down box and select 'Show partitions'. Select a partition and you should have the option to mount it.

4. Dundertaker

Hi guys;

Thanks for the reply.

@Mech_An:) ;

"What Windows version do you have 32-bit or 64-bit?
    If it is 64-bit, mount is impossible."
    -- You earlier stated this in the sticky and I took note of it. Yes, my test hdd is on XP SP# 32bit.

"But there are 3 other ways to browse existing archive.
    There in no need to continue wizard to Finish. You can browse archive and then click Cancel."

-- I was/still asking the "Mount" feature first as I am not in the "3 other ways" you are mentioning. I just want to clear this hiccup first with the "mount feature" then I'll go to the other 3 ways. Don't worry there will be a lot for me to ask as this is a test/trial use for recommendation if she will take it or not. Was offered the paid version with a discount here that's why she asked me to try it out, also as mentioned before.

I'll get back on this. Thanks.

@stackz:) ;

I'll check it out a little later. I'll get back to you on this.

--

Any other tips or approaches are very welcome. This is I think a good software. Just wanted to iron the hiccups on usage. I also hope that the "Help Section:cautious: " will be improved. If not for this forum interest in further usage would have drop magnanimously.

Thank you very much for assistance. Will wait for more replies.:)

5. Dundertaker

Hi;

stackz's reply did it. I'm still on the trial but will defer the other questions so the next will be more longer. Will also attach pics of the solved issue here next time. Maybe there should be some amendments to the Help Section about it because it's not there at all. I have to attend to another beta test.

Will be back here for more questions.:D

6. Dundertaker

Hi;

Have successfully made a differential backup and restored it efficiently. The tip of stackz is the basic guideline since it is not mentioned in the poorly made Help Section. If you will rely on the Show all, you will really will not go anywhere. It has to be kept to display "show partitions" and view file mode so you can select the appropriate file in the location that you placed it.

Will get back here to post on developments.

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.