Dell offers free Web browser security tool

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cudni, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This looks alright but the main issue is that I do not trust Dell. They track users all over the web and this seems like it may be able to enhance that for them. Then again, maybe not. What makes this set up better than running a browser in Sandboxie or GesWall? I am not trying to start an argument- just wnating to know what makes this better than either of those two options.

thanks

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Probably nothing. But it is another thing to test/try :)

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

buy.gif

Didn't see it said free anywhere ?

Tried to DL it, needed endless amounts of scripting and several iframes to get through various pages. Not good practice o_O When i did, filled in the boxes, but no DL ? No mention of requiring an email conformation link either ?

I see it comes bundled with Adobe reader and Flash. Good thing they will be sandboxed with this :D

I'd like to test it with malware, if i can get a copy that is :D

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

According an article at Maximumpc.com the browser is free, however I can't find a download link. I went to Kace site and registered, but after clicking the download now button another page with Kace products appeared - very annoying.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Attached Files:

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the download link. Does the Kace Secure Browser install to a unique directory? I already have Firefox installed and wouldn't want to mess it up.

Edit: By the way, the stated download size was 10 megs, but actual installer is 75 megs. Anyone else seeing that?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. CloneRanger

Thanks for the download link :thumb:

Same here :D

Yes, wierd ? And i thought 10 megs was big, but 75 megs :eek: Maybe it's because it includes the bloated Adobe reader :p or ?

9. CloneRanger

Installed this a little earlier, or i should say tried to.

icon.gif

Didn't go well at all :(

Will post my experiences with it, along with numerous screenies later on.

10. CloneRanger

Install attempt of Dell/Kace secure browser.

As promised, here's what happened. Did a System restore as a precaution, then Enabled ShadowDefender.

wel.gif

Almost immediately it wants out !

za.gif

dest.gif

eula.gif

Why are there 2 options ? If it's supposed to be a SB app install, there shouldn't need to be the other option ? Anyway neither attempts installed ?

zem1.gif

Next

11. CloneRanger

za2.gif

comp.gif

During the install phase, as well as msiexec.exe, Explorer.exe tried multiple times to get out :eek: I have ZA set up to automatically block such potentially unsafe vectors. I don't think Dell should be using that method for installs :thumbd: I mean why would they "NEED" to ?

fw.gif

Found this in Drivers

npf.gif

ar2.gif

Next

12. CloneRanger

crash-rep.gif

ar1.gif

Not impressed :p

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

By the way there's a forum that supports "Secure Browser". I registered and posted there mentioning the matter of the two buttons during the install. I also posted a link to this thread, so maybe the Kace support people will check it out. I'll post here if I learn anything.

Edit: I installed this in an XP VM without problems. I didn't encounter the two button option either. What OS are you running?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  14. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I saw in the video anything you download is send out of the sandbox. This does not sound safe. What if someone accidentally downloads something that is malicious. OOPS its now on your system. Why not just have it in a lil spot and ask if u want it to be downloaded after downloading/exiting the sandboxed apps like sandboxie does?

15. CloneRanger

Good man :thumb: Be interesting to hear what they say.
    XP/SP2

If that's the case, then it should be changed ( Maybe as it's called secure browser that's all it is ? Anything going on in the browser is safe, outside, is outside it's modus operandi. They probably tried to keep it simple so most folks won't get confused ?

Having said that, as it's supposed to be free, if people can locate it :D and then install it :D it's better than nothing, and should be welcomed. Don't like the bundled Adobe PDF reader though, and HUGE 75Megs file size :thumbd:

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Then is there any real advantage over running the standard Firefox in Sandboxie?

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Adobe reader will be sandboxed with upcoming release. Interesting to note that it's only for Windows. Reason being that Unix's are far less susceptible to the vulnerabilities that Windows users face.;)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20011015-245.html

EDIT: I see ronjor has already mentioned this as well .. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=277602

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  18. betacheck

betacheck Registered Member

My install does not activate the Secure Browser button at all. You can see that I have scrolled to the bottom of the license agreement and checked the accept license check box. Still "Secure Browser" button is greyed out. I am allowed to install only FireFox.

What did you have to do to get the Secure Browser button on? I registered on their site as a new user. At the end of the registration I got a successful message. But it looks like their registration is not working as well. User lookup fails when I atttempt to recover password.

Oh well, their installer is not ready for primetime yet.

Attached Files:

19. betacheck

betacheck Registered Member

Correction:
    Depending on which push button I click, the license agreement is toggled in the text box. But it installs only FireFox. If I run the installer second time, I get to choose either "Remove" or "Repair". But Repair does not provide the option to install the secure browser. It merely reinstalls the FireFox package.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is a reply to the message I posted on the Kace Secure Browser forum:

"We will actually be taking this out, the buttons for the Secure Browser and Firefox are to switch between the two end user license agreements. There is just a single Windows Installer installation and this is just so you can see both EULAs to which you are agreeing. As it turns out, the license for Firefox is now presented after installation and need not be part of the installer as is typically the case. Our next release of the Secure Browser will remove this."

21. CloneRanger

Originally Posted by vasa1

Probably not, and especially if it doesn't work !

Not before time :D

I wouldn't expect otherwise !

Originally Posted by betacheck

Just reinstalled.

Niether is their product, from what i see :(

@Victek123

Thanks for the communication :thumb:

22. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Does anybody knows if its overwriting existing Firefox installations or making
    a mess of it.

Bo

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It made a mess of mine after uninstalling it.I reverted back to an image.
    ellison

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thanks Ellison, I guess we ll have to wait to try this one out.

Bo

25. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Since Sandboxie is technology that's well-proven,light and very secure I can see no advantage whatsoever to use this bloated application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.