STV's Compliation of Prevx 3.0 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by STV0726, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

STV's Compilation of Prevx 3.0 Suggestions:

1. Add an option (either in the settings, or a small link at the bottom) to export and import a configuration file. Even though the software for personal use doesn't have many options, it is still helpful and convenient for setting it up on multiple computers. It also gives anal retentive people such as myself who have clinical OCD breathing room to know that their hardcore triple checked heuristic settings are backed up.

2. Simplify the list of components (aka security status):

- Scanning & Detection
    - Malware Removal (I somewhat miss the "CSI" lol)
    - Realtime protection
    - SafeOnline Browser Security

And match each of those up with the feature and $$$ list on Prevx's main page to make it more clear what the user bought.

3. Add more depth and accuracy to the Security Status banner.

Green, "Protected" - All paid for components are active.

Green, "Clean" - Evaluation monitoring enabled. (I personally doubt the difference in term there would cause the avg user to notice)

*Yellow, "Check Settings" - Enhanced rootkit detection and/or realtime master boot record scanning is disabled in Basic Confg, and/or one or more heuristics is disabled.

Blue, "Scan Required" - Leave as is, however, if a scan is canceled, and there was a previous scan within the last 24 hrs, let it be green. *Also, if a scan has not been done for more than 72 hours, change status to blue to remind user that daily scanning is recommended.

Red, "Infected" - Leave as is.

Red, "Caution, 'Component' Disabled" - Leave as is. Though why does this happen in Safe Mode? Is it not possible to leave everything on in Safe Mode?

4. Add scan type choice in the Scheduled Scans options.

Although Prevx claims their Deep Scan is solid and a Full Scan is never required, it would still be convenient and potentially beneficial for users to be able to schedule a full scan for at night when they are asleep.

5. Scan completion percentages don't seem intuitive or fully logical.

62% is when it connects and starts to compare results which generally takes a few seconds, so really, 62% seems like it should be the 99%. I don't know exactly how the mechanics works as I know it is very complex but the scan percentages seem to be unintuitive. Not really a big issue I suppose, but some parts of the procedure fly through while others take a bit more time which is why a more accurate percentage could be helpful from a UI stand point.

*6. Perform a new learning scan to allow Prevx to re-analyze your system and determine how to best protect it. This could potentially solve the re-installation benefits issue I talk about in my previous post.

Just some suggestions.

I love this software and it's by far my top choice for the single best PC security software on malware prevention and protection. Go Prevx!

PS
    By all means if something I've suggested is fundamentally wrong, illogical, or not possible by a more profound knowledge of the software, please let me know, I understand. I am not an expert, just a somewhat advanced user.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

:thumb: Thank you for the suggestions! A number of these we had not previously considered but are certainly good ideas :) I'll see how these can fold into the overall roadmap of Prevx 4.0.

Thanks again :)

3. STV0726

Awesome, Prevx 4.0 is in the works! I can't wait!

I tend to be a very UI-oriented person when it comes to how I work with software. I like evaluating the user interface and seeing what I'd do to make it more organized and intuitive. So much of Prevx is already so intuitive, for me the biggest thing out of all that is probably just the Yellow status because I always find myself worried that I accidentally checked off MBR scanning in the options and I wouldn't know, lol.

Thanks for the response!

4. STV0726

I am going to add yet another suggestion... please keep in mind that this one is more "marketing" than anything else... though it does have some practical use. I got this idea from seeing a review of a security software called Immunet, which is fundamentally similar in concept to Prevx with community based protection.

I think Prevx should have a small icon or graphical item on the main status page that shows community status. This will make people more aware of the community aspect and ensure them they are receiving full protection. Displaying a ticker that says something like "xxx,xxx,xxx PCs online." Again, got the idea from Immunet which shows a rough # of the PCs online part of the scanning community. Not sure if they are pulling it out of their butts or if it is possible to poll a #. But I thought it was a cool idea. Also could show a Not Connected if the Internet is turned off to alert users they are getting heuristic only scans.

http://www.immunet.com. They almost make it like a sub-social networking thing. It's an interesting yet somewhat strange idea. Make a social network out of community based AV protection. ;)

5. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I would second that. I recently renewed by prevx sub for another year and made the mistake of trying to remind myself what exactly each of the components did, and did not, include - took me about an hour to get my head round it! I suspect if you are trying to get Prevx 'mass market' you will need to sort out the options. I showed them to my wife and she just gave me a funny look. Her understanding of an 'anti-virus' app is that "it will stop viruses infecting your computer". "Ahh, I say, but do you want it on be 'real time' protection or 'on demand', do you want to add 'browser protection'? "Do you want 'malware removal' with that?" Confusing for the average person I would think.

I run prevx with NIS2010 (work fine together) and I guess you get used to having no component options with the NIS purchase, on the surface it just 'does everything', I know you can turn off components when you look under the hood later.

Being presented with so many options at purchase would scare my wife off... she'd be afraid of making a mistake. She wants to be told, "buy this product and it includes everything you need", you don't need to make any component choices.

Maybe that was your idea with SafeOnline Facebook Ed. I can see that is being marketed in a much more straightforward way as a 'fire and forget' app. I suppose you could extend that brand name idea buy keeping Prevx as the premium (all components included) and coming up with other names for a cut down component version - 'Prevx Essentials'? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.