Paragon Alignment Tool did nothing

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by Anakunda, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakunda

Anakunda Registered Member

Hello there,

I did a try to this new tool from Paragon. Installed and run and selected my system partition for the tryout. I did everything as instructed. Reboot. PAT started to work and when I returned back after several hours computer was back to Win and PAT windows showed telling selected partition was NOT aligned. No reason. No explication.

Looks like this tool just offers zero music for zero money. Or did anyone successfully aligned a drive? Was the performance improvement noticeable?

I'm strongly in doubts this tool is doing what it promises.

2. Anakunda

hmmmmmm..really interesting approach
    checking the progress PAT only in boot time mode performed system integrity check and announced reboot, no info, nothing, very interesting

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6259/patsummary.png

if anybody got idea what's the matter plz. give me a know

(btw. system integrity is OK as reported by chkdsk C: )

3. ptcruisergt

ptcruisergt Registered Member

Have you tried a defrag yet? Strangely, that was the trick that made it work when I was having the same problem. It's almost like it needs a large amount of contiguous free disk space for some reason.

4. Anakunda

Space?? Around 7GB free on 64GB partition. Defrag done shortly ago however, PerfectDisc SmartDefrag offline.

5. Anakunda

Code:
    ===============================================================================
    Check file system integrity
    The volume has some errors. The errors were not fixed. To fix the errors please run checkdisk utility.
    File system: NTFS
    Bad clusters: 0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directories on volume: 0
    Files on volume: 346,334
    Volume size: 64 GB (68,796,207,104 Bytes)
    Free space on volume: 0 Bytes

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1305/chk.png

Any feedback how to fix this error ?

chkdsk doesnot see it for sure

---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is now sure there's an unspecified error on system partition which prevents all paragon tools to run on it.
    TotalDefrag given up with unspecified error.
    The question is how to remove this error if M$'s chkdisk fails to find anything wrong.

Please help !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  6. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Anakunda,

Could you please upload archive of the problem partition to Paragon. Please check your private messages, I will send instructions there.

7. Stuee

Stuee Registered Member

I had the same problem. Alignment Tool, both in Windows running from my original installation on HDD, and via reboot running on the newly cloned SSD, spent several minutes doing precisely nothing only to finally pop back up reporting Disk not aligned. Most frustrating.

Eventually I had a thought that maybe it would help if there was some unallocated space on the disk (previously the partition took up the whole drive) and it worked!

First I optimised and resized the partition to make it as small as the data on it would allow (I used O&O Partition Manager but I'm sure any tool would do) and then ran Alignment Tool again. This time it actually showed me a progress bar which moved along until it was finished, then the main window popped back up again with a nice green pie and the word 'Succeeded' :)

Then I adjusted my partition back out to the full size of the drive (making sure not to adjust the start point!), checked in Alignment Tool that I hadn't broken it and all seems fine :D

Hope this helps somebody out there. I've read quite a few posts complaining that PAT didn't do anything for them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. ptcruisergt

ptcruisergt Registered Member

I just had another system that PAT was unable to align :( I tried chkdsk, defrag. I decided to shrink the drive by 1MB to see if that would work (thinking, maybe PAT needed a little bit of free space). This time, it worked!

9. theresa_n

theresa_n Registered Member

I tried everything mentioned an the Alignment tool does nothing. I have tried shrinking the partition, defragging, disk checks (multiple times) and Paragon quits after checking for errors.
    Will I ever be able to get it aligned? :(

10. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

11. theresa_n

theresa_n Registered Member

I did contact them a couple of days ago. Still no response. I have continued to try to align with PAT but with no luck. It didn't matter if I made the partition smaller, many many disk checks and nothing helped. Its the most frustrating software I've tried to use since the days of the Commodore 64.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.