Alignment Tool hosed partitions...I think I made things worse. Can someone help out?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by neromadrid, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neromadrid

neromadrid Registered Member

I'll try to make a long story short:

1) Have a WD 640gb disc in 3 partitions
    - C: system
    - E: for TrueCrypt volume which is mounted as D:
    - F: media

2) I mount on D: which is the entire partition of E:

3) I used the Paragon Alignment Tool (don't ask me why) but I had to interrupt the operation using the cancel tools. They're very clear about power outages etc, not so clear about PAT hosing the drive even if you use it as indicated.

4) After reboot I had no F:

5) So I read up and downloaded TestDisk. I thought I was using it correctly when I saw that it had found F: So I wrote the MFT.

6) Rebooted and now I had E as unallocated space. (see here: http://i.imgur.com/gQL1o.png I tried mounting my volume with TC and nada. Says that it's not a TC volume.

I then tried assigning the drive letter E to the space but that didn't take either.

Now when I run TestDisk I see two FAT32's that are identical. http://i.imgur.com/MLfs5.png. I just don't know what to do from here and I definitely don't want to make a mistake.

Can someone please please please help. This is my personal and work partition...it's my life :(

There are a couple of things that I read while cruising the boards tonight:

a) The container was created with TC 6.1 I believe which from what I understand is cause for optimism.

b) I'm guessing part of the problem is that the free space is FAT and not NTFS. I read something about doing a quick format but the "f-word" scares the bejesus out of me right now.

c) If I'm reading TestDisk correctly it seems like my data is intact. Looks like the container just with a corrupt MFT.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. neromadrid

neromadrid Registered Member

anyone?

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.